How do I get over my fear of ghosts and demons?

I have a huge fear of ghosts and other tormented spiritual beings. The thought of it gives me the creeps and I can’t sleep at night without a light turned on.

I’ve read the stories of the saints being harrassed in their beds by demons and stuff and that imagery freaks me out because I worry the same could happen to me. (And I’m for sure not as mentally tough as those saints are to deal with that!)

So I was wondering if there is any good advice out there to get rid of this fear?

Due to watching science fiction flicks at a tender age, I became afraid of the dark. What I did was to work a graveyard shift job (pun intended). I faced those fears down. However, if these are recurring thoughts, it may be indicative of another problem entirely.

Since you are not being harassed, oppressed or otherwise bothered by demons, but only fear them, what you suffer from is (currently) fear. I see this daily in the cancer world - especially among those who do not have cancer! Unreasonable fear can be a product of anxiety. We live in the age of what seems to be unprecedented anxiety.

That can be addressed via several methods. Talk to Father. Talk to doctor. The solution is there somewhere.

5 Likes

My advice is to stay close to Jesus and He will protect you. As far as your fear goes. I think people should be afraid enough to avoid these things but confident enough in Jesus and their soul to not be paralyzed. It is the demons that should fear anyone who walks with Christ, Mary, and the saints.

2 Likes

True. But God permitted it to happen to them. How many others thousands and thousands of souls were alive at the same time as each of these Saints and were not harrased by demons etc.? Answer - literally thousands of people. He had in mind a specific purpose for these individuals.

Also God knows our strengths and weaknesses and will not allow us/our Faith to be tested beyond our strength/abilities to withstand. I myself, know I am so no where near as beginning to be as holy as these Saints were during their life, so I don’t think God would permit this in my own case.

Fear does not come from God. God is love and peace. satan will do what he can to destroy your peace and undermine your trust in God as much as he can.
Stay strong and trust God. When these fearful thoughts arise in your mind, perhaps thinking ‘nothing will happen to me that God does not will for my good’,will help, or pray Jesus, I trust in Thee; pray to your Guardian Angel - “Angel of God, my guardian dear…” etc.

A Night Prayer for protection
or the three prayers after the Nicene Creed on this Prayers page

5 Likes

Emotions just are. They’re neither good nor bad (although they can be uncomfortable). And as you’ve found out by now, the more you try to directly change a feeling, the more that feeling rears it’s ugly head.

However, there are ways you can indirectly influence the strength and persistence of a feeling.

Acknowledge that you feel the fear. Don’t invite it or feed it, and don’t pretend it isn’t there.
Learn everything you can about what the Church teaches about the world of the supernatural and how we are to deal with it.
Give yourself something else to do to occupy your time. Don’t leave yourself with hours on end for you to torment yourself with obsessive thoughts.
And don’t rule out this anxiety may have an organic cause, so make sure you’re eating proper nutrition, getting enough sleep and exercise and fresh air, an active social life, and if you need to, get seen by your doctor.

2 Likes

Holy Water - sprinkle it around the house.

Saint Michael Prayer - praying at bedtime

Saint Benedict Medal - wear one and ask him for his intercession

6 Likes

Say the Rosary before bedtime and ask the Blessed Mother for sound, untroubled sleep.

5 Likes

I’d say, OP; pray a Rosary asking God to draw a protective circle around yourself that nothing evil can get past and get a blessed crucifix to hang over your headboard as you sleep.

1 Like

That works for my fiancé’s trouble of getting a good night’s sleep.

What do you mean by ghosts? Are you talking about a dead person who’s wandering on earth not aware they are dead?

Have you looked at what Catholicism says (if anything) about “ghosts”?

I’m pretty much the same way but I dont sleep with my light on cause I’m not single anymore. But if I was I would sleep with the light on to. I used to when I was single.

Read a few books such as Dracula and Pet Sematary. It’ll inoculate you.

2 Likes

Fear and anxiety are a choice, and if they are a choice, then that means we do not have to go along with them.

In 2011 I had tests done for cancer, about a month later the doctor phoned and said he urgently wanted to see me, it was non – Hodgkin Lymphoma. This was a name I recognised, our friend had this cancer, and died a few months later. I prayed for the wisdom, strength and peace to do God’s will, whether the cancer was a death sentence, or just an inconvenience. I can only say that from the moment of making this prayer, I have experienced a profound sense of peace, and the thought of cancer has never troubled me for a moment.

Cancer could be a truly worrying process, you wait a month or two for tests, you wait for the results, and you wait for more tests. I have never once prayed for healing, at the age of 62, the prayer for healing seemed too complicated, it might or might not be my time to go. Recognising this profound sense of peace comes from God, gives me reason to be thankful.

2 Likes

Anxiety a choice? In some cases, it can be. However, I believe that in the majority of cases, it is a cognitive disorder and not a poor choice. Some cases indeed result from chemical imbalances. That is certainly not a choice.

And non-Hodgkin’s Lymphoma? We know a little about that.

Have you ever seen an image of Mary beating away demons as she protects her children. It’s my favorite. Ponder on the image, and know Mama Mary can go Mama Bear anytime she wants.
6a00d8341c464853ef01b7c8e26493970b-500wi

1 Like

If you are diagnosed with non-Hodgkin’s Lymphoma, and you know this cancer can kill, this is a genuine reason why you could be fearful and anxious. Or you could accept it and try and get on with life, or you could pray for healing or you could pray to live in peace with this cancer. Cancer is not a choice, but I believe you have choices in how you react to it.

You could take medication to try and make you less anxious; but you are still left with the thought that cancer can kill. All chemicals are created by God, so there is a good reason to pray to God for help.

Pray for spiritual fortitude. The devil is powerless against the faithful.

2 Likes

I used to be one of those. But the day brings enough worries to worry about tomorrow. If and when cancer comes, I will deal with it then.

1 Like

Read:

Watch

1 Like
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.