How did the gospel writers know about these things?

There are parts of the Gospel that are written about what Jesus felt and thought and said when He was alone… so how did the people who wrote the Gospel know what it was that Jesus felt and said and did at those times? Did Jesus tell them about it later on? And if so, when? After the resurrection?

It just doesn’t seem likely that those types of things would have been talked about. ?

That is a good question. Like Jesus experiencing the agony in the garden. How did they know he was experiencing that, if they were all asleep?

Unless they wrote about it later in the manner in which Revelation was written. Where Jesus shows them a vision of the events and instructs them to write down everything they see and hear?

How did anyone know what He said or did?

John 14:25-26 I have said these things to you while still with you; but the Paraclete, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you everything and remind you of all I have said to you.

Well then who is the Paraclete?

Jesus spent a lot of time with His disciples after rising from the dead. I think I would have had a lot of questions if I was there. Also, not everything Jesus did was written down.

biblehub.com/john/21-25.htm

Peace,
Ed

The Paraclete is another name for the Holy Spirit.

In this particular instance one of the gospels mentions the Jewish authorities attempting to detain a young man during Jesus’ arrest. The young man escaped and ran off naked. He may have been an eyewitness to Jesus’ agony. It was an odd little detail to include in the gospel unless the young man had some significance.

:thumbsup:

Blah, well that’s not all too helpful. After all, anyone could claim that the Holy Spirit was guiding them. :frowning:

but they cant get the Churches approval.

Divine revelation alone is more than sufficient to give them the knowledge of everything they wrote. I am quite amazed that anyone would doubt that the apostles were given these details by the Holy Spirit since it was the Spirit that allowed them to raise people from the dead and heal the sick. I sort of understand considering modern scholarship has tried to exclude the mystical side of Scripture study and only rely on an academic system of human reasoning.

There ya go.

Disciples: So you knew you were going to your death, how were you able to face that?

Jesus: I was sweating blood over it guys. While you were sleeping I’m over there praying real hard for my Father to sustain me.

D: How did you learn to pray like that?

J: Remember I went in to the desert when I first started out? I fasted, I prayed. Satan himself came to me in the middle of it all. I used Scripture against him.
You guys remember that…ask and it will be given to you. Sharpen your prayer skills!

D: Wow. You writing this down Peter?

Interaction between Jesus and his disciples. Communication. I’d have to believe Jesus was a great communicator (pun intended).

I’m reading a Jewish commentary on the Torah and it is filled with things that could not be proved today to a scientific certainty. Like Fr. Mitch Pacwa says, science cannot explain everything.

What is remarkable is how coherent scripture is.

The Second Vatican Council said that Scripture tells us what we need for salvation. Nobody should let the details be a stumbling block, as Jesus says.

“I still have many things to say to you, but you cannot bear them now. When the Spirit of truth comes, he will guide you into all the truth, for he will not speak on his own authority, but whatever he hears he will speak, and he will declare to you the things that are to come. He will glorify me, for he will take what is mine and declare it to you. All that the Father has is mine; therefore I said that he will take what is mine and declare it to you.

I’m not an advocate of the dictation theory of inspiration, but I do think that revelation by the Holy Spirit did play some part in their knowledge of these stuff. There are even scholars with a more skeptic bent who will theorize (even if they word it quite suspiciously) that perhaps, the knowledge early Christians had about some of the more sketchy aspects of Jesus’ life were acquired in some way via revelation by the risen Jesus/the Spirit. I mean, Jesus didn’t stay dead, did He? And He could still very well have contact with the disciples even after the Ascension.

Interesting comment. Thanks Flagstone.

That is in the Gospel of Mark.

I started a thread some time ago about it with some interesting replies.

forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=869676

:slight_smile:

The Gospels were written later, they weren’t taken down as it happened.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.