How could the writers of the scriptures know word for word what happened?

I have been thinking alot about who wrote the bible and who wrote the sacred texts which were later complied to make the bible we have today.

In the bible, there are some occasions where jesus and peter have private moments where jesus wants to speak to peter by himself,so noone else would know what was being said as it was between peter and jesus. Thats just an example.

My question is,how could the writers of the gospels know exactly word for word what was being said by the decisples and jesus etc from every single place they went to?

I know you will say god guided them,god inspired them etc and i belive this also but if we are more direct with the question,i want to know how they would know each and every word even though they had never met the decisples and were NOT there when it was all happenng…tradtion maybe does this.but then again how could each and every word be given and then years later remembered and written into texts?

A good asnwer would be MUCH appreciated:)

[quote=godsent]I have been thinking alot about who wrote the bible and who wrote the sacred texts which were later complied to make the bible we have today.

In the bible, there are some occasions where jesus and peter have private moments where jesus wants to speak to peter by himself,so noone else would know what was being said as it was between peter and jesus. Thats just an example.

My question is,how could the writers of the gospels know exactly word for word what was being said by the decisples and jesus etc from every single place they went to?

I know you will say god guided them,god inspired them etc and i belive this also but if we are more direct with the question,i want to know how they would know each and every word even though they had never met the decisples and were NOT there when it was all happenng…tradtion maybe does this.but then again how could each and every word be given and then years later remembered and written into texts?

[/quote]

When family members die, others often tell stories among themselves. I am sure that this is what happened with the disciples. Peter told the others exactly what happened. Also weren’t the Gospels Mathew and John written by the apostles themselves?

There is reason to believe that the Holy Spirit helped the Apostles remember all that Jesus had told them, even word-for-word:

26But the Counselor, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, he will teach you all things, and bring to your remembrance all that I have said to you. (John 14:26)

There is also reason to believe that what Jesus spoke in private was later made public:
27What I tell you in the dark, utter in the light; and what you hear whispered, proclaim upon the housetops. (Matthew 10:27)
It is possible that the gospel writers did not rely solely on their own knowledge of the events but, like St. Luke, compiled their narratives from what was delivered to them “by those who from the beginning were eyewitnesses”:

1Inasmuch as many have undertaken to compile a narrative of the things which have been accomplished among us, 2just as they were delivered to us by those who from the beginning were eyewitnesses and ministers of the word, 3it seemed good to me also, having followed all things closely for some time past, to write an orderly account for you, most excellent The-oph’ilus, 4that you may know the truth concerning the things of which you have been informed. (Luke 1:1-4)

Jesus spent three years in his public ministry with the Apostles probably repeating his teachings in each town he came to. After hearing the same teachings repeated day-in-and-day-out for three years, the Apostles should have had no problem recalling Jesus’ teachings word-for-word even years later.

Remember too that not everything Jesus did made it to the pages of the gospels:
25But there are also many other things which Jesus did; were every one of them to be written, I suppose that the world itself could not contain the books that would be written. (John 21:25)

Why would one gospel say Jesus was crucified after passover, and another says before?

[quote=Ortho]Why would one gospel say Jesus was crucified after passover, and another says before?
[/quote]

Which are the verses/gospels giving two different accounts?

[quote=thistle]Which are the verses/gospels giving two different accounts?
[/quote]

John gives one. I think the other is Mark, but perhaps Matthew. I don’t remember the verses.

[quote=godsent]I have been thinking alot about who wrote the bible and who wrote the sacred texts which were later complied to make the bible we have today.

[/quote]

Tradition teaches us that mark was the secretary of Peter. There is good reason and evidence for this tradition.

THE AUTHORS OF THE GOSPELS

The most of the Evangelical writters had a source. This source was the Apostles themselves. Matthew and Luke are usually attributed to Peter and Mark I believe is attributed to James. However, it has been a while since I studies biblical sources so I might be wrong in my assignments.

There are many different theories about the sources of the Gospels such as the Q theory etc. However, there has been a lot of recent evidence to suggest that the traditional positions of the Church concerning authorship are more credible then previously thought in this last century.

John 16:12-15

"I have much more to tell you, but you cannot bear it now.13 5 But when he comes, **the Spirit of truth, he will guide you to all truth. **He will not speak on his own, but he will speak what he hears, and will declare to you the things that are coming.14 He will glorify me, because he will take from what is mine and declare it to you.15 Everything that the Father has is mine; for this reason I told you that he will take from what is mine and declare it to you.

IIRC: John 19:31 says that it was the Day of Preparation which would be Friday before the “Special Sabbath” as John calls it. Due to the time of year the “Special Sabbath” can only be Passover (The Day of Unleavened Bread). The synoptic gospels all refer to the Saturday as being Passover. (Matthew 26:1, Mark 14:1, Luke 22:1)

By the Power of the Holy Spirit.

Not knowing the exact example you are talking about. Generally the accounts really compliment or suppliment each other not contradict each other when looked at carefully.

There are several possibilities. One could be the fact that there were two calendars at the time; that followed by the pharisees and that followed by the essenes.

The theology behind it is far more interesting than the historical matter. I find it interesting that John shows Christ being crucified when the lambs are being slaughtered for the passover. Christ is our passover lamb. He was slaughtered that we might be saved from death.

of course not everything was written down. we call Oral Tradition. many of the teachings of Jesus and the Apostles remained unwritten and has been passed on through word of mouth. there is a reason for that. God has His mysteries.

many things remain between God and His chosen ones.

remember that the Church is the Pillar and Bullwark of the Truth. now with so many claims of so many churches, which Church carries the Truth? now, i know this the Apostles did not lie when they said this…

something to think about it.

:bowdown: :byzsoc: :grouphug:

When the Spirit of truth comes, he will guide you into all the truth; for he will not speak on his own authority, but whatever he hears he will speak, and he will declare to you the things that are to come. 14* He will glorify me, for he will take what is mine and declare it to you. 15 All that the Father has is mine; therefore I said that he will take what is mine and declare it to you.

John 16:13-15

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.