How do I cope with an anti Catholic husband?

I am feeling lost. My husband was confirmed Catholic in 2009. We loved our church and pastor. We moved to the southwest USA in 2010 and found the churches to be very fire and brimstone. We would leave mass feeling like bad people that weren’t worthy enough to be there.

I was born and raised Catholic. I am at a crossroad because my husband sees the negative news in the paper and on TV and has decided not to step foot in a Catholic church anymore. He is very much anti Catholic now and I am beginning to question my own faith.

Per Mark 12:31 “You shall love your neighbor as yourself”. However, the church does not seem to follow this. People are very judgemental, and if you aren’t Catholic, they look down on you. In addition, Catholics turn away from gay people and view them as sinners. My mother won’t watch “Ellen” because she is gay. She doesn’t see all of the good that Ellen does for people. There are people from my former church that won’t talk to me because they know I don’t attend church anymore.

Also, there is the ongoing problem with sex abuse by priests. A church in NM is claiming bankruptcy because of the scandals, and by doing this they won’t have to go to court to acknowledge the people who have been hurt by the scandal. It turns my stomach.

So how do I, a person who believes in God and does good for others deal with these feelings, and deal with a husband who believes in God but is becoming anti Catholic? Our relationship is excellent except for this issue.

Thank you in advance!

Kim

The following links should help answer some of the concerns of you and your husband. If you have any further questions, please contact Catholic Answers directly.

Recommended Reading:

Can Catholics judge others?
Do we not need to accept our gay Church members?
What do I do when I’m losing my faith?
Priest Scandal

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.