How can there be only genial sins?

I was reading about the sin of presumption and it got me thinking, wouldn’t every time I commit a genial sin, aren’t I presuming forgiveness? How could one commit a genial sin without committing the mortal sin of presumption?

Thanks

Edit: sorry genial should say v enial, autocorrect doesn’t like me.

Whenever I have committed a venial sin, I confidently ask for forgiveness but do not presume forgiveness. If I am truly sorry and repent, I hope for forgiveness. When I enter the Sacrament of Reconciliation, I know that the words of absolution are not guaranteed. I will only receive absolution and God’s forgiveness, if I have genuinely repented and undertake whatever penance is given. There is no presumption, only hope. That is how it is for me.

PS. Thank you for bringing a smile to my face.

Although a genial sin would be kind of interesting!
:smiley:
Seriously, though, I think anticipating is different from presuming. I don’t think it would be sinful.

Yea - autocorrect doesn’t work when our error is an actual word…I’ve had that happen a lot…:rolleyes:

Short answer is NO. Because we can assume that one is not presuming on forgiveness every time one commits a venial sin.

That said, I would suggest that IF you are committing a venial sin intentionally and without any remorse or repentance…and convincing yourself that “it’s only a venial sin”…then yes you are committing the sin of presumption.

I’m sure others will give you better answers, but that is my 2-cents…

Peace
James

I guess, sometimes I’ve sinned thinking, “ah its just a genial sin” is that the mortal sin of presumption?

Edit: I missed the post above this, how could one venialy sin without saying, its just venual? It seems that’s what goes through my mind every time a commit a venial sin.

Presuming God’s forgiveness with regard to a venial sin would definitely be a sin, but considered in itself I don’t think it would be mortal. I am open to correction on this point. In any case, I don’t think all venial sins are committed with the idea that “God will overlook it.” Sometimes we know something deserves punishment, and we do it anyway. Sometimes we sin out of weakness or habit or for a variety of other reasons. It isn’t always with presumption.

Usually when we talk about the “sin of presumption,” we are referring to a vice which is opposed to the virtue of hope. Since hope is a disposition toward God concerning our eternal salvation, presumption would likewise be an attitude regarding eternal salvation, namely, that we can get into heaven without God’s help and no matter how we live, or at least that God will overlook mortal sins we have committed without any contrition or intention of repenting.

From the Catechism…
1862 One commits venial sin when, in a less serious matter, he does not observe the standard prescribed by the moral law, or when he disobeys the moral law in a grave matter, but without full knowledge or without complete consent
Note - “without full knowledge or without complete consent”…anytime a person acts precipitously - without due consideration, they can be said to be acting (or more properly, reacting) without full knowledge and certainly without complete consent. So - if one commits a sin “without thinking”, they have obviously not thought “this is just venial”.

It’s like when someone suddenly throws a ball at you and you react to catch it. You don’t think about catching - you just react. If our reaction to a given situation is objectively sinful…the object remains sinful, but our culpability is diminished.

Peace
James

**You have some excellent answers here. **
but honestly, thank you so much for the giggle.
It’s a rainy day, I’m a little bummed out, and delighted to hear of “genial” sins.
Maybe those that are to much fun, eh?

God bless you and welcome to CAF. :wink:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.