How can moslems believe that the bible is corrupted if mohammed quoted from it?

“Hear now this, O foolish people, and without understanding, which have eyes and see not, which have ears and hear not.” (Jeremiah 5:21)

“And certainly We have created for hell many of the jinn and the men – they have hearts wherewith they understand not, and they have eyes wherewith they see not, and they have ears wherewith they hear not. They are as cattle; nay, they are more astray. These are heedless ones.” (Surah 7:179)

“The righteous men shall inherit the land, and dwell therein forever.” (Psalm 37:29)

“And certainly We wrote in the Book after the reminder that My righteous servants will inherit the land.” (Surah 21:105)

“Thus saith the Lord the King of Israel and his redeemer, the Lord of hosts, I am the first, and I am the last, and without me is there no God.” (Isaiah 44:6)

“He is the First and the Last and the Manifest and the Hidden, and He is Knower of all things.” (Surah 57:3)

“And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.” (Matthew 19:24)

“Those who react Our messages and turn away from them haughtily, the doors of heaven will not be opened for them, nor will they enter the Garden until the camel pass through the eye of the needle. And thus do We reward the guilty.” (Surah 7:40)

“Dearly beloved, be not ignorant of this one thing, that one day is with the Lord, as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day.” (2 Peter 3:8)

“And they ask thee to hasten on the chastisement, and Allah by no means fails in His promise. And surely a day with thy Lord is as a thousand years of what you reckon.” (Surah 22:47)

That is a good point!

Why do protestants believe that the Catholic bilbe with the additional books is corrupted??

:shrug:

It is because they are brainwashed into believing this by their preachers. Even the Catholic Bible is incomplete. The Septuagint has many more books, and both Catholics and Protestants are guilty of rejecting SOME of there books. Moslems, on the other hand, reject the entire bible in favor of the unholy koran. What I find ironic is that they have not noticed the problem of the unholy koran quoting the holy bible and fixed it. :blush:

I was a Protestant for many years, and we never believed that. Are you speaking of a particular denomination???

How can Christians believe that non-biblical texts are not inspired when the Bible quotes them?

In both the Christian and the Muslim case, the sacred text is sacred because of its own message, which means that it can borrow material from other sources which are not sanctified by that borrowing.

I wonder if the words in this post are even read out loud before the “submit” button is clicked?

It’s incredibly sad to hear Christians being so disrespectful to others Books of reverence.

“How can moslems believe that the bible is corrupted if mohammed quoted from it?”

I know many Muslims believe the Bible or the Gospel was corrupted but I think it may mean misinterpreted…

There are verses in the Qur’an that suggest the Gospel is a fair test and so is not corrupted…such as

“And let the People of the Gospel judge by what God has revealed in it. If any fail to judge by what God has revealed, they are licentious.”

Sura 5:71:

also:

“He has revealed to thee the Book with truth, confirming that which is before it, and He revealed the Torah and the Gospel aforetime, a guidance for the people, and He sent the Criterion (al-Furqan)…”

Sura 3:3

What would the view be on the verses below, corrupted or misinterpreted?

But even if we, or an angel from heaven, should preach to you a gospel contrary to that which we preached to you, let him be accursed. (1 Peter 3)

Baptism, which corresponds to this, now saves you, not as a removal of dirt from the body but as an appeal to God for a clear conscience, through the resurrection of Jesus Christ, (Gal 1:8)

The corruption point came to mind when I read the news today.

“It is unfortunate that Mr. Netanyahu now totally distorts realities of today,” Zarif said. “He even distorts his own scripture. If you read the book of Esther, you will see that it was the Iranian king who saved the Jews.

haaretz.com/news/diplomacy-defense/1.645497

Anyway we need to be more respectful of these holy scriptures and basically for the same reason without propaganda as above “history”. We need to work together to preserve it. A point which comes to mind in both Quran and Bible is the Queen of Sheba. A comparative point which in both cases is historically relevant. :slight_smile:

Muslims do not reject the entire Bible. They believe that some of the Bible is divinely inspired and is the word of God, but that parts have been added to it that are not divinely inspired while others have been subtracted.

The books accepted by Islam as divine revelation are the Torah, the Psalms, and the Gospel of Jesus (fragments of Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John, but not the parts written by Jesus’ followers). They hold that pieces of Jesus’ teachings exist in the Christian Gospel, but that much has become distorted by the writings of his followers. They believe that due to this corruption of the Bible, the Quran supersedes the Bible, and thus Muslims are to take instruction from the Quran instead.

[Muslims are welcome and encouraged to correct me if I’m wrong]

You do have an interesting point there, but I think there is a difference between claiming that something is not inspired and claiming that it is corrupted. Moslems believe that the ORIGINAL Bible was not corrupted, but the Bible of today IS corrupted. Thus, If the Book of the Wars of the Lord showed up in the Dead Sea Scrolls, it would not prove that the Bible is false. But if the Bible of today is corrupted, then in should not be quoted in the koran. :compcoff:

That would only be true if they believed that it were so *completely *corrupted in its *entirety *that no part of it could *ever *be trusted, which is rather extreme. Islam does not, for example, assert that Jesus never existed, or that Mary was not his mother, or that Moses did not lead the Israelites: it accepts parts of what the Bible says.

The Bible quotes excerpts of non-biblical sources because its writers believed those particular extracts to have value to their own greater message, not because its writers believed the whole texts to be God-breathed. The Qu’ran treats the Bible the same way.

Islam would argue that the Quran is not contrary to the true gospel. In fact, it IS the true gospel…

However, I must put in a caveat here. Islam arguing in such a way is not FULLY supported by the Quran either.

As a Bahai, I believe some parts of the Quran AND the Bible have been misinterpreted.

So then does that mean that the parts of the Bible that are quoted in the koran are not corrupted, according to moslems? If so, then how do they determine which parts of the Bible are corrupted and which parts are not? If they have a way of doing this, then why don’t they just remove the parts that they believe to be corrupted and make a Bible for moslems?

Their view of their sacred text is quite different to most Christian views of the Bible.

There is a rather complex Islamic doctrination called naskh (“abrogation”), in which some parts of the Qu’ran supersede other parts. However, there does not seem to be complete consensus as to which overrule which. I cannot explain it to you because I simply do not understand it sufficiently well to do so, but there are a few Muslim websites which address it.

I see.

“Blessed is the one who acknowledges God and His wonders, and who confesses that He is not to be questioned about what He does. This is a Word which God has made the adornment and the basis for His articles of belief, and by this Word the deed of the doers is received.”

We can also note that important instructions found in the Most Holy Book are disregarded as well.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.