How do Catholics (or Christians in general, for that matter) respond to the claim that Muhammad "split the Moon"?

Just doing a little bit of research on Islam, and wanted to ask how Catholics would respond to the implicit claim of the Quran that Muhammad split the Moon?

Thank you,
Eugen von Böhm-Bawerk

The Catholic Church does not usually respond to claims made by other religions unless there is some direct attack on Catholic doctrine which is endangering the faith of CAtholics.

I know. But I mean, how do Catholics (as in, the ordinary faithful, lay theologians/philosophers) respond to the implication of the Quran?

Thank you,
Eugen von Böhm-Bawerk

What’s the surah and I’ll look it up and give you my opinion.

The reference to ‘splitting the moon’ sounds…slightly peculiar. Perhaps it means something different in Arabic? Or it might reflect a a corrupt textual tradition…

There is a scholar who suggests that the Koran was originally an Aramaic Christian text (Arabic only began to be written about a century after Mohammed died), which was altered when it was translated into Arabic, in order to suit the expansionist policies of the Caliphate en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Syro-Aramaic_Reading_of_the_Koran.

**54:1-2

The hour drew nigh and the moon did rend asunder. And if they see a miracle they turn aside and say: Transient magic.**

• If the moon was split, many nations would have recorded this, but not one nation/country recorded this incident.

This is what the story has to say about it (I found this on two different sources on the web), and it relates to your assertion:

Thank you,
Eugen von Böhm-Bawerk

Another problem I have with this point is that Joshua was described in the Bible as fighting the famous battle where God made the sun “stand still”, yet from what I’ve read, it isn’t documented elsewhere (although one source I am reading says that ancient civilizations did record one day where it seemed longer than usual, so I’ll look more into that source):

At that time Joshua spoke to the Lord in the day when the Lord gave the Amorites over to the sons of Israel, and he said in the sight of Israel,
“Sun, stand still at Gibeon,
and moon, in the Valley of Aijalon.”
And the sun stood still, and the moon stopped,
until the nation took vengeance on their enemies.
Is this not written in the Book of Jashar? The sun stopped in the midst of heaven and did not hurry to set for about a whole day.
(Joshua 12-13)

What inspired me to start this thread was due to a philosopher called David Hume, and his position on miracles. He was a skeptic, as he followed a philosophical tradition called naturalism, which says that only the laws of nature operate in this world; there are neither supernatural acts or a spiritual dimension. In short, “this world is all that exists”. One problem he had about miracles is that different religions cite different miracles, ultimately creating confusion as to which God, or god(s), is the real deal.

Now the splitting of the Moon, according to Muslims, is backed up by scientific evidence (the Moon has a pictured “groove” on it, which advocates suggest is the line where the Moon actually split, and thus confirming Quranic scriptures).

I was little bit surprised when I posted this thread and I didn’t receive a good criticism from the users here, considering that this is a major miracle in the Quran. Maybe I was too optimistic, or I posted it in the wrong forum (I was thinking about putting it in “Non-Catholic religions”).

Let’s wait and see…:slight_smile:

Thank you,
Eugen von Böhm-Bawerk

DON’T BE DISSAPPOINTED :smiley: as a little research always blows Islam away

just send them here

faithfreedom.org/Articles/sina40928p14.htm

and remember that Mohammeds prophethood is the only basis for their faith as if he fails as a prophet it all falls. So anything that they can show as a miracle can put him on par with Christ. He has none and the claim the Quran is ; is nonsence as we have only Mohammeds word he was even seeing anything.

:thumbsup:

Okay, this is good, I will read the link after I finish studying, but I’ve taken a glance and it seems something worthwhile. Thank you for making my day :D:D:p

Thank you,
Eugen von Böhm-Bawerk

Well, if mohamad did split the moom - where is it written in the koran that the moon was put back into one piece… ??? :stuck_out_tongue:

It’s all nonsense…

Hahaha, I didn’t even think of that :wink: :stuck_out_tongue:

Thank you,
Eugen von Böhm-Bawerk

also remember if Muhammed does have a miracle he contradicts himself because he says in many other surah and hadith that he doesn’t do miracles but rather is the warner of men. I don’t have all the relevant bits at hand but I know they exist and could dig them up again with a little research. :smiley:

The events in Fatima were not observed elsewhere in the world…

You’ve got to take the korana very lighty… there is a passage in there about Moses and he was laid his clothes on a bunch of rocks - I think Moses was trying to wash in the river/stream…

Anyway… the rocks run away with this clothes and Moses is chasing after the rocks to get his clothes back…

Now tell me… is that a faily tale or what… when was the last time you saw a rock run…??

:smiley:

It seems to me that the flaw in your proposition is that you believe we must take Muhammad at his word. So let me be quite clear about this. We do not believe that Muhammad was a prophet, nor that he was truthful, nor that the Koran has a divine origin, nor that he “split the moon”, nor that there is a groove in the moon (and there is not–that is an empirical fact).

So, just in case, I have not been clear enough, when it comes to this supposed Islamic miracle, all we have to say is “it ain’t true”.

You’re right, which is why I’m glad that the link thirddec provided had different reasons for disagreeing with what is said to have happened in the Quran. The most convincing that I’ve glanced at was the explanation away of the groove on the Moon.

In addition, whilst there is no record of what happened in Fatima (globally speaking), it was reported that towns several miles/kilometres away noticed that something was “wrong” with the sun.

Thank you,
Eugen von Böhm-Bawerk

I know Christians do not believe that Muhammad is a prophet. But like I’ve implied, it’s good to question. For instance now that I’ve started this thread, numerous amount of Catholics (or Christians of other denominations) will know how to respond to a Muslim trying to convert them when they use the miracle of the Moon being split. Had I not started this, many here would be ignorant of this ever being said to take place.

And from a secular perspective, David Hume would still argue that miracles are false from their testimony because of contradictory assertions advanced by various religions.

Thank you,
Eugen von Böhm-Bawerk

I don’t think we should be criticising another religion but remembering how much we share in a secular society which is often antagonistic to our common beliefs and values.

Just in case any Muslims insist on the veracity of their imaginary “groove”, here is an actual map showing the entire surface of the moon. As you can see there are lots of craters, but no sign of the big crack where the moon split and then came back together. Logically, it would have to run the entire length of the map, whether horizontally, vertically or diagonally.

http://www.physics.unlv.edu/~jeffery/astro/moon/map/moon_map_002.jpg

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.