How do I find faith?

I’ll try and keep it short, excuse me if I ramble on. But to sum it up as quickly as possible, I’ve never had faith, and I don’t know to how to go about getting it. I never really felt like something was missing in my life until now. I want to believe, and I try, I’ve been reading up a lot on the Catholic/Christian theology and history and I’ve been reading the Bible but I just don’t feel like I really truly believe. I do feel like Catholicism is the path for me, because my grandmother is Catholic and so is my mother (loosely). But I was never put through communion or brought to church on Sundays or anything like that so my knowledge is also limited. I would love any form of advice anyone might have that may help me. Also, I was wondering if there was some sort of rule about the rosary, I know how to say it but do you have to be confirmed to do the rosary or what? I just ask because it seems like a good way of meditating on the scripture and thought it might be something worth trying. Thanks so much everyone!

There are no rules about having to be confirmed or even Catholic to say the rosary (I’m not…yet). It’s not like God, Jesus, the Holy Spirit or Mary are going to turn deaf ears because ‘dems ain’t Catholic lips a-prayin’.

Have you considered going through the RCIA program at your local church? You can learn a great deal about your faith, you’re be surrounded by many caring Catholics, and you will be able to partake of the Sacraments (including Confirmation)…God Bless

Is the RCIA as a way for adults to find faith, or is it more just “informational” so-to-speak?

One way to find your spiritual footing in the Catholic Church is through the lives of the saints. I would strongly suggest that you read the biographies of the following saints if you can afford to get you hands on them:

St. Francis of Assisi by St. Bonaventure

St. Elizabeth Ann Seton

Bl. Mother Teresa’s private writings

St. Teresa Benedicta (Edith Stein)

Sometimes seeing and understanding another person’s journey is what we need to in order to understand our own journey. The saints I have suggested have very intersting journeys that will keep your attention from cover to cover. They are inspiring. They move us to wonder, think and pray.

I would also encourage that you read the letters of John and James in the NT. They are very deep statements about faith. John is very mystical and James is very applicable. They go well together. They are not as complex as Paul’s letters.

The writings of CS Lewis are very good too.

Hope these help.

Fraternally,

JR :slight_smile:

We don’t find Faith; it finds us. At various times God gives one a tiny gift of Faith, such as your desire to read up on the Church or to pray. If one responds and use that gift well He gives them more; if one does not He takes even that little bit back, or maybe it just dies. So follow your inclinations. They are leading you well. But be patient and take it one step at a time.

With my prayers for your journey - Joe

“Faith is an entirely free gift that God makes to man.” (Catechism #162)

First, ask God for this gift. This is prayer. It might seem “backwards” to pray to God when you’re not sure you believe in Him, but it is a way of opening your heart and being receptive to the movements of the Holy Spirit. If that doesn’t work, pray again. And again …

Since you have expressed some interest in the Rosary, that might be a great way to start. Mary is one of the greatest witnesses of faith of all time. Through the Rosary, ask her to pray with you for the gift of faith. She can obtain all good things for us from her Son Jesus. As you meditate on each Mystery of the Rosary (scenes from the lives of Jesus and Mary), think about how that Mystery required faith on the part of Mary. For example:
[LIST]
*]The Joyful Mysteries — she believed the words of the angel telling her she would be the mother of God.
*]The Sorrowful Mysteries — she consented to watching her Son suffer and die, because she believed He would rise again.
*]The Glorious Mysteries — she saw her Son return to heaven, but believed He was still present in the Church and the sacraments, and she believed she would be with Him again in heaven.
[/LIST]
Pray that you will have faith like hers.

Thanks so much everyone, for the advice so far. I really appreciate your help.:smiley:

Caitlin, I have an idea of what you’re going through. I went through this period in my life towards the end of college and just as I felt like I was back on the “train” again. My brother passed away which made me so angry towards God. After I put the anger aside I realized that this was actually the time I need God in my life the most. For the grief I turned to my pastor at my parish and he’s gotten me through a lot. But the most he did was change my life around completely by teaching me what my faith in God is all about. We had fun rambling questions and debating some things that I thought were wrong. Sorry for the rambling, I guess I’m like you haha :slight_smile:
In the end, he pretty much took me like a little kid knowing really nothing and introducing me to a new world and also learn how to communicate with that world.

So there was a point to that story of course:

1. I suggest you see a priest at your church. You can talk to him very openly and honestly asking whatever you want and not feeling ashamed. He’ll understand that you’re new and still learning. They go through pastoral counseling and he’s a priest of course so he can help you through growing in your faith.

2. Start going to mass every week (Sat. or Sun) You may not know the prayers yet, or the process of mass, but getting in there is better then sitting out. Usually churches have those little kids books to follow the mass, ask if you can take it home to prepare for next weeks mass.

3. Pray. . . .pray. . . .pray You may feel like you don’t know what you’re doing but as my pastor told me…God is our father, and friend…just talk to him like one of them. Praying for me was rough in the beginning, again a suggestion from my pastor was to write letters down to God, and then write a letter back to you of what you think God would say to you. It sounded weird, but I did it and it worked really great.
    For me I always put my intentions for my prayer last and put other people first. Prayer does pay off, you just have to stick with it. and don’t do petty prayers that many people do in the world “I pray I pass this test, please God I’ll do anything, Please God this and that” My opinion those are petty, only when the person never normally prays and then all of a sudden they decide to ask for something and pray.
    God will be there for you in prayer, but you have to give him time to speak and us listen.

4. Last, pick up some books on being catholic.

Well that’s what I got for you!!! Again, sorry for so much writing but I just had to write to you especially since I’ve been in your same situation about a year ago.

you’re in my prayers,
Jenn

Caitlin, I have an idea of what you’re going through. I went through this period in my life towards the end of college and just as I felt like I was back on the “train” again. My brother passed away which made me so angry towards God. After I put the anger aside I realized that this was actually the time I need God in my life the most. For the grief I turned to my pastor at my parish and he’s gotten me through a lot. But the most he did was change my life around completely by teaching me what my faith in God is all about. We had fun rambling questions and debating some things that I thought were wrong. Sorry for the rambling, I guess I’m like you haha :slight_smile:
In the end, he pretty much took me like a little kid knowing really nothing and introducing me to a new world and also learn how to communicate with that world.

So there was a point to that story of course:

1. I suggest you see a priest at your church. You can talk to him very openly and honestly asking whatever you want and not feeling ashamed. He’ll understand that you’re new and still learning. They go through pastoral counseling and he’s a priest of course so he can help you through growing in your faith.

2. Start going to mass every week (Sat. or Sun) You may not know the prayers yet, or the process of mass, but getting in there is better then sitting out. Usually churches have those little kids books to follow the mass, ask if you can take it home to prepare for next weeks mass.

3. Pray. . . .pray. . . .pray You may feel like you don’t know what you’re doing but as my pastor told me…God is our father, and friend…just talk to him like one of them. Praying for me was rough in the beginning, again a suggestion from my pastor was to write letters down to God, and then write a letter back to you of what you think God would say to you. It sounded weird, but I did it and it worked really great.
    For me I always put my intentions for my prayer last and put other people first. Prayer does pay off, you just have to stick with it. and don’t do petty prayers that many people do in the world “I pray I pass this test, please God I’ll do anything, Please God this and that” My opinion those are petty, only when the person never normally prays and then all of a sudden they decide to ask for something and pray.
    God will be there for you in prayer, but you have to give him time to speak and us listen.

4. Last, pick up some books on being catholic.

Well that’s what I got for you!!! Again, sorry for so much writing but I just had to write to you especially since I’ve been in your same situation about a year ago.

you’re in my prayers,
Jenn

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.