How Can We Know Christianity Is True?

A doubt I cannot shake is: how can we know Christianity is true? There have been countless religions and deities throughout history, so how can we know that Christianity is the true one? I know I posted something similar to this a few days back, but I cannot shake this doubt in myself and it is upsetting me and making me fearful and doubt.

Do any other world religions have examples of miracles that Christianity has, such as stigmata, Fatima, Lourdes and such?

Ok look. I understand this. I really have had these thoughts too. Especially when I was trying to find excuses to do what I wanted. I mean I’m not saying this is what you’re doing. Not at all.

So how do we know Christianity is true and not some other religion from the past or even what is going on in a building with a different shaped roof down the street? Well it’s like this. It’s in the results. It’s in where the heart is. It’s true because it rings true to the heart.

Ok, so maybe that wasn’t the most convincing argument. But it has a kind of truth. But I’ll give you another one. What would the world be like without Christianity? Would it be better or worse?

Alright. One more. Think about all past religions as being right, but for the wrong reasons. Think about the need that people have had to worship God for ages. So finally God agrees to show us how it should be done. Since that time the world has been getting to be a better place. In bits and pieces. Before that it did not change very much. But after that it did. So that could be your proofs. I don’t know. I hope that helps a little bit.

Peace.

-Trident

I don’t think you can know for certain that Catholicism is true, but that is where Faith comes in.

I think that if you are looking for definitive proof that Catholicism is the true way to heaven, or even definitive proof that God exists at all, you will not find it. Personally, I am more convinced logically by atheistic arguments than by arguments of theists for the existence of God, but I am blessed to have the gift of Faith, because I have experienced God in a way that is consistent with what I have been told about him, and that personal experience is hard to argue with.

I had contributed on the other thread regarding the multitudes of religions, but I’ll try a different approach here. Christianity is true because the Catholic Church holds the truth. I’ve presented the arguments for the faith (accounts of Jesus, conversion of Paul, martyrs, etc), so now I’ll try approaches from the negative. Again, this approach (like my ‘numbers’ approach) isn’t typically capable of converting someone, but hopefully it can dispel doubts.

So the typical argument against Christianity is that it was done to gain power. I’ve already discussed the gains made by the early Christians (the crown of martyrdom at the hands of pagans), which isn’t something people willingly jump into. Then you can look at the early missionaries who moved to convert the pagan tribes of Europe and beyond. Most of those people also didn’t fare well (illness while traveling, beatings, murder, etc). The ones who did didn’t reap the riches from these people (who had few if any riches), but rather rejoiced in the conversion of souls. Not something you normally care about when you are after power and wealth.

So now we are in the dark ages and monarchies begin to submit themselves to the Church, most notably with Charlemagne being crowned Emperor by Pope Leo III. This gave a level of protection to the Church, but it also made it the victim of heresies and attacks. Muslims began raiding kingdoms and trying to establish themselves in the Middle East (Jerusalem) and Europe (i.e. Spain). These were not peaceful migrations, but violent conquests. To maintain peace, the monarchs used force to drive out the Muslims and try to regain control of their lands. There were certainly injustices committed on the side of Catholicism, but one must determine whether this was the Church herself or simply monarchs who happen to be Catholic (even acting in what they believe they should do for the Catholic faith).

Let’s jump to the Reformation. A strong tide against the Church splits off a significant piece, which then rebels against the Catholic Church and the Papacy. Catholics are imprisoned, martyred, and otherwise persecuted, particularly in public life.

Fast forward big-time now and look at the Church today. Scandalized, she has become the favorite punching bag of the media regarding sexual abuse. There is no excuse for what was done, but remember that what the Church did was the same that schools, youth sports, youth organizations, and other groups did as well. However, those stories aren’t as interesting as abuse in the Church. Now, Catholics are attacked as outdated, hateful bigots for our commitment to the sacred nature of marriage, the belief that life begins at conception, and other claims to the Truth. Would it not be easier to bend the knee to the Zeitgeist? Would people not rejoice if the faith of their childhood changed to meet the beliefs they hold today? How many people would flood back to the Church if she gave up her teachings on homosexuality, birth control, etc? But that isn’t the way, the truth, the life.

One final thought - the Church has never targeted the rich, the powerful, the ones in control. This faith was built by fishermen, hermits, peasants. It thrived in the shadows, behind closed doors, in the catacombs. She grew into something mighty, which is great for the conversion of souls but also difficult because her entire body on Earth is comprised of sinners, but that was not her origins, nor was it her intent. Salvation of everyone, regardless of status, is the Church’s sole mission.

We can start with the fact that only Christianity has >5000 fulfilled prophecies.

No other religion has that.

-Tim-

Because those who ACTUALLY practice Christianity to the letter are changed people.
They are extraordinary, and do things that “normal mortals” cannot do.
No. None of the other religions have miracles of any kind. (though Satanists, witches and their ilk do have associations with demons who can cause false miracles to occur)…
Some Buddhists and Hindus learn “mind over matter” to the extant that they can do marvelous things with their own bodies. But none have ever flown like many of the saints have, or bilocated, or healed others, or raised the dead, etc.

You must have Faith in Jesus, who performed many miracles and finally suffered & died for humanity. No other religion can claim this!

we do not KNOW Christianity is true. we BELIEVE it is true.

this might appear to be an unnecessary distinction but the number of things human beings know are self-evident in the manner of this, we know we will fall if we jump off a ladder from high above the ground… we know that the sun rises in the east and sets in the west.

but we do not know scientific theories in this sense. scientific theories are confirmed by getting the same results using the same tests; and then, we use language to describe the phenomena we experience in nature. we test the language and we become more confident that it is accurately describing a real event. however, we do not know, in the same sense that we know we will fall if we step off a ladder high above the ground.

even more so is our knowledge of the spiritual realm limited. in effect, what we know of the spiritual realm is what we were taught about it by Jesus and the prophets (God’s Divine revelation).

however, what we were taught by Jesus can be tested by logic and right reason and historical facts and profound writings.

logically, there can only be one true understanding of reality. that true understanding could only come from one that knows everything about reality. all other understandings would be deficient in some way, great or small.

learn what you can about each understanding and it will become clearer as you learn what your choices are when it comes to what can be known and understodd.

The difficulty is not with Christianity, the difficulty is with the human mind.

We are not really well suited for discerning truth. Our minds process things for lots of reasons like survival, love, emotion, power, but discerning truth is hard for us.

Some of the greatest thinkers struggle with the whole concept: amazon.com/Truth-Other-Enigmas-Michael-Dummett/dp/0674910761

The truth that Christ presents us is transcendent to us.

I propose that you consider what it would look and feel like to encounter a transcendent being. The fact that Jesus is such an enigma, his words seem to be infinitely deep with meaning and the revelations that he has given us seem to go forever and unfold slowly give it credibility as being from a transcendent being. Other religions to me seem to be based on things that can easily be explained as having human origins.

Please give Christianity the benefit of the doubt as being transcendent. Spend time contemplating the Eucharist, and eventually the truth of it will unfold to you.

Note that I am not saying that other religions are not transcendent as well. I simply don’t know.

When my ex and me were studying the Bible because we came from different Christianity background, once we finished reading we asked the following questions.

#1 Do you believe in God?
#2 Do you believe in the Old Testament God?
If you say yes to both questions go onto question #3
#3 Do you believe Jesus is the Son of god and part of the Trinity.
If you say yes to all 3 questions then Christianity is the only answer

If you want “scientific” absolute empirical proof, your in trouble. Part of the problem with a religion is that it deals with claims outside the scope of the scientific method. Now, that doesn’t mean that religious scrutiny falls outside of philophical and historical proofs.

For example, look at the Resurrection. If we find a tomb with Jesus in it, no mistake, in the ground, moldy, Christianity fails it’s great “Historical” proof.

Philophical proofs would be metaphysical attributes of God, how well the faith stands without contradictions in its doctrine etc. Peter Kreeft has some excellent essays on things like this.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.