How do Catholics witness?

I am currently a protestant believer. I will start RCIA in September. When presented with the opportunity, I am used to sharing my faith with others in Protestant terms (i.e. if you truly believe say the sinners prayer and Jesus will come into your heart and save you). How will I do this sort of personal evangelism if I become Catholic?

Dear J,

Repent, believe in the Gospel and seek Baptism! For over 2000 years this is how the Catholic Church has taught people to seek Salvation. There are no short-cuts. There is no immediate finality as there is with saying the sinner’s prayer and “being saved”. The Gospel shows us that salvation is a process. Salvation is indeed, a past event: “He saved us, called us, according to His grace…” (2 Tim 1:9) But it is also a present process: “…work out your salvation with fear and trembling…” (Phil 2:12) And it is a future event: “…He who perseveres to the end will be saved…” (Mt 24:13)

Our understanding of salvation is more complicated and much older than the one with which you are familiar. It’s also more Scriptural–or as Protestants would say, more Biblical.

While this may seem unfamiliar and perhaps not at as appealing to you, the message of a God who so loves us that He became incarnate, suffered extreme torture and actually died for us—is very much the same! We are loved with a Love that is more than human and our destiny is to live with Him forever!

Fr. Vincent Serpa, O.P.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.