How do I explain the theology of the body to kids?

I am looking for a recommendation on the Theology of the Body.

I have a son, two nephews, and a niece all within the ages of 16 to 18. The niece and nephews are not particularly “schooled” in the faith (they are Catholic) and my son seems a little “disinterested” in this particular topic. I had a discussion with my niece and nephews and they were shocked at the Church’s teachings on sexual morality and that all of these things participated in outside of marriage constituted mortal sins! They were very interested in our conversation and eager to learn so I feel obliged to give them (as well as their parents!) some materials on the subject.

So, my question is: What or which book would you recommend I give them: Theology of the Body Explained by Christopher West or Sex and the Sacred City by Steve Kellmeyer or would you have some other book in mind? It needs to be down to earth and in terms the kids understand not some heavy theological text.

I sure hope you can help me with this!

I have not read the books you mention, although I am familiar with the authors. Christopher West, in particular, is a particularly fine exponent of John Paul II’s theology of the body.

For teens, however, I have a different recommendation: Jason Evert, a chastity speaker for Catholic Answers, has written a book on chastity titled If You Really Loved Me. It draws upon John Paul II’s teachings on the body and cites the Pope quite often. It is also especially written for teens and young adults. If the teens are interested in more information, then I would direct them to the authors you mentioned, and also to Jason’s web site Pure Love Club.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.