How did some protestants tried to convert you?

What do some of them do? One thing I remember is that one denomination brought pamphlets and comics about Revelation.

They mostly start arguments at my apartment door. Seriously. I don’t know what it is about my apartment complex, but we have people ALL THE TIME trying to convert us. lol. They leave tickets to different church events, pamphlets, cards, etc.

Usually by twisting scripture out of context and ignoring the Bible is not the end all of Christian knowledge.

Imagine debating trigonometry with someone who only took algebra or ancient Greek with an English Literature major. It isn’t that they don’t know what they know; it’s that they don’t know what they don’t know.

In any event, they rely on Sola Scriptura and a very poor understanding of Scripture.

I never realized the origin of a lot of Evangelical Protestant information until I read the book, Catholicism and Fundamentalism. That book pretty much covers everything you will encounter with Protestants.

I was friends with a guy on line who was an SDA elder (or some position of “prominence” in his Church) and he sent Email after Email showing me how the “Catholic Church,
changed the Sabbath Day” and if some evil Pope had done this and acted like God of course the whole religion had to be false.

Come to find out the entire religioin is based on extra Biblical reference books written by Ellen White who had this vision of the Pope changing the Sabbath day. She cannot nor can any SDA name which Pope this was of course. I also found on their “prophetess” Ellen White was brain injured as a kid and if was felt her visions were some result of this brain injury.

This person SDA and other SAD posters on the then AOL Catholic Protestant Message board were THE MOST anti Catholil of anyone I have ever met. Their whole religion is bashing down Rome. They try really hard to “pretend” on the message board Ellen White was not that important but the truth of the matter is she is the key to this relgion and her visions

Nice guy thought just mininformed. He gave up on me ater I matched Email with Email and moved on to try to convert some other Catholic. (Must win bonus points for converting Catholics LOL ! :slight_smile:

Mary.

I attended a Seventh Day Adventist church for a while, and after I disappeared for a few years (and later revealed that I had gone Catholic) a woman whom I knew by sight but not be name invited me to come for choir practice, even though I had never attended their choir practice in my life. I remind her that I don’t sing, I sing very badly, people pay me to stop singing, but she keeps insisting that I ought to come to choir practice. :smiley:

LOL…yes the heavenly choir of conversion out of the “Whore” Church. I can about imagine. I doubt they’d be singing “Immaculate Mary” :slight_smile:

Must be nice to get a few paychecks here and there for not singing.:smiley:
Peace and Blessings in Christ.
Mary,

I wonder what Protestants would say if we reversed the question? I’ve never had a Catholic approach me to talk about Jesus.

Is there a Catholic rule or reason to this that I’m not aware of or maybe it’s just my location?

In my mother’s case, an acquaintance handed her the first volume of the Left Behind series, saying that it would change her life.

She handed it back a little later, saying that:

1. the idea of God taking people up that way and leaving their clothes was silly, and the God she believed in wasn’t silly
  2. as a literature professor, the book was very poorly written.

End of conversion attempt. She’s awesome that way. :smiley: :smiley:

The only Protestants that really try to convert me are the fundamentalist, non-denominational Christians. The rest just leave me alone. They told me that purgatory does not exist and that as a Catholic, I haven’t accepted Jesus as my Lord and Savior.

Very convincing argument. :rolleyes:

Oddly enough, since I swam the Tiber in 2005 I haven’t had a single Protestant try to convert me back, not even my dyed-in-the-wool Baptist cousins. As a matter of fact, when we gather for a big post-Decoration-Day dinner, they ask me (the only Catholic in the room) to bless the food! Go figure.

I never have either. I went to Grad school down on the coast in the US, close to New Orleans, everyone that was Christian was either Baptist or Catholic.

Excellent point, and a question every Catholic should be asking themselves. historically Catholics targeted non-believers, but in dealings with those who are already Non-Catholic Christians, they usually do not engage in evangelical activities. The closest to many come is to defend through argument their own belief instead of sharing the precepts of the faith.

Even worse is the lack of effort to engage fallen away Catholics.

Yes, the new evangelization addresses these needs, but honestly, as I see less than 10 percent of Catholics doing the work of the parish and in support of the church and parish financially and with time and talents, I wouldn’t look for much more effort than the Sunday only Catholics nodding their heads in support of the new evangelization.

So, until we as a church change and truly commit to our priorities, when you answer the doorbell on any given Saturday, you may find someone from one church or the other to share their belief, but don’t expect to find a Catholic!

South Louisiana is predominantly Catholic. When you head north, you get more of a baptist/evangelical mix. Central Louisiana has a huge Oneness Pentecostal population and a strong baptist presence. North Louisiana is 70% Protestant and the majority if those are part of the Southern Baptist Convention.

It’s similar in Mississippi, though heavier on the Baptist as you head northward.

Usually they knock on the door. Next time I might just hand them a prayer card like this and say goodbye.

I like this approach. I’ve done something vaguely similar to a Jehovah’s Witness once. :thumbsup:

Interestingly I can’t recall anyone really trying to “convert me”…

Of course like others I’ve had folks come to the door but these conversations are generally brief and to the point - There is generally not a lot of apologetic discussion…
Other times, faith might come up at work or in a social setting - but generally the conversation is rather general and simply an exchange of views - - not a real effort to “convert” me…

I suppose it might depend some on how one defines “trying to convert” me…:shrug:

Peace
James

It just not seems to be the culture for Catholics to evangelize non-Catholic Christians. Probably we don’t see the need to and our Catechism do say good things about them. We are just not the Bible-clutching-knocking-on-the-door type. Perhaps that is one reason why we look so dumb to the non-Catholic Christians and therefore must be game for conversion. To some extant unfortunately that holds true.

As to non-Christians our approach for evangelization is non-aggressive and mainly we do it in a corporate way thus it is seldom to see individual Catholics who are very enthusiastic in evangelizing. We do, for example, run programs for public or set up schools where the objective in term of evangelization is never immediate.

On the other hand aggressive Protestants would simply just put you off. I have seen such colleagues who were simply have no idea of propriety in a given situation and I do not think they could evangelize people effectively.

To be fair, the type of protestants who would try to actively convert RC’s are the same ones who would try to convert other protestants too. I’ve been told I’m going to Hell by far more protestants than RC’s… in fact it’s only been hinted at by some RC’s I’ve talked to, whereas it has been outright declared by some protestants. lol

This is what I experienced in my own life. Catholics are quiet Christians. You notice them because they pray before meals, like other Christians, but they will cross themselves unlike other Christians. Because I married a protestant and we both made a journey through their various denominations and non-denominations, I can tell you they do not think Catholics are Christians. But as a cradle Catholic I always thought anyone who believed in the gospel…was a Christian.

John 3:16-21
For God so loved the world that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life. For God sent the Son into the world, not to condemn the world, but that the world might be saved through him. He who believes in him is not condemned; he who does not believe is condemned already, because he has not believed in the name of the only Son of God. And this is the judgment, that the light has come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil. For every one who does evil hates the light, and does not come to the light, lest his deeds should be exposed. But he who does what is true comes to the light, that it may be clearly seen that his deeds have been wrought in God.

But with a one exception
1John 2:9-11
He who says he is in the light and hates his brother is in the darkness still. He who loves his brother abides in the light, and in it there is no cause for stumbling. But he who hates his brother is in the darkness and walks in the darkness, and does not know where he is going, because the darkness has blinded his eyes.

and I was always confused as to why protestants just hate Catholics, if we are believers who strive to live in the light as Jesus commanded.

The protestant who first invited me to her church was because I wasnt going to any church at the moment. I had tried to go back to the Catholic church as a teen, on my own, and didnt get any response. This lady’s church had a Bible study group that I was instantly accepted in. Had I been steered to attend a Catholic one, I would have. But I got no response from the parish I contacted and I had tried for months. So I would tell Catholics, dont ignore your fellow Christian, love them as your brother, help them out of darkness. I was there and it aint pretty.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.