How do Catholics have fun at nightclubs?

I’ve never been to a nightclub, and I’ve been to very few parties. I’m not even old enough to go to a 21+ club, but I like to plan ahead. :wink: I was looking at another post where most people thought that going to a nightclub and “having some fun” was good for Catholics.

Here is my question: what does that fun consist of, for you?

(Also, if you go to clubs where strangers make out and whatnot, how do you deal with it?)

How do Catholics have fun at nightclubs? Have 1 glass of wine and don’t talk with or touch anyone!!! LOL.

Just do what people normally do at clubs: drink, dance, socialize, etc. :thumbsup:

BTW, I think there are clubs for people 21 and under so maybe you can check that out.

Don’t go to that kind of club, or, just don’t watch. :shrug:

Yeah, I just don’t go to places where people are doing questionable things. I have a local brew pub, and just engage in conversation with whoever (yeah, I’m that guy). You can meet some very interesting people and have some surprisingly good conversations.

I can’t imagine anything that goes on at a nightclub that I would consider fun. But that’s just me.

You go with a bunch of friends, you drink in moderation and you have fun dancing to some great music OR seeing a band you all like. You leave with the people you came with and make sure you have a designated driver, if needed (because some people get buzzed on one or two drinks and its better to be safe than sorry).

Dance dance dance! And go home when you aren’t finding it fun or if you feel temptation. Don’t let people pressure you into staying on later than you want to, or doing anything you aren’t comfortable with. Be aware of temptation. A lot of clubs are meat markets and certainly none are places of innocence!

I personally like bars better than clubs. Most bars I have been to will have live entertainment on the weekends and you can still dance and have a good time. Clubs seem to be super packed and I do not like being stepped on constantly. :slight_smile: Either way, there is nothing wrong with having a few drinks and dancing the night away with friends.

When I was young and did these sorts of things, I really enjoyed the energy of such places. I enjoyed the noise, the crowd, the music, the lights, the dancing, all of it.

As a matter of fact, the most fun I had were the times I didn’t drink any alcohol at all. My girl friend (not girlfriend) and I would go out every week and dance. I didn’t drink because I was driving, and she didn’t drink because she didn’t drink.

(I found out a later that our favorite night, Thursday, was “gay night.” Maybe that explained why the music and clientele were a little more sophisticated than the crowds of Friday and Saturday…:rolleyes:)

Haven’t been to a bar or nightclub since I was in the Navy 45 years ago. If that kind of life is “fun” I hope I never have fun again as long as I live!:frowning:

Nightclubs are not my thing. For dancing, I prefer going to the community contra/square dances at the Marilla Center here in Morgantown, that run monthly on Saturday nights from September to May. Family oriented, no alcohol, live (and old-fashioned) music which is purely instrumental – so no objectionable lyrics to worry about.

If you’re in the area, check us out: morgantowndance.com/

I’m with you guys…While I’m not saying that a Catholic can’t go out with friends, have a drink or three, dance etc…I just don’t see how this can be done at most nightclubs in a way that fits with my idea of being a Christian…

That said - and the OP is admittedly young - there is often a learning curve involved where one must do certain things in order to learn why such things should not be done…
Like getting drunk and throwing up…:dts::blushing::whistle:

Peace
James

:thumbsup:

:thumbsup:

The type of place where the energy is just about this, is the type to which I would not return. :dts:

The only time I ever had a drink of alcohol I got so sick at my stomachI couldn’t eat for several days afterwords. Later in life I found that I have the disorder called GERD where there is a disorder of your esophagus that causes heartburn and a doctor told me I should avoid alcoholic beverages among other things. So since then I have a perfect excuse for not drinking! I can’t even take communion as the wine. I only take the host. For a few years I worked as a bagger at a super market. Once in a while if a customer had wine as part of their order the bottle would slip out of my hand as I was trying to put it in a bag or the shopping cart. It would of course hit the floor and break and I just about gagged at the smell. It is the same way now at Church if I get anywhere near someone holding the Chalice during Communion. Smells as if something “died.”:eek:

Agreed - but the example of drinking and throwing up is just one example of things that most youngsters have to go through (either personally or by watching others) as they learn what is and is not good to do.

Alcohol is a physical item where imprudent use can easily have very negative and very physical consequences.
There are spiritual things that can have the same problems. Going out with friends, joking around, dancing, etc. are all fine when exercised properly…but they can also easily slip into imprudent behavior…sort of a mental or spiritual intoxication where one finds one’s self saying or doing things they would not do normally - or normally would consider to be consistent with the Christian life.
This is especially true with many forms of modern dancing and modern humor - or what passes for humor in today’s world.

For myself - as a 58 year old who has already made many such mistakes - I can’t think that nightclubs as anything but a box full of “near occasion” of sin…
NOTE HERE - I’m not passing judgement on others…I know that I am weak…and I know (now) there are things I need to stay away from.
But I had to go through that learning curve which I mentioned earlier…and I had to go through it both physically (with various forms of intoxication) and spiritually (with many years away from the Lord).

So - this is just my :twocents:

Peace
James

Isn’t there a passage where Paul states something to the effect of, 'sin isn’t what goes into a person, sin is what come out of a person?" :wink:

What I think of as a “nightclub” back in the day had an element of class, high-level entertainment, and good manners. What pass for “nightclubs” today are mosh pits of flesh, carnality, and intolerable noise. Not my idea of fun.

It was Jesus that said it is not what a person takes in that defiles but what a person puts out that defiles. Saying this he declared all foods clean.

Not to say they weren’t but also not all clubs today are like that. I hope. The world out there isn’t all “Jersey Shore.” I hope .

Correct…Mt 15:17 and Mark 7:19
In context, Matthew says…
10And he called the people to him and said to them, “Hear and understand: 11not what goes into the mouth defiles a man, but what comes out of the mouth, this defiles a man.” 12Then the disciples came and said to him, “Do you know that the Pharisees were offended when they heard this saying?” 13He answered, “Every plant which my heavenly Father has not planted will be rooted up. 14Let them alone; they are blind guides. And if a blind man leads a blind man, both will fall into a pit.” 15But Peter said to him, “Explain the parable to us.” 16And he said, “Are you also still without understanding? 17Do you not see that whatever goes into the mouth passes into the stomach, and so passes on?18But what comes out of the mouth proceeds from the heart, and this defiles a man. 19For out of the heart come evil thoughts, murder, adultery, fornication, theft, false witness, slander. 20These are what defile a man; but to eat with unwashed hands does not defile a man.”

Peace
James

Indeed…But I would also suggest that what is coming out of a person can be seen (somewhat) by where a person goes into. ;):smiley:

Like I said earlier…I’m not passing judgement on anyone else…I just know myself well enough to stay away from such places. Give me a nice quiet night at home. But then I’m what some would call an “Old Fogie” :popcorn: :yawn::sleep:

Peace
James

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.