How can we purify our heart? answer to: What is real love? thread

Here there are three guidelines to purify our hearts.

**First: **in your prayer ask God to help you to have a pure heart.

Second: He will grant you a conscience to tell you when you are sinning in your heart.
Take notice of it; change what you have done wrong, ask God to forgive you and do not do it again. And if you fall again, again ask God to forgive you, but always with the intention of correcting yourself, until you manage, with His grace, to stop sinning in your heart.

Third: Do not have scrupulous with minute things, go for the bad ones, and then the rest.
(cf.1 John 3:17-24)
Do not bother if you are sinning because you drank too much coffee and you should restrain your desires which are not a needed to keep your health. You will do this afterwards. Make sure that you do not desire the girlfriend of you friend, the wife of your neighbor, a colleague at your job. Make sure these big things to go first from your heart. (cf. Mt 5:27-28),

**Do not get angry without reason **(Mt 5:22 NKJV; Saint Agustin - The teaching of the Lord at the Mountain - First Book 9.21) -the only reason being when we are faced with immorality (cf. Hb 12:4) – We must not tolerate the ones who teach immorality (cf Ap 20:2)

And never hate anyone: **NEVER **"Any one who hates his brother is a murderer" 1 Jn 3:15

If any one says, “I love God", and hates his brother, he is a liar" 1Jn 4:20) and always forgive when you are asked for. (cf. Lk 17:4) If you are more perfect, even you will forgive without been asked for it.

When you are attack for being moral or for a false accusation, do not respond with bad words or actions. Just make your point straight without anger. (cf. Lk 6:22; cf. 1 Pet 2:19; 3:14)

Do not lie, this is very important and you have to understand it very well:
there is not one lie that can come from God.

NEVER SAY ANY LIE OF WHAT SO EVER TYPE, they make us unclean.

"…know that no lie is of the truth."1 Jn 2:21

When the devil “lies, he speaks according to his own nature, for he is a liar and the father of lies”. Jn 8:44 And the fate of the liars at the end times, is in the lake of fire. Rev 21:8

Carry on in the same way, listening to your conscience to purify your heart, your thoughts.

May God give us the love to keep His commandments, to start with the purification of our heart and be able to trust and believe all what Jesus taught us.

If we do not hate evil, our love will never be genuine. (cf. Rom 12:9)

"If you know that he is righteous, you may be sure that every one who does right is born of him." 1 Jn 2:29
and
"…
let no one deceive you
. He who does right is righteous, as he is righteous. 8 He who commits sin is of the devil; for the devil has sinned from the beginning." 1 Jn 3:7-8

In the love of Christ,
Gloria

There are three qualities that we must have to be able to love:

A pure heart
A good conscience
And a sincere faith

(cf. 1 Tim 1:5)

If we do not have a pure heart, neither can we have the other two and our love is not genuine love: is just an expression of the language or an impulse of the passions or a word without meaning.

If we have a pure heart, we do not think evil things, nor desire sexually anyone, nor wish to have the things of others, nor envy the prosperity of others, neither burst in anger for nothing, etc.
**Because **"… what comes out of the mouth proceeds from the heart, and this defiles a man. For out of the heart come evil thoughts, murder, adultery, fornication, theft, false witness, slander" Mt 15:18-19

**If we have this kind of thoughts in our heart **we still unable to go beyond the laws given by Moses: the Ten Commandments. “For I tell you, unless your righteousness exceeds that of the Scribes and Pharisees, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven.” Mt 5:20

We still nominal Christians.

Keeping the commandments of God is the only way we can express our love for God. “For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments.” 1 Jn 5:3 " He who says ‘I know him’ but disobeys his commandments is a liar, and the truth is not in him"
“But whoever keeps his word, in him truly love for God is perfected,” 1 John 2: 2-5.

This is the only way to become a practicing Christian: “… let no one deceive you. He who does right is righteous, as he is righteous.” 1 Jn 3:7

The Jews also keep God’s commandments and are not Christians, and when they have their temple: “gifts and sacrifices are offered which cannot perfect the conscience of the worshiper” (Hb 9:9; cf. 1Jn 2:23)

If we have an impure heart, we can not have a good conscience, if we still have any left.

**This is the root of our Christian faith: **

the purification of our heart, thoughts; the perfection of our conscience. (cf. Hb 9:9)

The purification of our hearts only can come through a sincere repentance from our sins. “Blessed are the pure in heart, for they shall see God." Mt 5:8

If you do not purify your heart you will carry on being a nominal Christian or even a pagan.

How do we purify our hearts? This is another thread:

forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?p=11490603#post11490603

In the love of Christ and of His Teachings,
Gloria

To be purified in heart requires our cooperation with God’s grace, the love of God above everything else, fidelity to His holy Will and obedience to His commands, living faithfully according to our state in life, and the bearing of all our trials and sufferings patiently, lovingly, faithfully and courageously. We should live very mortified lives and deny ourselves even lawful pleasures at times, even often. We should not feed into our appetites like we are brutes, but should sacrifice pleasures of the senses at times, even often, for the love of God. We must take up our cross daily, deny ourselves and follow Jesus up to Calvary. God bless you.

EDIT:

And yes, as you say in your other thread, Gloria, we must pray and practice the other things you have mentioned.

Yes, we must do all the things you have mentioned. God bless you.

Dear Ready, I can see now why you put to yourself this name ‘Ready’. You are waiting for our Lord doing all the things that we all should do as you mention above. In this society we get so blown away by the current that sometimes one forget to mortify oneself to not to loose our ends. May God Bless you, please pray for me…

In the love of the only way to see God: to do His will
Gloria

I shall be praying for you, Gloria. I gave myself the username “ready” because I am really trying hard to be ready for our Lord when He comes. I pray that I can grow more mortified. God bless you!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.