How do I explain this to my Methodist friend?

I was asking a Methodist friend perception of Catholics he have and he made this comment

Believe the bread broken is literally Jesus's body. Isn't that cannibalism?

How do I explain to him?

Here is the answer from the Apologist forum:

forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=303517&highlight=cannibalism

Peace,
John

[quote="therainmakere, post:1, topic:311568"]
I was asking a Methodist friend perception of Catholics he have and he made this comment

How do I explain to him?

[/quote]

Read : Eucharist And Mass- The Real Presence by Frank Sheed
ewtn.com/library/ANSWERS/SHEEDEUC.HTM

How do I explain to him?

[/quote]

This is why some left Christ. Check John 6:57 or thereabouts. Christ said what He did and did not go after those who left him so He must have REALLY meant this is His Body and His Blood.

What does he think his communion is?

Yes, the bread becomes literally Jesus' body.

But what we see before us is not the substance of the bread. After transubstantiation, the bread is gone. What we see are the appearances of bread. Those remain. The appearances are not Jesus. We receive Jesus body under the appearances of bread, but He is not the bread. The appearances of bread do not even inhere in his body.

We consume his body without breaking it or harming it in any way. That is not cannibalism.

How do I explain to him?

[/quote]

I would simply say - No - it's obedience and refer him to John 6 as well as the accounts of the last supper...

Peace
James

It depends what the definition of "is" is... [Apologies to our younger members who don't remember this shining moment in American history.]

[LIST]
*]If one's definition of cannibalism is eating human flesh, then it's cannibalism.

*]If one prefers to come up with novel definitons of cannibalism because the word is unpleasant, one may be able to weasel out of that fact.[/LIST]

[quote="Digitonomy, post:7, topic:311568"]
It depends what the definition of "is" is... [Apologies to our younger members who don't remember this shining moment in American history.]

[/quote]

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

I am probably on the younger end of people who will "get it," but that's funny. :thumbsup:

[quote="Digitonomy, post:7, topic:311568"]

[LIST]
*]If one's definition of cannibalism is eating human flesh, then it's cannibalism.

*]If one prefers to come up with novel definitons of cannibalism because the word is unpleasant, one may be able to weasel out of that fact.[/LIST]

[/quote]

hahaha priceless :D:D:D

Thanks for pointing the articles above. Makes room for more interesting conversation. But then it depends what interesting interesting is.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.