How do I discern between mortal and venial sin?

Hello,

Yesterday I thought of someone in my past who insulted me. I indulged in a sort of fantasy about a clever way that I could have insulted him back. I repented after a few minutes, but since yesterday I have worn myself out thinking about whether or not this was a mortal sin. I do this sort of thing often with different thoughts, and this is killing me. I wear myself down wondering whether if it was a mortal sin. If I could just repent personally before God (provided I did it sincerely), there wouldn’t be such an issue. But mortal sin can only be forgiven in confession, and how practical is driving to town to go to confession several times during the week to confess my sins? I know there must be a better way, but I don’t know how to find it. Please help.

Lee

These links should help answer your question about sin. If you have any further questions or concerns that are not answered by these links, please contact Catholic Answers directly.

Recommended Reading:

How can I explain the Church’s teaching on mortal and venial sins?
What should I do regarding these scrupulous issues?
Am I being scrupulous?
How do I conquer scrupulosity?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.