How do I defend the Eucharist?

a close friend of mine (college-age, cradle Catholic) is deeply struggling with the church's teaching on the real presence of Christ in the eucharist. i think he's partially concerned with the distinction that God is "more present" in the eucharistic meal than in the community of believers, and partially unable to wrap his mind around it logically or rationally (two words he used).

when i brought up the relevant passages in John (I am the bread of life, last supper discourses, etc.) he said, "but we're not fundamentalists," and when i mentioned that we believe the bible is inerrant on matters relating to our salvation, he said, "but I don't believe our individual salvation rests on whether or not we eat the eucharist"

it's a hard thing to defend; sometimes i feel like i'm just spouting off the textbook answers myself without really addressing his root concerns, and to be honest, i find myself unable to make any really convincing counter-arguments. any advice?

These links should be helpful for understanding the Roman Catholic Church's teachings on transubstantiation. If you have any further questions or concerns that are not answered by these links, please contact Catholic Answers directly.
Recommended Reading:
[LIST]
*]
The Eucharist IS Scriptural!**
]Transubstantiation for Beginners by Canon Francis J. Ripley*
]* The Glory of Transubstantiation by Abbot Vonier**
]Real Presence (Fathers)**
]Christ in the Eucharist*
]Who Can Receive Communion?*
]Sacrifice of the Mass (Fathers)**
]The Institution of the Mass*
[/LIST]

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.