How can you say that Catholics and Muslims worship the same God?

I’m a Baptist that after much study has been leaning toward what I feel is the correctness of the Catholic church in doctrine and practice. I have very recently ran into a road block. Please read the following except–

“According to the Catechism, ‘together with us (Catholics) they (Muslims) adore the one, merciful God.’ Pope John Paul II repeats this statement even more clearly. Addressing Muslim youths, the Pope said: ‘We believe in the same God, the one and only God, the living God, the God who creates worlds and brings creatures to their perfection’ (What Dialogue Means for Catholics and Muslims, US Conference of Catholic Bishops, http://www.usccb.org/seia/brunett.htm).”

I’ve spent time in Iraq, Afghanistan, Egypt, and other Muslim countries and I can tell you they don’t worship the same god. They even believe the Trinity is made up of God, a human Jesus, and Mary his mother. God is trinity and Muslims deny this so how can they worship the same god? Thanks.

Hi,

Granted, Muslims do not believe in the Trinity as we do. Nor do Mormons. Nor do Jews. Yet we all believe in a Supreme Being who created and governs the universe. When St. Paul learned that the Greeks worshipped an unknown god (Acts 17:23), he identified that god as our God. Muslims worship the one God to the degree that they know Him—which in our view, is a very limited knowledge.

Fr. Vincent Serpa, O.P.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.