How come God can only cure physical ailments, not mental?

As someone who’s suffered from depression my whole life (literally can only think of one period in which I was happy, it was eight months and that’s it) I’ve never been able to understand this.

We’ve all read about miraculous healings of cancer, etc. but never depression, schizophrenia or bipolar. Personally I’d rather have a terrible physical ailment rather than a mental one. At the very least, why can’t I trade? Why doesn’t God cure the mentally ill at Lourdes and why didn’t Jesus cure the mentally ill while he walked the earth?

Hi!

…I’ve never given that a thought… but are you sure that God has not cured anyone from mental disorder/health?

…it seems interesting to me that as I read your post two people came to mind… these cases were made into movies… though I’m so bad with names I cannot remember the titles… one was with Dustin Huffman (he played an idiot savant) and the other was a young actress, Clare Danes, who portrayed Temple Grandin who in spite of autism became a professor who championed humane treatment of animals… through their mental disabilities beauty and science came onto the world…

…how many people may have experience such Gift?

Maran atha!

Angel

Your mental health issues are your cross to bear. We each have crosses - some much worse.

This is true. However, God can (and probably has) cured mental illness. He can do anything He wants, He’s God!

TBH, it’s things like this that make me seriously question the concept of God’s fundamental goodness.

I’m almost certain God has. Whether or not it’s mentioned in Scripture could be due to the fact that the authors automatically assumed that any mental issues were caused by demons. I don’t think they would have considered natural causes at that time.

Put it this way: if you saw what other people have to deal with and the burden it is on them and their families, then you may very well be more than happy to deal with your own problems.

Did you ever think about thanking God that you only have to deal with depression and that you aren’t in some mental facility unable to gather a rational thought? Or that you haven’t had to bury a child who was the victim of a horrible crime? Those people are out there and they suffer just as much and probably more than others. It can aways be worse. You should thank God that you are doing as well as you are.

Amen. Well stated.

St Therese of Lisieux wrote about her “Christmas conversion” in her autobiography – how she suddenly overcame her natural over-sensitivity and found a previously unknown strength.

It may sound natural. But if you take into account her descriptions of events in her earlier life, you can see she was a child with some serious mental health issues. Ida Gore wrote a wonderful biography of St Therese called “The Hidden Face” – hands down, my favorite! I highly recommend it. :thumbsup:

Therese is often portrayed all sugary sweet, a young “white martyr” with no clue of real suffering or life in the real world. But there is so much depth and hope for those with mental issues in her life. Reading her autobiography “The Story of a Soul” as a middle-aged mom has given me a totally new perspective on her life.

You might also look into the life of her sister Leonie, whose cause for canonization was just opened. Leonie had some mental health issues and was always the black sheep of the family. She and Therese became very close in the years before Therese died, and Therese even had her profession crucifix sent to Leonie after she died.

God bless you!

Why would it make you seriously question the concept of God’s fundamental goodness? One of the greatest U.S. presidents (Lincoln), one of the most respected musical legends (Brian Wilson of The Beach Boys), and so on…that’s who you’re in the company of. Not to mention St. Dymphna.

I’m really not a fan of the “just be glad you don’t have it as bad as those other people who have it worse than you do” school of gratitude and motivation – how do you think it makes those other people feel knowing they’re the reference point for being worse off?

I will say that you are not alone. I can definitely assure you that you are not alone with how you feel.

1 Peter 4:12

New International Version
“Dear friends, do not be surprised at the fiery ordeal that has come on you to test you, as though something strange were happening to you.”

New Living Translation
“Dear friends, don’t be surprised at the fiery trials you are going through, as if something strange were happening to you.”

English Standard Version
“Beloved, do not be surprised at the fiery trial when it comes upon you to test you, as though something strange were happening to you.”

God gives each one of us a Cross of some kind. I have suffered from mental health issues for most of my life.

God bless,
Ed

Hello New Sage,

I don’t think that any of us really knows why God cures some things and not others.

I do know what it’s like to experience both depression and anxiety.

It’s like you “can’t get out of your head,” but you can try and ease physical discomfort in some ways.

I have to deal with multiple health issues, so what I try and do is “offer them up” for Redemptive Suffering, since we’re all members of the Body of Christ.

I do it out of fraternal love for others.

I’m going to be blunt. Saying I should be thankful to God for “just” saddling me with depression is like saying that North Korea is a wonderful country because there’s so many people that DON’T get executed.

I’m sorry you have such a cross to bear. Only those who have experienced emotional issues know the depths of darkness which can accompany the illness.

If you go to a local AA, NA, ACA meeting you will see people he has cured of a mental obsession, depression, anxiety, OCD, etc, etc. Many were hopelessly lost and have found new life and periods of happiness.

I have prayed for you and your struggle.

How do you know?

Have you not ever read Luke 8:26-39?

I’d say that was a goof example.

For some people, that way of thinking does indeed work. It can for me sometimes.

But I would never tell someone else to take on this mindset when in the midst of their suffering. A nurse tried that with me when I mangled my left hand in an accident and didn’t know whether I’d ever be able to play the piano or guitar again. It took more self-restraint than I knew I had to keep from ripping her head off verbally, and “accidentally” knocking her upside the head with my cast!

Be strong, dear one. Your suffering is real, and may or may not be taken away in this life.

But God has healed and does heal people from every type of ailment. Why He does or doesn’t heal this person or that person is far above the pay grade of this CAF community. It is an excellent question, however, and one you should pursue with your pastor, your guardian angel in prayer, your trusted friends.

God bless you!

What I am saying is that you should be thankful that you have something that you can bear. God didn’t give you depression and your attitude isn’t one that suggests you put your hope and faith in Him. Even the title of your thread recalls the scripture text of "he cured others; why can’t he cure himself?" Perhaps you should examine the book of Job. All of the answers are there.

I agree with you.

I believe God can heal mental illness, emotional illness, physical illnesses but most importantly Spiritual sickness.

I have relatives who suffer greatly with mental illness such as bipolar and depression. I pray for their healing, and although one in particular hasn’t been completely healed they were given new doctors and better medicines. In some ways their life is better right now than many people who have never had their burden. This particular relative is going into psychiatric nursing in order to help people who suffer addictions and mental illness. Their burden has pointed a way to serve others.

We many never know all the healings that have been gifted to us. But, God can and does heal people of all sorts of disease and sickness.

I had a misdiagnosed illness that got progressively worse. It came to a point that I hardly recognized myself. I barely took care of the ‘have tos’ in life. I could hardly play with my children, and I became short-tempered too many times. (Not the way I wanted to live.) Over ten years I was essentially homebound my world became very small.

In some of the worst of it I was told that it was just stress that was causing my suffering. Oh, I had stress alright, but it wasn’t what was causing my illness. Stress made it worse. God allowed one more illness to cause me to seek out an unrelated doctor who discovered cause of 90% of my suffering. I’m managing my situation and am looking to God to show me where I am meant to be and work I am meant to do.

I hated being sick all the time. And, although I am no saint, I prayed a lot. I read a load of books and materials on Christianity. I watched a lot of EWTN. When I prayed I often prayed for others, although I did ask for healing. I had a huge amount of time on my hands and did very little otherwise. I had always thought I would work Creatively or take up new studies such as a language. I didn’t have the energy for that at all. Recently I thought I had wasted so much time on ‘nothing’ and then I was reminded of what I went through and how much I cried out to God.

I say that God healed me. He saved me first.

Where were you when the foundations of the earth were laid?

Lmao. :smiley:
Too funny. The point is we all have our crosses to bear. Thinking of other people’s troubles distracts you from your own. This is not to undermine your pain. It is to keep things in perspective. Try to be grateful for the things you do have. Peace & Blessing.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.