How did the authors know certain details?

How did the authors know what were the internal motives of the heart (especially in the Old Testament), and how did they know what people said in private prayers (like Jesus in the garden while the 12 were sleeping, for example)?

Before answers start pouring in using only human reasoning I want to point out that the authors were given divine revelation to know and understand things hidden and would have never been known otherwise. Much like the prophets of the Old Testament which were given direct revelation from God. The same Holy Spirit that worked through these men to do miracles is the same Spirit that revealed these mysteries to them.

But this doesn’t mean that a portion was not relayed by conversations with the Lord and from the Blessed Mother.

:thumbsup::slight_smile:

:thumbsup: Great answer…Copland 3!

John 14:25-26 I have said these things to you while still with you; but the Paraclete, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you everything and remind you of all I have said to you.

One possible explanation is that the Holy Spirit told them what happened as they were writing their histories. Believing the Gospels to be inspired, we can easily accept that explanation.

Another explanation is simply that Jesus later told His disciples what they had missed. No disciple was present with Jesus during the wilderness temptation in Matthew 4, but, later, Jesus spent over three years with the disciples. Isn’t it likely that He related to them what had happened sometime during those three years? Similarly, Jesus was alone as He spoke to the woman at the well in John 4, yet their conversation is quoted at length. A common-sense explanation is that Jesus later filled His disciples in. Or perhaps John got the story from the woman, given the fact that the disciples stayed in her city for two days following her conversion (John 4:40).

After His resurrection, Jesus appeared to the disciples over a period of forty days “speaking to them about the kingdom of God” (Acts 1:3). In those forty days, Jesus would have had ample opportunity to inform the disciples of all the things that happened to Him when they were not around. In any case, the events of Jesus’ life that God wanted us to know—including events that occurred in solitude—were documented. The key is God wanted us to know. Either the events were disclosed directly to the disciples at a later time, by Jesus or by someone else, or the apostles learned the details straight from the Holy Spirit as they wrote God’s Word.

Wouldn’t the idea that the Holy Spirit directly helped be a bit different than the Bible being inspired by God?

A distinction can definitely be made. There are what seems to be a portion of people who believe the Bible to be full of contradictions, errors and myths, but still thinks it is inspired. Personally, to say it nicely, i disagree with that school of “thought”. Though Yago seems to understand that, since he did mention the Holy Spirit and followed up with inspired as can also fit the context as well.

I’m sure Jesus was asked a lot of questions after He rose from the dead. I would ask Him if I was there.

Peace,
Ed

Holy Spirit is not God?!!?!

Because, it was revealed to the prophet by G-d.

The Holy Spirit is one of the three Persons of God, the third Person, in the Holy Trinity. :slight_smile:

Of course, but my understanding of inspired by God isn’t an audible voice or mind control. I just have a difficult time with the understanding how some things were written.

Audible voice and miknd control are different…
I, however, feel that it was interior locution.

Being inspired by God has nothing to do with mind control.

Why ?

Because there’s a difference between having your thoughts guided by the Holy Spirit to relate the truth in your own words, genre, and style, versus being told directly from a voice or something in your head. I guess I interpret “direct help from the Holy Spirit” to mean something significantly different than guiding and protecting the truth in the author’s words.

The Torah was transcribed letter by letter, while the Prophets and Writings were not so controlled. In fact, two or three books were almost left out of the TaNach do to things that appeared to be contradictions until it was explained by a Rabbi.

Mind control would be to have one’s mind possessed and made to do things one didn’t want to do. If a direct answer is given by God then one’s heart is going to raise in response meaning that in hearing the voice one would choose to do what is said because the heart knows what is good for her and rejoices with such knowledge from her creator.

G-d disagrees:
*(Num 15:39 KJV) … and that ye seek not after your own heart and your own eyes, after which ye use to go a whoring:

It amazes me how many times people pick random bits of Scripture out of context to prove a point that has nothing to do with the question in the thread!

What has a line of Scripture to do with the evil in one’s heart in preference for bad intentions got anything to do with the joy one feels when God speaks directly to a Prophet (one’s heart)? What are you talking about? What does this prove?

:confused::slight_smile:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.