How can one witness to family?

I’d like to know how I can witness to my family members who
were baptized Cathlic’s but don’t attend Church? I have already
5 members of my beloved family in the Church :slight_smile: But, that leaves
2 of my big brothers:) 1 other sister :slight_smile: My other sister is a born
again Christian. How can I speak to my 2 brothers and 1 sister
about Catholicism? I want to tread gently, and not offend anyone.
I keep praying for their conversions and return to the Church. I
also say novena’s and humbly ask Jesus for their conversion:)
But, is there anything else I could be doing? Also, my dad.
I don’t want to forget about him.

Maybe you could invite them to Mass for some special occasion, like a birthday, then go out for a meal afterward. I know that some of my family is just not ready. One of my aunts finally came around because she watched EWTN, so the idea of Faith and piety became less foreign and actually doable for her. Other than that, keep trying. Are your family members actively resisting, or just apathetic about the Church?

I will pray for you and your family!

My big brother’s aren’t really interested. My older sister isn’t
into it as she is a born again Christian. she will discuss the
Church, and she is very respectful when she talks about it:)
I can discuss Bible principle’s and anything with my big sister,
but my 2 brother’s, no. My one older brother has spoke about
it on the odd occasion, but he isn’t interested. I really love my
family, and Iam conerned about their salvation :slight_smile: I know they wont
attend Mass. For one, I live to far away. But, my mom lives
close to one of my brother’s, and so does my younger sister.
( she is Catholic, and a practicing one ) My big brother, the oldest
of the 2, he lives half way across the country. So, inviting him
to Mass is not possible. I wonder if sending them Catholic
Christmas cards is a good idea? Probably not? My older sister
likely not. How to handle this? I love them dearly, and want to
see them return to the Church. and I wont push it it at all :slight_smile:
I will talk to my other family members and see what they have
to say:)

Maybe just keep praying, and try to become the best possible example of a Catholic Christian that you can, so they see it. This world and life is very difficult for everyone, especially those without strong faith. I believe at some point, they will want to talk to you about your faith when they see how you handle a difficult situation, problem, sickness, etc. because of your strong faith.

Be Jesus’ vehicle for showing them the way. If their hearts can open a little, you can help Jesus proceed to the next step.

Good luck and I’ll pray for your family!

Stay close to the sacraments; the Holy Spirit will offer his graces (to them, through you) in ways you can’t guess.

Peace.
John

Thanks John :slight_smile: The Holy Ghost does offer his graces. good point!
Your prayers are appreciated :slight_smile:

:wave: Marilena,

I definitely think you should send Catholic Christmas cards to all. Share your life with your family. Part of that life is Christ. Sharing is not pushing.

Standing up for your faith does not mean you have to push it.

An example: Family is talking about Immaculate Conception. They don’t believe Mary was born without original sin. You simply say, I disagree. If they ask you to explain, do so. If not, don’t. You have stood for Christ without pushing Him.

But discussions will never naturally start if you are afraid to *share *your faith. Start with the Christmas Cards.

God Bless,
Maria

And BTW, as for your “born-again” sister. They way to show her Christ in the Catholic Church is to start praising God in little things in front of her.

Example: We were short on money this month. But this check arrived in the mail. It was about 4 months overdue but I guess God knew we would need it now and not 4 months ago.

**Give God the glory and honor to your everyday life miracles when talking with your sister. This is the kind of converstation she is used to from those who “have a personal relationship with Christ”. She needs to see that a Catholic Christian can have the same. **

Right now, she is closer to God in her church than she ever was in the Catholic Church. She would be hesitant to leave her church for Catholic when she never was able to recognize or “feel” God in the Catholic Church. Help her to see that God is in the Catholic Church too. Eventually, you can share the Real Presence with her. Maybe through sharing time you spent in adoration in front of the Blessed Sacrament? But not now. Soon.

God Bless,
Maria

I do give glory and honor to God in my everyday life when speaking with her, or even my sister in law :slight_smile: I can really have good conversations with my sister in law about Catholicsm. Her son is seriosuly ill, and I told her about Padre Pio, and the miracles he is known for.She took the information from me, and spoke to her son about him. She even provided me with his email address, and I wrote to him and talked to him about Padre Pio, and he looked at the links provided to him. I gave God all the glory and honor for that, and all things:)

[quote=Marilena]I do give glory and honor to God in my everyday life when speaking with her, or even my sister in law :slight_smile: I can really have good conversations with my sister in law about Catholicsm. Her son is seriosuly ill, and I told her about Padre Pio, and the miracles he is known for.She took the information from me, and spoke to her son about him. She even provided me with his email address, and I wrote to him and talked to him about Padre Pio, and he looked at the links provided to him. I gave God all the glory and honor for that, and all things:)
[/quote]

That’s awesome! Keep up all your conversations with them - maybe that is how God plans to convert them. And definitely send out the Catholic Christmas cards!

Thanks! I’ll take your advice :slight_smile:

[quote=Marilena]I wonder if sending them Catholic
Christmas cards is a good idea? Probably not? My older sister
likely not. How to handle this? I love them dearly, and want to
see them return to the Church. and I wont push it it at all :slight_smile:
I will talk to my other family members and see what they have
to say:)
[/quote]

I think Catholic Christmas cards is a great idea! I would probably go with something simple that maybe just has a Bible verse. Nothing overbearing. Maybe even get them a religious Christmas present. That’s what I have started doing with my non-Catholic friends. Nothing major, just a little angel pin or a little prayer card or something like. Hopefully to help draw them closer.

[quote=awalt]I’m saved (Eph 2:5–8), being saved (1Cor 1:8), and hope I’ll be saved (1Cor 3:12–15). I’m working out my salvation in fear (Phil 2:12), with hopeful confidence in Christ (Rom 5:2).

[/quote]

Side note - awalt I love your signature!!!

[quote=Marilena]I’d like to know how I can witness to my family members who
were baptized Cathlic’s but don’t attend Church? I have already
5 members of my beloved family in the Church :slight_smile: But, that leaves
2 of my big brothers:) 1 other sister :slight_smile: My other sister is a born
again Christian. How can I speak to my 2 brothers and 1 sister
about Catholicism? I want to tread gently, and not offend anyone.
I keep praying for their conversions and return to the Church. I
also say novena’s and humbly ask Jesus for their conversion:)
But, is there anything else I could be doing? Also, my dad.
I don’t want to forget about him.
[/quote]

The best advice that has been given to me regarding this situation (my brother, my sister and my cousin) is to live my Faith, to not be ashamed of speaking about the things I do at the Parish and what I have learned about the Faith and to be ready to answer any questions anyone has about the Faith. The most common one is always “Why?”. Especially from those who have left and become ‘born again’, the questions are often a little bit beligerent, and so I needed to learn a bit of Catholic Apologetics so that I could answer their questions with love and with a big smile on my face. An excellent source, besides Catholic Answers itself, is biblechristiansociety.com. John Martignoni provides free CDs on different Catholic Apologetic topics that are simple to learn and follow.
And continue to pray pray pray. If they are all Baptized Catholics, pray that the graces they received at Baptism be fanned into a flame of love for the Sacred Heart of Jesus.

Don’t get me wrong, Iam not afraid of talking to anyone about
Catholicsm! :slight_smile: I don’t want to be pushy is all. With my family,
Iam only wanting to tread carefully, and be respectful without
souding pushy. My point was to ask for advice without being
pushy about it. I’ve been given good advice here, and thank you
all for posting :slight_smile:

[quote=Marilena]I do give glory and honor to God in my everyday life when speaking with her, or even my sister in law :slight_smile: I can really have good conversations with my sister in law about Catholicsm. Her son is seriosuly ill, and I told her about Padre Pio, and the miracles he is known for.She took the information from me, and spoke to her son about him. She even provided me with his email address, and I wrote to him and talked to him about Padre Pio, and he looked at the links provided to him. I gave God all the glory and honor for that, and all things:)
[/quote]

Awesome! I am so glad you are already doing this. I know many Catholics who just do not seem as comfortable doing this and for the “born-againers” if you don’t, it seems as if you don’t know Christ.

Keep up the good work!

God Bless,
Maria

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.