How do I handle a young daughter apologist?

My 13-year-old daughter has a friend who’s a serious Protestant. My daughter talks with her friend about what Catholics believe and why. Today I found her reading John 6 to her friend to show her why the Church’s understanding of the Eucharist is true, and her friend’s is false. She argues very charitably, but aggressively, if you know what I mean.

I’m worried that she will do her friend more harm than good, by shaking her friend’s relationship to her church before she’s old enough to replace it with a relationship with the Catholic church. Also, as a mother, I think I’d be upset if one of my daughter’s friends was doing something analogous with her.

On the other hand, I don’t want to discourage my daughter. Obviously, I’m delighted that she understands her Faith so well, and cares so much about it. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Dear S,

Release control. Stay out of it and give the Holy Spirit some room. But do pray–as will I.

Fr. Vincent Serpa, O.P.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.