How different are these orders from eachother?

So right now I am working with a priest about vocations. I feel more called to the Brotherhood first, with the possibility of Priesthood one day. who knows!?!? Now i know there are MANY orders out there. But i was wondering if any of you have been educated by these orders, have had friends in them, or at least know what makes them different from each other (besides founders). If I become a brother i would want to wear religious garb. I noticed most dont, but most have the OPTION of a cassock and a rather large crucifix! I want to teach religion, be a counselor, and continue to be an organist. These are things i noticed most orders have. I do not feel called to be a missionary. But i am still in high school so who knows! so here are some I am looking at. although there names are so similar it can be confusing. I also have never been educated by brothers, so I have never been able to be influenced by any of these orders.
Marists
Marianists
Marians of the Immaculate Conception (I do love saint Faustina alot, and love the Divine mercy message they are entrusted with)
Brothers of the Sacred Heart.

thankyou!!:slight_smile:

This is MY opinion, only, I do not intend to choose for you. But as you came and asked …

I feel that you are too young to take any option. Besides, the things that attract you in the Orders are not mature enough.

My opinion, you should go to University if you can or work for some time and mature. You cannot mature an apple forcefully. It just matures by itself. You need time, things are complicated and there is no need to rush.

Moreover, the things you learn outside will be valuable in the Order. In the Middle Ages, though clergy were the only people educated, they were quite ignorant.

Not any more. Priests need to be very knowledgeable about today’s world and Brothers too and that takes time of study and work.

GBY

I actually do plan to go to college. What attracts me to religious life is prayer, ministry, evangelization, the vows. This is what I feel God is pulling me towards, but i do understand it is not time to reveal his plans to me. I would never change my life and discern anything for a superficial reason, for if it was superficial it would not be Gods will. I do not plan to discern one based on how they dress,etc, although religious garb is just something i would prefer. So many congregations have become so close in Charism I was just wondering how exactly they differ in these times. I learn about different congregations because it is very inspiring, and good to know the works they do.

There is an order that is lesser known in North America but fairly large in Europe it is called:
"Fraternités Monastiques et Laïques de Jérusalem." In English it is called the Monastic Jerusalem Community. Their only North American community is located in Montreal, Quebec, Canada.

My former spiritual director was a nun in this community. It is a pretty interesting community because it is located in a busy neighbourhood of Montreal inside a major culture hub of the city. It is an order of both nuns and monks who live in their separate sides of the monastery but they come together for prayers and other special community activities. They wear the full religious garb. They are what they call semi. They spend about half of their time in prayer and adoration. Their liturgies are so beautiful. Because they are located in a busy area and right next to a busy metro station, might I also add, people from all over can come and listen to their liturgies and different daily prayers. Those again are just amazing. They have 12 or 18 hour adoration basically every day with the exception of the summer because that's when they have their summer silent retreat. They also work part time in the community. They are nurses, my spiritual director worked as a campus minister which is how I got to know her. Others work in other professional areas as well.

If you are considering religious life, this could be an option because you (you will need to double check with them) could work as a teacher as well as follow your other dream to become a monk.

Since you are still in high school, you have plenty of time to discern. When it's time to consider university or college and the calling is still very strong, you can always study in Montreal. Montreal has some really good universities such as Concordia and McGill. The programs are wonderful. They both have strong Catholic groups. McGill has the Newman Centre that is also open to Concordia students as well. Generally Catholic Concordia students go between the two universities.

While you are here, you can visit them. You can attend their liturgy, prayers and pray in their chapel which is so beautiful. It is an historic site. They have a young people's group and there are young people's retreats that also happen as well. If this community appeals to you, you will need to learn some french but if you decide to study in Montreal, french lessons are easy to come by. An easy way to learn the language is to join a french church. Trust me that's easy to find. There is a Cathedral (french) just down the hill from McGill or a ten minute walk from Concordia.

Here is the link for the community:
jerusalem-montreal.org/

Here is also a couple of links of their prayers. These don't take place in Montreal but their liturgy is still beautiful.

youtube.com/watch?v=osfonTbKiww

youtube.com/watch?v=qXsbFt_mSA8&feature=related

As I found the above, links I happened to find two links for the Montreal community. The people are so nice.

youtube.com/watch?v=B9FlGTEU7OM

youtube.com/watch?v=itMhCD1ys54&feature=related

I hope this helps,
If you have any questions, please feel free to write me.

Good Luck,
SG

P.S. They sound even better live.

Hey buddy,

I agree with the others that you have plenty of time to discern and the best way is to check them out. I know alot about the Marians of the Immaculate conception and they are a great group with alot of vocations and very faithful to the teachings of the church. They are a mix of brothers and priests. Their website is marian.org

They wear clerics but cassocks are coming back with the younger guys. Not saying the older members are wacky just a different era on thoughts of priestly garb.

God bless and good luck in your discernment!

CD

[quote="discerner1995, post:1, topic:254387"]
So right now I am working with a priest about vocations. I feel more called to the Brotherhood first, with the possibility of Priesthood one day. who knows!?!? Now i know there are MANY orders out there. But i was wondering if any of you have been educated by these orders, have had friends in them, or at least know what makes them different from each other (besides founders). If I become a brother i would want to wear religious garb. I noticed most dont, but most have the OPTION of a cassock and a rather large crucifix! I want to teach religion, be a counselor, and continue to be an organist. These are things i noticed most orders have. I do not feel called to be a missionary. But i am still in high school so who knows! so here are some I am looking at. although there names are so similar it can be confusing. I also have never been educated by brothers, so I have never been able to be influenced by any of these orders.
Marists
Marianists
Marians of the Immaculate Conception (I do love saint Faustina alot, and love the Divine mercy message they are entrusted with)
Brothers of the Sacred Heart.

thankyou!!:)

[/quote]

Well, actually, most male Religious do indeed wear Habits. You must simply look for the right places. The Franciscans, Salesians, Benedictines, Carmelites, Dominicans, Carthusians, etc, all wear Habits, and there are many more orders that do.

I know this isn’t one of orders you listed, but you may like the Dominicans depending on Province. Some are more conservative than others. Some do alot of teaching at High Schools, and Some do College Chaplain ministry.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.