How do I find mass readings for a specific date in history?

I am writing my Master’s thesis and I need to know what the mass readings were for August 15, 1981 (the feast of the Assumption).

Does anyone know how to find them?

Thank you! God bless!

That one’s easy. They would have been the same readings in 1981 as they will be for this year (and I checked an old lectionary just to be sure they haven’t changed):

Rev 11,19; 12, 1-6, 10

Psalm 45

ICor 15, 20-26

Lk 1, 39 -56

Great answer from Fr David. However how do you find the liturgical readings for any specific day in HX? Is there a formula to use? Or a calendar to refer to? How did Fr David know this answer so quick?

The last part is easy: the OP was asking about the feast of the Assumption. That made it very easy to lookup. It makes no difference what year it is (either calendar year or ABC), or what day of the week it might happen to be, the readings are always the same. Also, I happened to have an old Lectionary handy (one in use at that time). I checked it against the readings in an 09 missallette just to see if they had not changed (unlikely that they would have changed in any case).

As to the first part, that would depend on just how far back in history one is going. Since this question dealt with the time of the novus ordo Mass, it was very simple. Ask about 1648 and it might take a while!

My 1974 Sacramentary has a table in the front listing the calendar from 1974 to 1999. It would be an easy thing to simply look at a date and determine where it would be in relation to one of the major feasts listed.

For example the year in the OP is 1981:

Year A weekday cycle I (odd number year)

Ash Wed. 4 March; Easter 19 April; Ascension 28 May; Pentecost 7 June; Corpus Christi 18 June; 8 weeks of Ordinal time ending 3 March and resuming on 8 June for 10 weeks. First Sun of Advent 29 Nov.

There does seem to be some kind of misprint in the last column, because every year it only lists between 6 and 10 weeks of Ordinal Time after Pentecost (which can’t possibly be accurate unless there’s a column missing). Curiously, the Lectionary has the exact same information

But other than that, it could be a handy little chart to lookup when a feast was in the past.

How would that be determined? How about 648?

Doesn’t this give the week of Ordinary Time resumed after Easter?

Digitonomy, you would have to look in a missal round that time. In 1648, churches using the Roman Missal would have read verses from Sirach 24 and Luke 10:38-42, on August 15 unless otherwise specified in their propers.

Now that you mention it, apparently yes. Thank you. Even though in some years there does seem to be a week missing. I recall a thread here about “how” that happens, but I can’t remember the reason (that’s why I use an Ordo and/or pre-printed calendar:) )

The 1943 Missal lists the number of Sundays after Pentecost (say 25 for example). Apparently the printer changed the information in the column (number of weeks after vs. what week to resume) but the column heading still says “Weeks in Ordinary Time / after Easter Season / Number of weeks” That’s what confused me until you cleared it up. Someone forgot to change the title.

If you don’t want to figure it out on your own, this is the website you want (to find readings from the year 1963 up until the year 4099…provided there are no changes in the Lectionary, of course! ;)):

easterbrooks.com/personal/calendar/select.html

If you search for August 15, 1981, you will see they have the same readings that Fr. David provided.

This thread: [thread=309433]Liturgical Calendar[/thread].

tee
Calendar Nerd :nerd:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.