How do I deal with the Statues vs Idols argument?

Need some ammunition. My wifes church group meets at our house every so often for bible study. They are Christian non-denominational from the Phillipines. Good people whom I love, especially the pastor. Well last night the whole argument of Catholic idols reved up. It was humorous to watch as they trully twisted what was being said by all everytime I made a valid point, To give a good example of what was thrown at me., “don’t even start creating religious art because it will lead to idol worship,” In the end I posed the question, “If I enter the Sistine Chapel and suddenly realize my insignificance and evil self compared to God by looking up at the painting of God reaching out to man, am I sinning by praying to God for forgiveness?” I was giving a flat out “yes” since the painting, an idol, prompted me to pray. Heheheh! How do I deal with these people? I do not worship any statues and pray to the saints to join me in prayer. These people, including my wife, hear what they want. Thanks so much. God bless all.

These links should give you the answers that you need as to why the Bible does not prohibit statues and images in spite of your sister in law. If you have any further questions or concerns that are not answered by this, please contact Catholic Answers directly.
Recommended Reading:

[LIST]
]**The Intercession of the Saints (Fathers)**
]Praying to the Saints
]Saint Worship?
]What is an example of idolatry?
]
Carving statues and Images

]* Where are statues and saints in the Bible?**
]* Where does the New Testament allow for graven images?**
]* Do Catholics Worship Statues?**
]* Verse by Verse: Statuary**
]* Statues of Limitations by Tim Staples**
]* Second Ecumenical Council of Nicaea (787)**
[/LIST]

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.