How can you get to "know" Jesus and Mary and God?

I pray to Jesus and with Mary but feel like if I were to meet them on the street, or, okay, a better example, if I were to die and then see them face-to-face, they would feel like strangers to me, like I don’t really know them. Any help on to have a true, personal relationship with Jesus and Mary (and God?) to feel like I actually know them, they are my “friends” and mother??

Prayer, prayer and more prayer.

As Pentecost approaches, ask the Holy Spirit to help you know and love Jesus and Mary more fervently. The Novena to the Holy Spirit is traditionally prayed between Ascension Thursday and Pentecost.

The novena in honor of the Holy Spirit is the oldest of all novenas since it was first made at the direction of Our Lord Himself when He sent His apostles back to Jerusalem to await the coming of the Holy Spirit on the first Pentecost. It is still the only novena officially prescribed by the Church. Addressed to the Third Person of the Blessed Trinity, it is a powerful plea for the light and strength and love so sorely needed by every Christian.

ewtn.com/devotionals/pentecost/seven.htm

While you are praying to develop a real relationship with Jesus and Virgin Mary, keep your mind open - you can find Jesus among those around you. For Virgin Mary, my first thought was those who are humble and obedient to God.

God bless.

Say you’ve died and are approaching the gates of heaven (way to go - you’re through purgatory! :wink: ). Mary and Jesus come running from the gates to great you, to hug you, to introduce you to The Father, The Holy Spirit, Moses and St. Jude. They give you robes and talk with you about what happened in your life. They show you the times you prayed, and then show you how they were helping even though you couldn’t see them.

As you go through your day, stop every now and then and think “Jesus is right next to me. Mary is right next to me.” Put them into your life.

Think about it like a friendship online. You can talk to the person and recieve responses, but you don’t know what they look like. They could be your best friend. The fact that you wouldn’t know them on the street doesn’t make your friendship any less real, meaningful, or important.

the fastest route discovered by the saints is to see Jesus in the poor.

I recommend you to read Brother Lawrence’s book, a classic:
The Practice Of The Presence of God :thumbsup:

One thing I always need to remind myself to do is to allow Our Lord time to speak when I pray (I’m a bit of a chatterbox, and tend to go on and on and on…). It’s kind of hard to get to know someone if you don’t ever let them have a word in edgewise.

I’ve found that some of the most revealing things I’ve learned about Our Lord came when I shut up and listened. :stuck_out_tongue:

Sign up (for free) at www.thereasonforourhope.org and listen to “The Truth” a talk given by Fr. Larry Richards. Then go to the section where you can buy his tapes/cds/vhs/mp3s and spend $2 to get the mp3 for Knowing God’s Will.

Very powerful!

That is one of the things that Fr. Larry says is that God is telling us “can ya just shut up, I am trying to talk here.” :thumbsup:

I’ve heard it put this way: What useful servant says, “Your servant is here, Lord, listen to her”? instead of “Speak, Lord, your servant listens”.

But I like your quote better- more to the point. :smiley:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.