How do I convince people that drunkenness is wrong?

I am a college student and have been challenged *repeatedly *as to why I believe drunkenness is sinful. I have looked this up online and I understand that drunkenness is condemned throughout the Bible. (That argument doesn’t get me anywhere.) And I understand that drunkenness diminishes one’s capacity to reason. Since reason is what enables us to avoid sin in the first place, drunkenness is wrong. When I make that argument, though, the other person always says something like, “You obviously don’t know what you’re talking about. When I’m drunk, I know what I’m doing; I’m not stupid. So what’s so wrong about drunkenness for me?” And then I’m stuck. Help!

Dear Just,

To be drunk and think that in that state one’s capacity to reason is not diminished is an example of how ones capacity to reason IS diminished! When one is drunk, one’s reflexes are considerably diminished as well as one’s judgement. This is not a matter of opinion. Ask any police officer who has had to deal with drunk drivers. Your friends are in denial.

If you want more information, check with MADD, Mothers Against Drunk Driving: madd.org/home/

Fr. Vincent Serpa, O.P.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.