How come Acts is so historical?

It has often been said that the style of Luke’s Acts of the Apostles is historical and that it does an extremely good job in mentioning correct countries, provinces, governors etc and is a very good description of 1st centrury geography, travel and city life in the different parts of the Roman empire that Saint Paul visited.

Could the reason that Acts is so historical be that the information was originally gathered in order to defend Paul who was on trial in Rome for his actions ?

newadvent.org/cathen/09420a.htm

I’m not denying the possibility, but I think that Acts reads like a historical narrative because that’s what St. Luke intended to write.

Note Saint Luke’s opening to his Gospel, which is the first volume of a two volume work.

1 Inasmuch as many have undertaken to compile a narrative of the things which have been accomplished among us, 2* just as they were delivered to us by those who from the beginning were eyewitnesses and ministers of the word, 3* it seemed good to me also, having followed all things closely * for some time past, to write an orderly account for you, most excellent Theophilus, 4* that you may know the truth concerning the things of which you have been informed.

Luke 1;1-4
There is some discussion as to whether Theophilus is a particular person, or just “God Lovers” in general. But in either case, he is giving them as much detail as possible so that they can properly understand the message.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.