how do I gain hope?

after being out of work for 4 years and having nothing but bad things happen to me, I have given up on trying to find a job.

How do I get hope? I seem to have no hope here on earth, so I need hope to survive until the afterlife.

My faith in Jesus is still there and I have hope for the afterlife through him. But here on earth, I have no hope because God is punishing me hard. I don’t know how to survive until the afterlife…I am so worthless.

PRAY … PRAY … PARY. Remember Joseph, son of Jacob, as sold into slavery and thrown in prision for doing nothing wrong.

With that said, third_servant, what type of job are you looking for? Have you thought about changing vocations? locations?

I’ll be praying for you.

PRAY … PRAY … PARY. Remember Joseph, son of Jacob, as sold into slavery and thrown in prision for doing nothing wrong.

With that said, third_servant, what type of job are you looking for? Have you thought about changing vocations? locations?

I’ll be praying for you.

But God keeps saying “no” to my prayers for help.

I ask for a job. No.
I ask for my sufferings to stop. No.
I ask for help in my life. No.
Pleas stop punishing me. No.
and so on and so on.

If it is good, the answer is no.

Prayer doesn’t work. How do I get hope, when God keeps saying “no”

First of all, I looked at your bio and you have the word “worthless” all over the place. Our worth is not defined by whether we have a job or not. Get that through your head first. All human life is worth the same to God. Read the story of Job. That guy had it much, much rougher than you, and he didn’t lose hope. God gives everyone a Cross to bear, some larger than others, but He never gives us more than we can handle. Unite your suffering to those on the Cross. I suggest you get to confession, Mass, and then pray before the exposed Blessed Sacrament. Do you have a home or any family nearby?

What was your employment before you became jobless?

If you are not going to daily Mass now, you could do that, to show God how much you love him third_servant. Light a candle and give your requests to God. Just going to daily Mass is uplifting and will give you a feeling of hope.

Go to a nursing home, and visit with someone that has been abandoned, and you will feel love and hope.

Meet God halfway and he will do the rest. :slight_smile:

:blessyou:
Annie

[quote=AnnieD]If you are not going to daily Mass now, you could do that, to show God how much you love him third_servant. Light a candle and give your requests to God. Just going to daily Mass is uplifting and will give you a feeling of hope.

Go to a nursing home, and visit with someone that has been abandoned, and you will feel love and hope.

Meet God halfway and he will do the rest. :slight_smile:

Annie
[/quote]

That’s an excellent point. Until you find work, do some volunteering. You never know, you might meet someone that will take a liking to you and recommend you for a job somewhere.:slight_smile:

[quote=Genesis315]First of all, I looked at your bio and you have the word “worthless” all over the place. Our worth is not defined by whether we have a job or not.
[/quote]

I’m worthless because God says I’m not supposed to have blessings here on earth. I’m not worth anything enough for him to say “yes” to my cries for help.

but He never gives us more than we can handle.

Excep for me.

. Do you have a home or any family nearby?

I live with my mom in a bad neighborhood.

What was your employment before you became jobless?

information technology.

I don’t care about getting a job. I just want hope during this life. Looks like the only hope there is in the universe is in the afterlife. How do I survive until then?

[quote=Genesis315]That’s an excellent point. Until you find work, do some volunteering. You never know, you might meet someone that will take a liking to you and recommend you for a job somewhere.:slight_smile:
[/quote]

i can’t do that. i need reliable transportation.

busses don’t run good here.

besides, I’d be a hypocrite. I can’t help myself and i’m supposed to help someone else? ugh. that is not going to make me feel better about myself.

What do you do?

What are you trained to do?

What are you willing to do?

Helping other’s WILL make you feel better about yourself, third_servant. It takes your thoughts away from yourself, and trying to help someone, will not only make someone else feel good about themselves, by showing them you care, it will make YOU feel good about yourself too. If you bring a smile to another’s day, you won’t be feeling worthless. Truly you won’t. :slight_smile:

Annie

If you were worthless, God would not have made you because God cannot make anything worthless, period. Maybe the lesson you are supposed to be learning during these tribulations is to trust God.

Let me put it this way:
You’ve gone through a rough period BUT you can still breathe right? That’s a pretty big gift.

You can’t find a job, but you can read and write. That’s a pretty big gift.

Continue this on your own and you will see that God’s goodness far outweighs any difficulties He may have allowed to happen to you. What are you supposed to be learning about God, about your life, etc. during these times of tribulation?

And if all else fails, read Job.

My darling sister, I certainly pray that God helps you in the coming days and months but you must meet Him halfway. Be happy in your suffering.

Your brother in Christ,
Trevor

Start looking at yourself through God’s eyes and not yours.

[quote=dhgray]What do you do?
[/quote]

Try to find hope.

What are you trained to do?

Information technology.

What are you willing to do?

I’ve done all I could do. I can’t do no more.

[quote=AnnieD]Helping other’s WILL make you feel better about yourself, third_servant. It takes your thoughts away from yourself, and trying to help someone, will not only make someone else feel good about themselves, by showing them you care, it will make YOU feel good about yourself too. If you bring a smile to another’s day, you won’t be feeling worthless.
[/quote]

In order for me to do this I require reliable transportation. Something I don’t have.

Besides, I can’t help myself, how can I help others? I’d be a hypocrite.

I do look at myself through God’s eyes.

God only cares about eternity and not here on earth - temporal needs.

so I’m on my own.

All I’m looking for is hope. And God doesn’t want me to have any.

(and I’m not a “sister” - I wish I were, women have an easier time getting jobs here in this city)

[quote=third_servant]Try to find hope.

Information technology.

I’ve done all I could do. I can’t do no more.
[/quote]

Enough is enough…All these kind hearted people are trying to give you words of encouragement. I’M DONE! Straight talk. The IT market has dried up. Unless you specialized or kept current on current technologies, you might as well get out of the field. THERE ARE JOBS out there. Contact a headhunter, go to McDonalds, send your applicant to Street and Sanitation. Start a home base buisness. But most of all QUIT WHINING…TURN OFF YOUR COMPUTER AND GO OUT AND LOOK FOR A JOB!

I’m an IT too, but I let my skills laps so now I work as a Management Analyst. There are jobs.

I do not mean this as an uncharitable posting, just a kick in the pants. God put you on this earth for a reason, it may not be the reason YOU want. You have worth, go and use the gifts He has given you.

If you come to me looking for a job and your attitude is “I am worthless” I guarantee you will not get hired. Do they still publish “What Color is Your Parachute?” great book for skills and interest assessment and getting a true picture of yourself. Feelings of worthlessness are either a symptom of depression, for which you need medical help, or symptom of a deep-rooted spiritual pride that says my sins are worse than anyone else’s and a denial of the Divine Mercy. Since you have all this time on your hands use it to good effect. Pray, spend most of your waking time praying, just drop the “poor little ole me prayers” and praise and thank God, forgive those who have hurt you, and ask forgiveness for yourself. Read scripture, you have the gift of time many of us are longing for. Look at your present situation as a gift from God, not a punishment.

[quote=dhgray]Enough is enough…All these kind hearted people are trying to give you words of encouragement. I’M DONE! Straight talk. The IT market has dried up. Unless you specialized or kept current on current technologies, you might as well get out of the field.
[/quote]

I’ve done specialization and that didn’t work. I tried being a generalist, and that didn’t work. And how do I pay for education when there’s no money? I’m not borrowing money just to wind up being unable to pay. That’s stealing and immoral.

THERE ARE JOBS out there.

No there are not. And I don’t care about a job. I want hope.

Contact a headhunter, go to McDonalds, send your applicant to Street and Sanitation.

I’ve done that. Headhunters can’t find me a job. McD’s says I’m overqualified. S&S (and application to other city positions) went unanswered.

Start a home base buisness.

I’m not starting a pyramid scam.

But most of all QUIT WHINING…TURN OFF YOUR COMPUTER AND GO OUT AND LOOK FOR A JOB!

Tried that for 4 years. It didn’t work. It is not God’s will for me to get a job.

God put you on this earth for a reason, it may not be the reason YOU want. You have worth, go and use the gifts He has given you.

Well, God won’t tell me what the reason is. And what gifts? All the gifts I have can’t get me a job.

I don’t care about getting a job. I just want hope and your post didn’t help in that area.

[quote=puzzleannie]If you come to me looking for a job and your attitude is “I am worthless” I guarantee you will not get hired.

[/quote]

Do you think I am THAT stupid? I KNOW THAT. I can only vent my frustrations on the internet. I got nobody to help me in the real world, so there I have to be professional, unemotional, and I don’t whine there. How patronizing!

Feelings of worthlessness are either a symptom of depression, for which you need medical help,

which I can’t take care of because I have no health insurance

or symptom of a deep-rooted spiritual pride that says my sins are worse than anyone else’s and a denial of the Divine Mercy.

NEVER! If I commit a sin, I confess and do penance. I know God’s mercy is infinite when it comes to spiritual things like sins.

On the other hand, on temporal needs, I struggle to believe that God is being merciful on me there, when I get silence as a response to prayers.

Pray, spend most of your waking time praying, just drop the “poor little ole me prayers”

Prayer doesn’t work.

Look at your present situation as a gift from God, not a punishment.

If this a gift from God, return to sender! I thought gifts are supposed to be GOOD things. Instead of all the evils that befell me.

Now, how do I get hope?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.