How did Jesus fullfill the law when he broke it?

he gathered food and heald the sick on the Lords day. this was against the Law. So how can he fullfill when he is breaking the laws?

this was asked of me and I need some help

The Law was made to serve Man; Man was not made to serve the Law.

I heard that George Washington committed treason against the British Empire, breaking several British laws. And yet Washington fulfilled the greater law of Freedom and Justice, which the British laws were ideally supposed to support.

Did He?

Or did He go out of His way to display what the law really was all about?

Mark 3:4 And he saith to them: Is it lawful to do good on the sabbath days, or to do evil? to save life, or to destroy? But they held their peace.

Luke 6:9 Then Jesus said to them: I ask you, if it be lawful on the sabbath days to do good, or to do evil; to save life, or to destroy?

Luke 14:3 And Jesus answering, spoke to the lawyers and Pharisees, saying: Is it lawful to heal on the sabbath day?

Christ, who is God, did not break the Law.

He revealed the *errors *the Jews had made regarding the Sabbath Law, its interpretation, and its meaning.

what did he fullfill and also I am getting that Jesus healed a man with a wounded hand that could have waited. and he gathered food that was against the law:hypno:

Um… you’ve missed the point.

Healing and gathering food are not against the Sabbath law. The Jews taugh wrongly that these things violated the Sabbath. Jesus confirmed that they do not.

I mean that I am getting it from someone else sorry for the misleading sentence.

Great question!

Jesus’ entire ministry was devoted to showing how following the letter of the law while ignoring its spirit was unpleasing to God.

Healing the sick on the Sabbath is a good example. If our brothers need us, why would we deny them?

The Good Samaritan is another good example, where person after person literally crosses the road to avoid helping the robbers’ victim so they could be at Temple on time. The Samaritan was good because he recognized that his brother needed help; that was the top priority.

Would you speed if you were taking your neighbor to the trauma center? Or would you scrupulously follow the posted speed limit while he bled to death in your car?

Similar situation with the “impure” people. Christ made a point of interacting with sinners—prostitutes, tax collectors, etc. This scandalized the Pharisees. Christ demonstrated that we must help our neighbors, for we are all God’s children.

Christ broke the letter of the law to fulfill the spirit of the law.

makes since to me I just cant convey this to my Jewish Aunt. I love her to death but its os obviouse to me.

Look at it this way. The Mosaic Law was given to form a people that would be in good relationship to God; a people not like their polytheistic neighbors. This separation and difference of the Jewish people was an attempt to keep them apart from their neighbors and thus not so likely to have their faith contaminated by false ideas and practices. Those who kept the law were judged under the old covenant and could enter heaven once Jesus the redeemer died to open heaven’s gates once again to mankind. Salvation was now totally through Jesus whose graces were to flow through the Church he established. Jesus fulfilled the purpose of the law which was to prepare a people for his coming and to make them capable of salvation. The old Mosaic Law became obsolete. Those who came after would be judged under the new covenant.

rwoehmke, I beg to differ, the Law is NOT obsolete. AND if you were a prophet I certainly would not listen to you as you go against what G-d says.

Psalm 111:9 He sent redemption unto his people: He hath commanded His covenant for ever: holy and reverend is His name.

The Covenant of Sinai is Eternal
Daniel 9:4 And I prayed unto the LORD my G-d, and made my confession, and said, O Lord, the great and dreadful G-d, keeping the covenant and mercy to them that love him, and to them that keep his commandments; (KJV)

Nehemiah 1:5 And said, I beseech thee, O LORD G-d of heaven, the great and terrible G-d, that keepeth covenant and mercy for them that love him and observe his commandments: (KJV)

1 Chronicles 16:13 O ye seed of Israel his servant, ye children of Jacob, his chosen ones. [14] He is the LORD our G-d; his judgments are in all the earth. [15] Be ye mindful always of his covenant; the word which he commanded to a thousand generations; [16] Even of the covenant which he made with Abraham, and of his oath unto Isaac; [17] And hath confirmed the same to Jacob for a law, and to Israel for an everlasting covenant. (KJV)

Isaiah 24:5 The earth also is defiled under the inhabitants thereof; because they have transgressed the laws, changed the ordinance, broken the everlasting covenant.

In Hebrews 8:9, while quoting Jeremiah 31:32, the author changed important words in the verse. The clause of Jeremiah 31:32 (KJV) reads,
“although I was a husband unto them, saith the LORD:”

Hebrews misquoted Jeremiah’s words and instead wrote,
“and I regarded them not, saith the Lord.”

So, we should say to those who believe that the New Covenant has come to pass: if we’re under the New Covenant, you can stop preaching the word, because obviously the task has been completed. You are performing an unneeded task. The entire world knows the Lord, doesn’t it? refer to Jeremiah noted above.

I will follow Moses…Deuteronomy 34:10
Since then, no prophet has risen in Israel like Moses, whom the LORD knew face to face,

if any person goes against what Moses taught, which he learned straight from the Almighty…then one certainly should not listen to him.

Seriously, guys - what part of forever do people not understand. Look at the following:

Isaiah 24:5 And the land has deceived because of its inhabitants, for they transgressed instructions, infracted statutes, broke the everlasting covenant. 6. Therefore, an oath has consumed the land, and the inhabitants thereof were wasted;

We see that the N.T. advocates all three of these things; that people transgress the laws, change the ordinance and break the everlasting covenants.

1. Transgressing the Law:
    "Christ hath redeemed us from the curse of the law, … (Gal 3:13)

Wherefore the law was our schoolmaster to bring us unto Christ…But after that faith is come, we are no longer under a schoolmaster. (Gal 3:24-25)

But now we are delivered from the law, … and not in the oldness of the letter. (Romans 7:6)

But if ye be led of the Spirit, ye are not under the law. (Gal 5:18)

For the priesthood being changed, there is made of necessity a change also of the law. (Heb 7:12)

For the promise, that he should be the heir of the world, was not to Abraham, or to his seed, through the law, but through the righteousness of faith. For if they which are of the law be heirs, faith is made void, and the promise made of none effect: Because the law worketh wrath: for where no law is, there is no transgression. Therefore it is of faith, that it might be by grace; to the end the promise might be sure to all the seed; not to that only which is of the law, but to that also which is of the faith of Abraham; who is the father of us all, (Romans 4:13 -16)

2. Changing the Ordinances:

Having abolished in his flesh the enmity, even the law of commandments contained in ordinances; for to make in himself of twain one new man, so making peace; (Eph 2:15)

Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, … (Colos 2:14)

Wherefore if ye be dead with Christ from the rudiments of the world, why, as though living in the world, are ye subject to ordinances, (Colos 2:20)

3. Breaking the Everlasting Covenant, i.e. the Sabbath, the Brit Milah or the everlasting priesthood.

1. Sabbath – as specified in:

Thus shall the children of Israel observe the Sabbath, to make the Sabbath throughout their generations ****as an everlasting covenant. ****Between Me and the children of Israel, it is forever a sign that [in] six days The Lord created the heaven and the earth, and on the seventh day He ceased and rested." (Exodus (Shemot) 31:16-17)

Each and every Sabbath day, he shall set it up before the Lord [to be there] continuously, from the children of Israel an eternal covenant. (Leviticus (Vayikra) 24:8)

And He set it up for Jacob as a statute, to Israel as an everlasting covenant. (Chronicles I (Divrei Hayamim I) 16:17)

Does not Christianity repudiate G-d’s commandments by establishing a “new” Sabbath on the first day; the so-called “Lord’s Day” (see Acts 20:7 and Revelation 1:10). This clearly ignores God’s command that the Sabbath is for the Jews, the Children of Israel, ONLY. The Sabbath is not for Gentiles!

1. Brit melah – as specified in:

This is My covenant, which you shall observe between Me and between you and between your seed after you, that every male among you be circumcised. And you shall circumcise the flesh of your foreskin, and it shall be as the sign of a covenant between Me and between you. (Genesis 17:10-11)

Those born in the house and those purchased for money shall be circumcised, and My covenant shall be in your flesh as an everlasting covenant. And an uncircumcised male, who will not circumcise the flesh of his foreskin-that soul will be cut off from its people; he has broken My covenant. (Genesis 17:13-14)

Does not Christianity now spit in the face of G-d, speaking against the very people He chose for His special mission?

Behold, I Paul say unto you, that if ye be circumcised, Christ shall profit you nothing. (Galatians 5:2)

1. Everlasting priesthood – as specified in:

It shall be for him and for his descendants after him [as] an eternal covenant of kehunah, because he was zealous for his God and atoned for the children of Israel. (Numbers 25:13)

For the priesthood being changed, there is made of necessity a change also of the law. (Hebrews 7:12 ) :shrug:
A final word of wisdom from the real Bible, the Hebrew Bible – a prophetic warning from Jeremiah:**

O Lord, Who are my power and my strength and my refuge in the day of trouble, to You nations will come from the ends of the earth and say, "Only lies have our fathers handed down to us, emptiness in which there is nothing of any avail! (Jeremiah (Yirmiyahu) 16:19)

see previous post

Jesus allowed his apostles to desecrate the Sabbath. But in justifying the desecration, Jesus famously says: “The Sabbath was made for man, not man for the Sabbath.” This pronouncement is actually a classic rabbinic statement.

Jesus’ disciples were in a field and they picked corn, which indeed violates biblical law. And while the New Testament does not give us the story’s background, the nature of Jesus’ answer to the critical “Pharisees” seems to supply us with a clue.

He refers to an incident in the book of Kings where David is fleeing his enemy with a few loyal men. Their lives are in danger and they have no food. David allows his men to eat the showbread in the Temple in order to save their lives, even though they were not priests and were thus not permitted to eat the showbread. What Jesus is thereby inferring is that he has allowed his students to break the Sabbath and pick corn because their lives are in danger and they are in desperate need of food.

THE TALMUD says, ‘The Sabbath was handed over to you, and you were not handed over to the Sabbath.’ This maxim, directly echoing Jesus’ words, is found throughout the Babylonian Talmud, for example in Yoma 85b. The Talmud takes it for granted that human life must be saved at all costs, and the question of keeping the Sabbath when life is endangered is quickly brushed aside.

closed #14

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.