How can we be sure that Jesus didn't die on another planet to save aliens too?

Did Jesus only die on Earth? Why would humans matter more to God than aliens?

We have no mention of Jesus being incarnated, living and dying anywhere else. Indeed, we have no evidence there even are aliens of the kind you mean–sentient beings capable of understanding right from wrong, who presumably also sinned and so either received their final judgment immediately, like the angels, or who, like us, were to be redeemed through the ultimate sacrifice–the life of the Second Person of the Trinity incarnated as a fellow sentient being.

Having said all that, no. Jesus did not die/will not be dying on another planet. The Second Person of the Trinity was incarnated only once. If there are other sentient beings we don’t know that they would need redemption, as we have received it. They would have been tested, as the angels and humans were tested, but we can’t know what test they would have had, nor the results.

Humans matter solely because God decided we do. As the Creator of all things, it was entirely up to him what we would be and how important we would be to him. Apparently, we are very important to him for him to become one of us and go so far as to die for our redemption.

Anything more than this, as I see it, is pure speculation on our parts, but I’m sure others will disagree with me there. :wink:

Good post Della. I always roll my eyes and laugh at a Star Trek episode Bread and Circuses when this is implied. Makes me imagine Jesus going from planet to planet and becoming the alien of the week! :smiley:

Yes, it seems to me it’s just another way of saying that Jesus didn’t really matter. Much like the Klingon Kahless, about whom the pseudo Kahless remarked, “Maybe it doesn’t matter if he existed or not, only the man’s words matter” or words to that effect. It just won’t wash, though. It would mean God incarnated himself almost infinitely on nearly infinite planets, which would be just plain silly.

I think it has a lot more to do with Anthropocentrism. :smiley:

We do not know if there are any other like creatures out there in the visible universe.

Maybe the other ones never ate the apple.

My thoughts on this are pretty simple. The Bible, God’s revelation here on earth, and Christ’s suffering, death, and resurrection, were all directed to us for us. There is nothing in God’s word to suggest He acted elsewhere in the universe except to say that he created it all. We could not specifically rule out that God has children elsewhere in this universe because all of His word/revelations that we have received are directed specifically at humans to our benefit. I personally don’t feel that it is anti-Christian to suppose that God has acted elsewhere for alien beings as he is Lord of ALL creation, but until science/divine revelation shows us otherwise it is idle, albeit entertaining, speculation.

We have no way of knowing if there is intelligent alien life, or even any alien life at all. If there are intelligent aliens, we do not know what their spiritual state is, if they have souls, if they are good or evil.

I don’t think we can definitively state that He didn’t. We just have no evidence to suggest that He did.

If there is intelligent alien life out there with souls, then presumably God has interacted with them in some form or fashion as He sees fit. We just have no idea. :shrug:

:thumbsup:

CS Lewis addressed this concept in his Space trilogy.

Hi!

…here’s a hint:

[FONT=“Garamond”][size=]26 God said, ‘Let us make man in our own image, in the likeness of ourselves,

(Genesis 1:26a)
…for your proposition to be true (God making “aliens” as well as man) it would mean that we are a reflection of all the “aliens” that God Created since we are God’s Image and Likeness… so if God Created 1 or billions of other species man must be a composite of them…

…hey, wait, didn’t the genome mapping proved that man shares his dna with millions of species… and isn’t the human body a composite of a whole mess of things including liquid, minerals, microbes… and even electricity?

…eureka, we’ve just discover the creation of alien life!

Maran atha!

Angel

[/size][/FONT]

Hi!

…I’m kind of slow… just read your description of “Religion;” I must agree that you are, on your description, 100% correct!

Welcome Home! :extrahappy::extrahappy::extrahappy:

Maran atha!

Angel

Hi!

Welcomed to the Forum!

…what I find interesting is how people yearn and anguish over things that are unknown (past, future, alien life, the Universe’s reason/functions…) while ignoring that which is right “in your face” sorta speak!:

[FONT=“Garamond”][size=]18 I think that what we suffer in this life can never be compared to the glory, as yet unrevealed, which is waiting for us. 19 The whole creation is eagerly waiting for God to reveal his sons

. 20 It was not for any fault on the part of creation that it was made unable to attain its purpose, it was made so by God; but creation still retains the hope 21 of being freed, like us, from its slavery to decadence, to enjoy the same freedom and glory as the children of God. 22 From the beginning till now the entire creation, as we know, has been groaning in one great act of giving birth; 23 and not only creation, but all of us who possess the first-fruits of the Spirit, we too groan inwardly as we wait for our bodies to be set free. 24 **For we must be content to hope that we shall be saved **– our salvation is not in sight, we should not have to be hoping for it if it were – 25 but, as I say, we must hope to be saved since we are not saved yet – it is something we must wait for with patience. 26 The Spirit too comes to help us in our weakness. For when we cannot choose words in order to pray properly, the Spirit himself expresses our plea in a way that could never be put into words, 27 and God who knows everything in our hearts knows perfectly well what he means, **and that the pleas of the saints expressed by the Spirit are according to the mind of God. God has called us to share his glory ** (Romans 8:18-27)
So it is God’s Revelation that man (humanity) is in deed the center of His Universe!

Conversely, this passage also speaks against the “always saved” theologies!

Maran atha!

Angel

[/size][/FONT]

Maybe humans are the only morons in desperate need of saving.

We do not yet know exactly what an ‘alien’ is, until then, its all speculation.

This subject is a hobby of mine and everything I have read on them, I believe they are not 100% physical beings in the way that we are, I do not think its something we could even understand.

God did create them though, and I think we can be sure he has some plan for them, just like us, but it may be nothing like our situation.

As it should since God became man. :wink:

Scripture doe not say an apple was eaten!

Indeed. Apples are Euro-Asian in origin, not Middle Eastern. It would more likely have been a pomegranate or perhaps a fig, which are native to the ME. Of course, we cannot know for certain since the text doesn’t say. :slight_smile:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.