How do I change my name?


OK, so this is somewhat OT, but does anyone know how to go about legally changing my name? I did not change my last name when my DH and I married 10+ years ago, for a number of reasons. Things have changed, we have kids, I no longer feel as strongly as I once did about holding on to my maiden name, and I’d now like to change my last name to his.

I know that when you get married, all you need to do is indicate your “new” name on the marriage license, but obviously it’s a bit late for that for me. Do I now need to go through a complicated legal process? Thanks for any input.


Isn’t your name “offically” changed when you change it at the Social Security office?


I think you need to go before a judge. I also think it’s no big deal, and you get one “freebe” to do so.


I changed mine right away, and all I needed was a copy of my marriage license. This was for Social Security, driver’s license, bank accounts, etc. I would assume that it would be the same, even 10 years after the fact. But hey - I could be wrong.


I think you can do that without hassle. On most legal stuff, bank accounts, cards,… By just producing a marriage certificate it can be done, they change it no problem. I did so a week before my son was born ( after almost 3 years)


I think it depends on what state you live in.

I changed my name about 9 months after I got married. I tried to do it while living in Hawaii, and it was going to be a huge hassle; Not to mention, a bit of money. But when we moved to Texas, I just took my marriage certificate to the Social Security office and it was a done deal. So it may just depend on where you live. You should be able to get on the internet and find out the procedure for your state.

RyanL’s Wife


You may need an attorney since undoubtably many financial and legal documents are in your maiden name.


DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit