How come pro-choice politicians have not been excommunicated?

Just wondering why pro-choice politicians have not been excommunicated? And why are there still bishops who allow this? Isn’t this causing scandal?

I’d honestly like to know the answer to this myself. I find it disgusting that they haven’t been excommunicated and I hate to say this but it doesn’t help my faith either. That said, I do continue to have faith in the Catholic Church and in God though regardless of things like this because while God is perfect, the members of His Church are not. :wink: And no, I was not excusing the pro-choice position of politicians there in any way either, I assure you of that! :thumbsup:

It is a puzzlement, isn’t it? I would think something might have been learned by the stonewalling of the sexual scandal in the Church. It sure leaves the Church open to criticism by those outside, doesn’t it?

They have been excommunicated , which was incurred as soon as the offence was committed!

It would be helpful if a statement like this came directly from our bishops. Or perhaps our bishops feel it would not be helpful?

Here is an article from 2004: findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1141/is_12_40/ai_112861750/?tag=content;col1

Here is the homily given by my bishop: charlottediocese.org/customers/101092709242178/filemanager/CNH%20Docs/Jugishomily8_804.pdf

When one is excommunicated judically, the purpose is to “bring the offender back to the church”, perhaps the Bishops feel the public censure is determential to reconcillation.

Because so many of the Catholics in the pews who give to the Church are also liberal Democrats. The political ramifications of excommunicating ALL the liberal Democrats who support abortion would decimate the churches.

The Bishops would have to make it crystal clear that supporting abortion in any way, shape or form means that you are NOT Catholic. Bam! No more contributions.

Sorry to seem cynical. But just follow the money.

In the ensuing years since abortion became law .(1973 ) Democrats have controlled the Presidency for 14 of those years. Republicans controlled the Presidency for 24 of those years. Both parties have Blood on their hands!

God is shining his Sun to good and evil alike.

Anti abortion lip service may get voters, but does not prevent abortion

Egh, good question.

Awhile ago I thought that the Bishops might be acting like the Lord God, constantly giving gentle reminders to repent and be converted. Now…I don’t know. Not meaning to criticise the Bishops because I have no clue how to run a diocese, but I think that perhaps our whole country is in a great deal of trouble.

I have to wonder if the patience of God is about to turn into chastisement. Don’t know, but I wouldn’t be surprised at all. Maybe one more big push for repentance is needed.

Or maybe the whole Catholic Church could say, “We don’t particularly care about having a ‘tax-exempt’ status anymore. Truth is Truth. No more silence in exchange for exemption.” Not sure if that would make a difference or not, but it would feel good to thumb our noses a bit at the secular humanists in authority.

It takes more than the president to overturn this unjust law.

The Democrats are to blame because they are adamant about keeping abortion a constitutional right. The Republicans are to blame because they are not adamant enough about overturning it. There are certainly more Republicans that are adamant about overturning Roe v. Wade than Democrats. Your statement implies that Republicans have done more harm than the Democrats. Perhaps you could clarify your statement.

The Church has always courted the rich and powerful. The following link describes Ted Kennedy’s funeral. Notice how it mentions that the Archbishop of Boston officiated at the service.

abcnews.go.com/Politics/TedKennedy/story?id=8442072

Perhaps I’m mistaken but didn’t Senator Kennedy support abortion? Did he not womanize, abuse alcohol? How about Mary Jo Kopechne?

The Church could have made an huge statement by not participating in the lovefest honoring Ted.

My posting of facts imply nothing! I am not responsible for your interpatiton.
I do not know how to make a clearer statement than “Both parties have Blood on their Hands”

because if they have, or not, that is a matter between them and their own confessors or bishops, and is matter for confession, protected by the seal, and not matter for discussion or speculation by anyone else

But when the good Archbishop Marcel Lefebvre was excommunicated the Vatican made that public.

And, because these politicans are advocating PUBLIC HERESEY by pursuing pro-choice policies, doesn’t that make it our business?

The bottom line is that the Supreme Court justices could turn that law. In one time 7:2 was Republican and the law was not turned, proving that the lip service is lip service is lip service and nothing more.

To eliminate abortions is impossible. In Hungary between 1958 and 1954 or abortionist (doctors, midwifes, paramedics, whoever) were imprisoned for two years if caught and all women asking for abortion were publicly shamed. Still were abortions, not as much a later, but significant number.

In 1957 the birth rate in the US for 1000 person was 25.3. By 1971 it was 17.2 1972 (before the law legalized it) it was 15.6 (in one year 1.6 shrinking). In the year of the legalized abortion it went down only less than half, 0.7 to 14.9 ; kept on that level until 1976 than went up again above the pre Row vs Wade level in 1979 to 15.9 in 1990 to 16.7

infoplease.com/ipa/A0005067.html

The banishing God and the morality influenced the number of the births, not the Row vs Wade

Food for thought:

‘We are not innocent before God if we punish that which we should pardon, or pardon that which we should punish.’

St. Bernard of Clairvaux, Doctor of the Church

‘When they sin, rebuke them in the presence of all that the rest also may have fear.’

1 Timothy 5:20

‘Reprimand and rebuke should be accepted as healing remedies for vice and as conducive to good health. From this it is clear that those who pretend to be tolerant because they wish to flatter . . . those who thus fail to correct sinners . . . actually cause them to suffer supreme loss and plot the destruction of that life which is their true life.’

St. Basil the Great, Archbishop, Father and Doctor of the Church

‘Blessed the one who rebukes his neighbour with fear of God and has not deceived his soul, fearing each day the iron rod of the great Shepherd.’

St. Ephrem of Syria, Father and Doctor of the Church

‘I do not speak rashly, but as I feel and think. I do not think that many bishops are saved, but that those who perish are far more numerous. The reason is that the office requires a great soul … Do you not perceive how many qualities a bishop must have that he may be strong in his teaching, patient, and hold fast to the faithful word which is according to doctrine? What care and pains does this require! Moreover, he is answerable for the sins of others. To pass over everything else: If but one soul dies without baptism, does it not entirely endanger his own salvation? For the loss of one soul is so great an evil that it is impossible to express it in words. For if the salvation of that soul was of such value that the Son of God became man and suffered so much, think of how great a punishment must the losing of it bring.’

St. John Chrysostom, Archbishop, Father and Doctor of the Church

Heavy.

[quote="thomas jd]My posting of facts imply nothing! I am not responsible for your interpatiton.
I do not know how to make a clearer statement than “Both parties have Blood on their Hands”
[/quote]

Okay, the implication is my own. Let me add to your comments then that I believe the Democrats have completely abandoned the unborn. The Republicans that haven’t abandoned the unborn need to do a better job of promoting the culture of life and the critical importance of such a stand. Some Republicans have it, but IMO it is not a majority of them.

The Republican party of that time period is not the Republican party of today. Since Roe v. Wade became law in 1973, the Republican party has appointed several justices who have voted to overturn that tragic ruling. The Democrats have appointed none.

I do admit that not all of the Republican appointments have voted to overturn Roe v. Wade. So admittedly, thomas jd is technically correct that blood is on both parties hand. However, it ought to be known that there are at least some in the Republican party who are looking to correct that grave wrong.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.