How could Adam & Eve have lost Heaven if they weren't supposed to die?

This may be a simple question, but it has me stumped…

The CCC states:

Death is a consequence of sin. The Church’s Magisterium, as authentic interpreter of the affirmations of Scripture and Tradition, teaches that death entered the world on account of man’s sin. Even though man’s nature is mortal God had destined him not to die. Death was therefore contrary to the plans of God the Creator and entered the world as a consequence of sin. (paragraph 1008)

I always understood this (and I’ve seen it in some basic Catechism books) that when they sinned, Adam and Eve lost their right to go to Heaven. If they weren’t going to die, how would they have gotten to Heaven?

Any references to books or articles that discuss this would be most appreciated.

God Bless,
Gary

Hi Gary, were they not in paradise on earth? God visited them daily.

It would be helpful if you could provide quotes from Catholic sources that say that Adam and Eve lost their right to go to heaven in the fall. Are you sure it didn’t rather say that the fall of Adam and Eve lost for their descendants the right to go to heaven?

In any case, we cannot know if at some point Adam and Eve would not have come to inhabit heaven instead of the paradisaical earth. It may be that God had always intended humankind to dwell with him in glory after a certain amount of time living on the earth. We cannot know that, though, since man fell and put that possibility out of the picture.

also one does not have to die to go to heaven elijah and enoch were assumed into heaven. Jewish people believe that Moses was assummed into heaven and catholics believe tha Mary was assummed too.

[quote=Della]It would be helpful if you could provide quotes from Catholic sources that say that Adam and Eve lost their right to go to heaven in the fall. Are you sure it didn’t rather say that the fall of Adam and Eve lost for their descendants the right to go to heaven?

[/quote]

Della,

From the Baltimore Catechism 2:

42. Q. Which were the chief blessings intended for Adam and Eve had they remained faithful to God?

**A. The chief blessings intended for Adam and Eve, had they remained faithful to God, were a constant state of happiness in this life and everlasting glory in the next. **

God Bless,
Gary

[quote=Daniel Marsh]also one does not have to die to go to heaven elijah and enoch were assumed into heaven. Jewish people believe that Moses was assummed into heaven and catholics believe tha Mary was assummed too.
[/quote]

Daniel,

Good point!

God Bless,
Gary

Just found this in the Baltimore Catechism 3.

***Q. 255. Were we to remain in the Garden of Paradise forever if Adam had not sinned? ***

A. We were not to remain in the Garden of Paradise forever even if Adam had not sinned, but after passing

through the years of our probation or trial upon earth we were to be taken, body and soul, into heaven without

suffering death.

That pretty much answers it in my mind. Thanks for your excellent answers, Della and Daniel. You were right on the money!

God Bless,
Gary

Heaven is the Beatific Vision-- direct contact with the Divine Intellect and Will… seeing God as he truly is. This does not require death.

From the account in Genesis, they lost access to the tree of life, which when eaten regulary, would mean they never would die.

They also sinned, which would have merited them eternal damnation. There was no salvation plan in effect to make up for their sins. And, God did not immediately grant them forgiveness.

It seems that the Church teaches that people were imprisoned in purgatory or someplace until Jesus died on the cross and freed them, to enter heaven.

You’re right, it’s confusing. But surely some OT people went to heaven. Enoch was one. on the mount of Transfiguration, Jesus was talking to Moses and Elias, so they must have been in heaven. Duh, I don’t know.

Can we really blame Adam and Eve for their sin. What I mean is how many of us would not have done the same thing. It is just human nature to be curious and when we can’t have something it just is so annoying that eventually curiosity will get the best of us. Perhaps that is not true for everyone and some will say there is no way they would have committed that sin. However, I really think that nearly every person would have at some point even if it took thousands of years, ate the fruit and I God probably expected this when he created us and it was all part of his plan. The test is over once we get into Heaven as we are in complete communion with God. I am assuming there will be no dsire to sin as there will be no temptation. Therefore, there will be no forbidden fruit in Heaven. So it wasn’t a complete paradise on earth for Adam and Eve.

Ok, if physical death (as opposed to spiritual death) actually was a result of the fall, how can any Catholic believe in evolution??

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.