How common are exorcisms?

Hi,
I recently read “The Exorcist” novel by William Peter Blatty and watched the movie version. I have an interest in the subject of exorcism and have read at least one book written by an actual exorcist ( Fr. Gabriele Amorth and Fr. Jose Antonio Fortea’s books)
I have noticed that the pop media portrayal of exorcism is not consistent with what I read of from actual exorcists. I have heard that every diocese is required to have its own exorcist. From many of the Hollywood type movies, exorcism is portrayed as something that never happens and which the Catholic Church is embarrassed about and now considers a superstition. What is the real story on exorcism, exorcists, and how often exorcisms are performed? Where can I find reliable authoritative information on exorcism and demonic possession etc? Are there any authors or books or articles that are good sources of information on the subject?
Thanks for any help you can offer.

The following link should help answer your question about exorcism. If you have any further questions, please contact Catholic Answers directly.

Recommended Reading:

What is the Church’s position on exorcism?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.