How do I cope with scrupulosity and the Eucharist?

How can a person actually know if s/he is in a state of grace? If there is doubt about grace or sin, even after recent confession, how can a person in all good conscience receive the Eucharist?

I have been told by some priests to receive the Eucharist unless I am aware of a mortal sin on my soul, and told by some other priests NOT to receive if there is doubt.

Due to a scrupulous nature, I have been staying away from the Eucharist unless I am absolutely sure I have not sinned since my last confession. As you can imagine, Eucharist isn’t happening as often as confession.

Thank you.

Hi,

Unfortunately, many priests do not understand the cross of scruples-which is a form of obsessive compulsive behavior. People with scruples cannot cope with mentally going over past sinful behavior. They become trapped in a cycle of fear, going over past confusion and an inability to form a final conclusion. So unless you are SURE of having committed a mortal sin, your conscience is clear. Receive the Lord in Holy Communion. Allow the LORD to be you savior. The Eucharist is not a reward. If it were, no one would be worthy of it. Don’t try to be your own savior. Trusting Him is a way of loving Him. Feel free to contact me privately by clicking on my name above.

Fr. Vincent Serpa, O.P.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.