How do Christians determine morality?

I would have thought that they would refer to the teachings of Christianity as found in the Bible in order to determine whether something is morally right or not.

However, after reading the comments of Christians in threads such as ‘Aisha’, I just cannot believe that these people are referring to the Bible when deciding matters of morality.

We don’t discount the Bible. Most Christians go by what’s in the Bible and what Holy Tradition says.

The “I can’t believe it’s not Christian” argument? Hey, I know it’s upsetting that people make a moral decision and condemn your holy prophet on that basis. But we try not to say that Jesus is an example for all time, and then pretend to both accept Him and distance ourselves from Him at the same time.

Do you mind if I ask 'what makes you determine whether something is morally right or not?"

Muslims believe that God alone determines morality and for this we refer to the Qur’an and Sunnah for guidance.

How about Christians?.. Do Christians also believe that God alone determines morality?

A simple ‘Yes’ or ‘No’ answer would be most appreciated.

Yes:p
Simple enough?

Well, that’s simply great!

Then since Christians believe that the Bible is the Word of God, you should have no problem at all in referring to the Bible when deciding whether something is morally right or not, shouldn’t you?

Again, a simple ‘Yes’ or "No’ would be most appreciated.

No problemo. You’re probably not used to someone being non-evasive.

…through the Holy Spirit guiding man… and in light of Holy Tradition…

I’d already answered this, though not with a yes/no

Here it is again…

You’re so busy steering towards an eventual outcome you’ve missed when I’ve already answered you! :stuck_out_tongue:

Is that the end of the thread?
:yawn:
Oh well, I’m off to bed :sleep:

Alrigthy then, the next question I need to ask:

What happens if there is a contradiction between what is written in the Bible and what “Holy Tradition” says in matters of morality – which of the two do you follow in order to decide what is morally right?

Do you give greater weight to the Bible or the “Holy Tradition”?

Scripture and Sacred Tradition cannot contradict each other, any more than God can contradict Himself. He is eternal and unchanging.

If at any given time for any given individual there might ‘appear’ to be a contradiction, that is because God (and His teaching) are infinite and perfect, and we human beings are finite and imperfect. We lack God’s understanding, being ‘creatures’–luckily, His Spirit remains to guide His church into understanding. We do not read the Bible, or study Sacred Tradition, in a vacuum. We have a teaching authority and the Holy Spirit. Praise be to God.

In other words, for Christians it would be the Church which determines whether something is morally right or not.

Is this what you are saying?

The Church (instituted by Christ, living Word of God) has the authority given to it by Christ and the guidance of the Holy Spirit, using Scripture (written word of God) and Sacred Tradition (oral word of God), to interpret Scripture and Tradition.

Moses brought down from the mountain the 10 commandments, which were written by God.
The Jewish scribes and pharisees, who occupied the seat of Moses, had the authority to interpret that written word of God. So are you then claiming that it was the scribes and pharisees who determined morality?

And then, Mohammed received the Qu’ran. Do the imans today determine morality, or is it from the Qu’ran?

The religious authorities in Islam cannot make rulings which are contradictory to what is found in the Qur’an and the Sunnah which are the sayings and actions of the Prophet Muhammad (pbuh).

However, in cases where there might appear to be some contradiction between the two, the Qur’an is always given greater weight over the Sunnah when determing matters of faith.

Could you expand on that at all?
How much do you know of the Bible? Which part of the Bible do you believe is being contradicted?
When you mention Aisha, it is rather odd you should want to focus on Christian morals except as a diversionary tactic?
BTW how do you square Mohammed’s life with the Bible - or are you going to claim the Bible has been corrupted?

You like your complex questions don’t you? Actually a lot of Mohammedans do.
Lucky for the jihadis that Mohammed just said kill the infidels rather than put them to the sword otherwise you still have to be doing it one at a time…:hmmm:

The Bible contains passages of marriage and sexual relations between young girls and much older men.

The Bible permits marriage with girls who have reached puberty, does it not?

And so, from a Christian point of view, how is this now considered immoral?

For those Christians who say that it is an immoral act, are you referring to the Bible when you say this?

This is a Catholic board, so most of the answers are going to be skewed towards a catholic view of Christianity.

Catholic’s morals are determined by Pope and the Magisterium. All scripture interpretation has to agree with that of the authority of the Magisterium for catholics. Magisterium puts traditions on par with the Bible.

I am not catholic, just a Christian. In that case (as with many Protestant Denominations, although I am not a Protestant). The Bible is my authority. Tradition can be looked at as historical influence, but not over the Bible, which is the Word of God

The Bible has to be looked at in context, so for example, Bible says to follow the laws of the land if they do not contradict that in the Bible.

The Bible contains historical, prophetic, moral, and many other qualities. Besides making laws, God allowed history to be documented. In which case, disobedience and the results of disobedient people are written for our benefit. So certain events have to be looked at in this lite.

Ultimately, the Bible testifies to man being incapable of meeting God’s standard. Even men like Abraham and Moses sinned.

Have you ever lied? if so, you are a liar. The Bible says:

Revelation 21:8
But the cowardly, unbelieving, abominable, murderers, sexually immoral, sorcerers, idolaters, and all liars shall have their part in the lake which burns with fire and brimstone, which is the second death.”

Have you ever stolen? Looked with Lust (God considers looking with lust to be adultery, Mat 5)?Unjustly hated (God considers this to be murder, Mat 5)?

Even the Quaran testifies to this:

However, the Qur’an says: “Every soul that has sinned, if it possessed all that is on earth, would fain give it in ransom” (Surah 10:54).

Therefore, how are you made righteous before God?

God sent His Son into the World, Jesus Christ.

Jesus lived a sinless life.

1 John 3:5
And you know that He was manifested to take away our sins, and in Him there is no sin.

He is the Lamb of God. He died on the cross to pay the penalty for your sin. He knew your name back then when He was on the cross. He loves you.

Then God rose Him from the dead, accepting His sacrifice. Think of a court system, where you are found guilty and have a fine. Saying I am sorry is not enough. Someone has to pay the fine for you to be set free.

Jesus did this and offers it as a free gift. This is the grace of God.

If you Repent (confess and forsake your sins) and believe (with all your heart, mind, and soul, not just intellectually, but clothe yourself with Christ). Then you will be saved, and have eternal life.

John 3

16 For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life. 17 For God did not send His Son into the world to condemn the world, but that the world through Him might be saved.
18 “He who believes in Him is not condemned; but he who does not believe is condemned already, because he has not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God

Believe in Him like you would a parachute if you have to jump out of a plane. You don’t just acknowledge it, you put it on. Put on the Lord Christ. Then read your Bible daily and obey what it says, and God will not let you down.

God Bless

Although I’m not certain whether the Bible does indeed contain such passages, I think you may have a point. As far as I know, marriage and relations with girls who have reached puberty was traditionally permitted by Christians. Mary conceived and got married to Joseph at age 13, though she was always a virgin.

The problem is that Aisha was apparently 9 years old and not 12 or 13. I’m not sure how you could justify that.

To be honest, I would personally be disgusted at the idea of an older man marrying a 12 year old nowadays, though I don’t believe it’s against God’s law for the reasons you’ve stated.

Please point out the passages where the Bible permits marriage to 9 year olds (as opposed to betrothal) In fact please point out the passages where it mentions anything about age and marriage.
Then we can go from there, logically step by step.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.