How Christians in Syria keep the faith amid a civil war [CNA]

http://www.catholicnewsagency.com/images/size340/Remains_of_St_Marys_Syrian_Orthodox_church_in_Homs_Syria_Credit_Aid_to_the_Church_in_Need_CNA_2_19_15.jpgNew York City, N.Y., May 5, 2016 / 03:20 pm (CNA/EWTN News).- (Editor’s note: This article includes explicit descriptions of violence. Reader discretion is advised.)

In a Christian neighborhood inside war-torn Syria, a young boy was waiting to be discharged from a hospital after undergoing surgery. Suddenly the building shook from a bombing.

His mother, who was with him, ran out of the hospital to look for help. After she left, a bomb directly hit the building and her son was killed.

“She told me ‘My son was already prepared to be in heaven’,” Sister Maria de Guadalupe, a missionary in Syria with the Institute of the Incarnate Word, said of the mother. According to the mother, her son had recently reminded her of Christ’s Gospel admonition not to fear those who can kill the body, but rather those who can take the soul.

“This is what persecuted Christians live daily,” Sr. Maria said. “They say 'Don’t worry - kill me. They can’t take away the heaven from me. You can take my head, you can burn my churches…when I die, I won’t die.”

Sr. Maria testified at the #WeAreN2016 international congress on religious freedom in New York City. The April 28-30 meeting detailed the plight of persecuted Christians in Syria, Iraq, and Nigeria, and asked the United Nations to take action to prevent further atrocities in those regions.

On Friday, the advocacy group CitizenGO delivered 400,000 signatures to the United Nations headquarters, petitioning the UN Security Council to declare that the Islamic State is committing genocide in Iraq and Syria against Christians and other religious minorities, and for the matter to be referred to the International Criminal Court for investigation and possible prosecution.

Sister Maria and Fr. Rodrigo Miranda, missionaries in the Institute of the Incarnate Word, both testified at the congress. They have lived in Aleppo during the Syrian civil war, and told the gathering of unspeakable atrocities committed against Christians there.

For Christians in Syria, life has been one long “Way of the Cross” since the civil war began five years ago.

Full article…

We must remember these persecuted brothers and sisters of ours in our prayers EVERYDAY. And do the most we can to help them. They are the modern-day martyrs.

The ISIL and Al Nursa front are enslaving people from various religions including Christians.

The Syrian areas under Assad include equality for Jews, Muslims, Christians and all religions,

youtube.com/watch?v=b-85C9c75wY

CNN’s Frederik Pleitgen reports on a mostly Christian town in Syria that is standing firmly behind President Assad.

youtube.com/watch?v=FQIrSR6tKJg

Syrian President Bashar al-Assad should be lauded for his efforts to protect Christians from the radical militants of the Islamic State, according to Virginia State Sen. Richard Black. In May, the Republican wrote a letter to the Syrian leader, openly thanking his army and air force for providing protection from jihadists. As the IS threat grows, the senator believes showing support for the Assad is becoming even more important. RT’s Ameera David spoke to Black to get his anti-“groupthink” take on the crisis.

youtube.com/watch?v=_ZofTUssIcw

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.