How did St. Thomas More know being a monk was not his vocation?

I read in the book: To Save a Thousand Souls that St. Thomas Moore figured out that being a monk was not his vocation. How did he know? :p

Prayer...spiritual direction I believe...reason...spending time with the Carthusians ...

Thanks, but does anyone know more specifically? How did a spiritual director figure it out? :slight_smile:

[quote="LovePatience, post:3, topic:271911"]
Thanks, but does anyone know more specifically? How did a spiritual director figure it out? :)

[/quote]

I do not know per se that the "Spiritual director figured it out" ..certainly St. Thomas More had to decide ....

He did though spent time with the Carthusians before he decided...so he took his time..with prayer etc.

One can read too his biography "A Portrait of Courage" for "more" on his life

Hey! Father Brett Brannen is my parish priest! :wink:

Diocese of Savannah!

Thanks! I looked into the book that you cited above and found the reference to the Epistle of Erasmus, Vol. II, p. 394 where it states that this was his reasoning.

"a profession without testing themselves beforehand. And indeed there was no obstacle to his adopting this kind of life, except the fact, that he could not shake off his wish to marry. Accordingly he resolved to be a chaste husband rather than a licentious priest."

This reason is as simple as any others, but he went to more effort for discernment. ;) Thank you very much! :)

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.