How could God want me to be anything but a Catholic?

Hi,
I was raised Protestant, and my husband is Jewish. (Neither of us practised our religions before marriage.) I celebrate the Jewish holidays at home but fear converting to Judaism would endanger my immortal soul (How non-PC is that?). By that I mean, how could I deny Christ and yet trust in salvation? I believe God made an unbreakable convenant with the Jews, but I’m not a Jew. I have wanted to convert to Catholicism, but a priest told me that I should pray to find out what GOD wants me to do, instead of following my wants. I don’t understand–if the Catholic Church is the true church as it says, how could God want anything else for me? Help, I feel I’m in limbo.

Dear B,

Your concerns are right on! The Lord really has His hand on you. I don’t know why that priest was so passive about the Good News. We are to shout it from the house tops. The fact is that God IS telling you what he wants. By the way, God’s covenant with the Jews was unbreakable, but it has been superceded by the New Covenant of Jesus Christ. As Rosalind Moss, our Jewish convert staff-member, likes to say, you can’t be more Jewish than to be Catholic. You might want to get a hold of her tapes, particularly “A Day of Grace” which is available through our “Shop” on catholic.com.

I would suggest that you contact a Catholic church and tell them that you feel drawn to the Church. If you have further questions that you might want to ask me, you can click on my name and write me privately. You are in my prayers.

Fr. Vincent Serpa, O.P.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.