How can sin offend God?

So you all probably heard the formula “heartedly sorry for having offended thee” but I’m just wondering what is meant by sin offending God. Our sins can’t hurt God since God’s immutable anyways, they can’t affect God so what do we mean when we say they offend God?

He suffered on the Cross for our sins, and still suffers every time someone sins.

How does His being immutable mean our sins cannot hurt Him? It simply means that He does not change, not that He cannot be offended by sins.

I think that to offend God is a metaphor which means that we have disobeyed God, that we have done something unjust in relation to Him. And as God is righteous, He will react to repair this injustice and we will then say that God is taking revenge

Fair enough in the sense that they hurt Jesus on the cross, I also though that is basically what we mean which works. But since God cannot change God can’t still suffer everytime somebody sins.

51 Have mercy upon me, O God,
according to thy lovingkindness:
according unto the multitude of thy tender mercies
blot out my transgressions.

2 Wash me throughly from mine iniquity,
and cleanse me from my sin.

3 For I acknowledge my transgressions: and my sin is ever before me.

4 Against thee, thee only, have I sinned, and done this evil in thy sight:
that thou mightest be justified
when thou speakest,
and be clear when thou judgest.

5 Behold, I was shapen in iniquity; and in sin did my mother conceive me.

6 Behold, thou desirest truth in the inward parts:
and in the hidden part thou shalt make me to know wisdom.

7 Purge me with hyssop, and I shall be clean:
wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow.

8 Make me to hear joy and gladness;
that the bones which thou hast broken may rejoice.

9 Hide thy face from my sins, and blot out all mine iniquities.

10 Create in me a clean heart, O God; and renew a right spirit within me.

11 Cast me not away from thy presence; and take not thy holy spirit from me.

12 Restore unto me the joy of thy salvation;
and uphold me with thy free spirit.

Etc etc

:+1:

10 characters

I think it could be that since God is outside of time, he may suffer on the cross at the same time someone sins, if that makes sense. Like time travel, since He, having created time, is outside of it.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=offend+definition&oq=offe&aqs=chrome.0.69i59j69i57j69i60j0l3.5483j0j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

In the second sense of commiting an illegal act , by sinning we act against the will of God as expressed by God’s commandments .

Fair enough, the whole timeless thing since everything happens at the same “time” for God or something like that.

Fair. But why would we be sorry for having done something “illegal” in a sense unless it has some sort of negative consequences on you and others?

We are in a Father/son Father/daughter relationship with God , and it is natural to be sorry when we have gone against what God wants , and God wants us to be sorry for our sins .

Sin always has a negative consequence on self and/or on others…

“For God so Loved the world He gave His only begotten Son” Jesus came and went through what one could only imagine…He did it for us…God the father does hurt when we sin, What hurts Jesus hurts God…Jesus said…"For I and the Father are One"God bless

Look up the fear of the Lord.

If God cannot be offended, then Christ’s atoning sacrifice was without value.

If God cannot be offended, then He cannot be just (and punish) or merciful (and reward) for eternity. Something triggers both His justice and His mercy.

Doctrine: Sin is the only thing which separates us from God.

Ultimately, all sin is an offense against God.

The Catechism of the Catholic Church makes that part a little easier to see, presenting it in light of original sin, and against the backdrop of the Miserere:

Sin is an offense against God: “Against you, you alone, have I sinned, and done that which is evil in your sight.” Sin sets itself against God’s love for us and turns our hearts away from it. Like the first sin, it is disobedience, a revolt against God through the will to become “like gods,” knowing and determining good and evil. Sin is thus “love of oneself even to contempt of God.” In this proud self- exaltation, sin is diametrically opposed to the obedience of Jesus, which achieves our salvation.

There is also a CAF thread from a little more than 10 years ago entitled Do Our Sins Offend God. . . A couple of interesting answers,and it doesn’t take long to read (only 13 posts). Unfortunately the link to a piece by Fr William Most on this subject does not seem to function anymore.

We hurt jesus whyen we sin as in Jeremiah 13:17 But if you will not listen, my(Jesus) soul will weep in secret for your pride;my eyes will weep bitterly and run down with tears, because the Lord’s flock has been taken captive.

Romans 3:25 whom God put forward as a sacrifice of atonement by his blood, effective through faith. He did this to show his righteousness, because in his divine forbearance he had passed over the sins previously committed;

2 Corinthians 5:10 For all of us must appear before the judgment seat of Christ, so that each may receive recompense for what has been done in the body, whether good or evil.

1 John 2:2 and he is the atoning sacrifice for our sins, and not for ours only but also for the sins of the whole world.

Offense does not have to be equated with the offendee’s emotional reaction. One can call your President a jackass, and he could hear of it, and he may not even care what the speaker thinks. People often brush off such things especially if the speaker is of no consequence to them.

However, it IS still an offense against the President, regardless of how he feels about it.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.