How Do Catholics Keep Track?

How do you guys keep track of all the writings of the Church fathers?

I keep seeing these quotes all over this website and I imagine there must be zounds more.

Do we really know none of them contradict another?

Some Fathers did contradict one another. St Cyprian and St Stephen I over the baptism of heretics comes to mind.

what i look for is when multiple early church fathers believed the same things.
To me, its kinda hard to deny the early teachings of Christ, since the early church fathers learned from the apostles themselves:)

I have much of the writings of the ECFs on CD. You can also find their writing online.

They were human and therefore they mad mistakes like anyone else. There were times when they would disagree. However, that doesn’t mean that everything they passed down was incorrect. God bless.

Hi

I agree with you; but it would be somewhat equally correct to say that, that doesn’t mean that everything they passed down was essentially correct. So, one must be respectful and grateful at the same time careful and cautious to verify if they passed down correct things or incorrect things. Discerning correct from the incorrect is a quality of a believer, which one must possess to tread on the right path. In my opinion blind faith is no faith.

Thanks

Hi

I agree with you; but it would be somewhat equally correct to say that, that doesn’t mean that everything they passed down was essentially correct. So, one must be respectful and grateful at the same time careful and cautious to verify if they passed down correct things or incorrect things. Discerning correct from the incorrect is a quality of a believer, which one must possess to tread on the right path. In my opinion blind faith is no faith.

Thanks

I would say that reading the ECF is easy compared to staggering through John Calvin’s Institutes. I haven’t gotten very far!

For 2000 years the Magisterium has studied, shaped, and discerned dogma. In addition, Catholics have the Holy Scripture as well as Sacred Tradition to guide us. No blindness here :smiley:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.