How did Jesus grow in wisdom if god is omniscient

And Jesus advanced in wisdom, and age, and grace with God and men

Luke 2:52

“Have this mind among yourselves, which is yours in Christ Jesus, who, though he was in the form of God, did not count equality with God a thing to be grapsed, but emptied himself, by taking the form of a servant, being born in the likeness of men. And being found in human form, he humbled himself by becoming obedient to the point of death, even death on a cross.”

That’s incredibly interesting…
Jesus humbling himself…perhaps being - that form - of wisdom mentioned.

I’ve been trying to humble myself - or at least catching ‘pride’ arising. It’s tough.
Acceptance- instead of wanting / seeking - justice.
It almost goes against normalcy.

I remember last week, I mentioned to someone,
that the only reason - we have a tongue- is to bite it - lol
I suppose martyrs are a very very humble breed !

In his humanity he grew in wisdom. Just like in his humanity, he sweated blood/prayed for the cup of suffering to be taken away.

God has a capital G.

It’s referring to his human nature, not divine nature.

Because while He was divine, He was also human, and had a human head. And that head began life empty, as is the norm for human life.

ICXC NIKA

When the Holy Family went to Jerusalem, the child Jesus stayed in the Temple debating and teaching the scholars there.

On this, he may not have been teaching the rabbis. A common teaching method would be to read scripture or give a 'lecture," and then to ask the students/children questions on what was just said. What was likely happening is that Jesus was responding to those questions with insight/skill well beyond what would be expected of a twelve-year old and perhaps even many adult students, such that his answers impressed the rabbis who were teaching.

The notion of the “empty head” at birth happens to be wrong according to developmental psychologists. Even John Locke did not believe in “tabula rasa” but some of his followers misread his writings and attributed the idea to him, such as William James.

As to Jesus, I assume, as others have stated, that the fully human nature of Jesus is the one that grew in wisdom, not even knowing He was the Messiah at first.

Good to see you onboard again!

The notion of Jesus’ knowledge is a school of thought in theology.

The Beatific Vision;
His infused knowledge;
His experimental knowledge.

It is with the last that Jesus can advance, and also truthfully claim that he does not know the day or the hour.

Well, I think it’s a mystery how God and man can be one. Perhaps the comment refers to Jesus appearing to grow in wisdom as he grew in age. His parents were undoubtedly coaching him and the appearance was that he was growing in wisdom. That phrase is an ancient phrase, remember, and it was probably a common one.

In the spiritual sense, it might have meant that he was a serious student of the Torah and other Jewish writings.

I’ve just started N.T.Wright’s PAUL, where he depicts the young Saul as an avid student of the scriptures. This book is focused on the historical aspects of Saul/Paul. Such an interest is indicating how he became the person we know of him in the New Testament.

You should accept so much and ignore justice that you allow wrong doers to harm others and stand idly by.

Yes , @FloridaCatholic , Jesus advanced in wisdom , and age , and grace with God and men .

As we pray in the 4th Eucharistic Prayer , " He shared our human nature in all things but sin ."

So in his human nature Jesus was like us in all ways except , unlike us , he was sinless .

In Greek, “sophia” means experience and skillfulness in activities, as well as what we mean by wisdom.

Little boy Jesus knew all things, sure, and knew how to do all things. But like all little kids, he had to teach himself to successfully move and do tasks, through experience. That is wisdom in one Greek sense.

The Maker of the Universe, the Word, once had chubby weak fingers. St. Joseph and Mary had to help him learn and grow, to use those fingers.

It’s a great mystery how the divine and human are unified in Christ.
I try to remember that Christ endured all things that human beings endured, except for the rupture of sin.
The budding carpenter would have smacked his thumb with an errant hammer, and used the wrong tools out of human ignorance.
He would not have called the name of his Father in vain anger in these situations.

Actually… Jesus never had human ignorance of facts, because He knew everything. I mean, He was there when everything was created; He kept everything existing. He knew the hearts of people he talked to. He had made carpenters and inspired their creativity when they invented carpentry.

Kinda hard not to know the right tool. Pretty easy to reach for it and grab the wrong one. Pretty hard to make your unskilled hand do the job right.

Of course, Jesus could probably have just told the wood to shape itself, the same way He told the wind and the sea to be still. But that wouldn’t have been learning a trade!

There’s a big difference between knowing theory and having practice engrained in you. Jesus Christ knew that difference like nobody else in history.

Certainly God knows everything in his divinity, in eternity. And consonant with that we have The Second Person of the Trinity assuming full human nature, in time. In Christ’s full human nature he has everyday human ignorance of human endeavors.
Jesus would be clueless about the facts of nuclear physics. This is not the same thing as calling Jesus ignorant, which has a negative tone about his disposition to the world around him.
Consider that the child Jesus was raised by human parents and grew in wisdom and stature. The Child does not know how to use a hammer. That gap in knowledge is filled and grows as he grows.

And at the same time Jesus is a perfect unity of humanity and divinity.
It’s a great mystery that should draw us further and further into it.

It is commonly accepted that Jesus’ knowledge is classed into three types:

1. The Beatific Vision. This is the knowledge Jesus possesses by his being the Second Person of the Trinity, i.e. it is God’s omniscience by virtue of Jesus being God.
  2. Infused knowledge. This is knowledge imparted to Jesus’ human soul by virtue of the Hypostatic Union. Because the divine and human natures are united in a single Person, it is therefore impossible that that person in one Nature cannot know something known in the other Nature.
  3. Experimental knowledge. This is knowledge Jesus possesses by virtue of his being true Man. This is the same kind of knowledge the rest of us possesses. As true Man, Jesus had the capacity to learn and develop, and this experimental knowledge had the same kind of limitations as ours. In this knowledge, Jesus grows and learns, acquires skills and can truthfully claim ignorance. It is in this knowledge that he does not know the day or the hour, while in the Beatific Vision and his infused knowledge, he knows all that.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.