How do I confess cheating on income taxes?

Some of my income tax returns were submitted with falsified amounts on some areas and now I am being audited. How do I confess this? I am sick about this and it has been on my mind continuously.

Just confess it, from behind the screen if you prefer anonymity. All you have to say is, “I falsified amounts on my income tax return. I am complying with an audit to make restitution.” The second sentence, if true, will indicate to the priest that you are already taking steps to make reparation for your actions. And please do not worry; the priest is bound to complete confidentiality. He cannot reveal your sins in any way.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit