How did Jesus get from Caiaphas' house to Pilate's house?

I was in the Holy Land last year and I wonder how did Jesus get from Caiaphas’ house to Pilate’s house? Was He walked through the streets? It’s less than a mile based on current maps.

Pilate’s palace was west in the city.

I took the trouble of making a map:

I’m betting limousine…

He walked, probably under guard. He hadn’t been beaten yet. About a mile sounds right, 15 minute walk.

Wo-o-o! About the beating? Are your sure? In the garden He was struck. And remember Judas said to hold him fast! I have seen a crowd capture a weaker one and push and pull and kick it unmercifully. I’m leaning toward–He had several beatings…

And the high priest tore his garments and said, “What further witnesses do we need? You have heard his blasphemy. What is your decision?” And they all condemned him as deserving death. And some began to spit on him and to cover his face and to strike him, saying to him, “Prophesy!” And the guards received him with blows.

Nice map.

Probably walked.

I was thinking Uber.

That’s true but Caiaphas’ house is south of Pilate’s palace. I don’t recall reading how Jesus was brought to Pilate.

Thank you.

Thank you, Patrick.

Our tour guide showed us the place where Jesus was kept overnight in Caiaphas’ house before He was brought to Pilate. It’s a large hole in the ground and a harness was placed on Him and He was lowered into it. There are now steps to go down into the area. It is pretty deep.

With the various people Jesus was brought before (Caiaphas, Pilate, Herod, Pilate again), he probably did not have a lot of time to be left in a hole. For anyone interested in the timetable of events that night, volume 2 of Pope Benedict’s Jesus of Nazareth trilogy has an interesting chapter on the subject, the long and short of which is that there is a lot less academic consensus on the subject that one might think.

Jesus went to Caiaphas’ house at night and then went to Pilate in the morning first.

All I’m asking is how did He get from Caiaphas’ house. Was he walked through the streets? Based on Google Maps of Jerusalem, a person can walk it in under twenty minutes.

Thanks.

It is likely. The streets would probably not have been busy in the middle of the night. Be careful of looking at modern maps of Jerusalem for things like distances though, the street layout is quite different today than 2,000 years ago.

:rotfl:

How about the written record from Peter’s viewpoint?

Mark 15:1 Jesus before Pilate
And as soon as it was morning the chief priests, with the elders and scribes, and the whole council held a consultation; and they bound Jesus and led him away and delivered him to Pilate.

Yes. I realize the street layout then versus now would be different especially given that Jerusalem was destroyed a number of times since the time of Jesus. I was told while in the Holy Land that the current Old City is at a higher level as well.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.