How do I help a Catholic friend struggling with Orthodoxy?

A very dear friend of mine converted from Lutheranism to the Byzantine Catholic church a few months ago. Initially, he was happy with this, but now he’s struggling. He’s been watching and reading tons of material about Catholicism, Eastern Orthodoxy, and Oriental Orthodoxy, and obsessing over which church is the best, truest, or most valid.

Recently he told me all this research now has him questioning the authority of the Pope. I’m worried; I seems like his search isn’t yielding good fruits, and I don’t think God wants him to persist in it. I have an intuition it’s dangerous for him to attempt to find answers to his questions alone, without the guidance of a faithful Catholic who’s well educated on the topic of ecumenism. And I sincerely do want to help him, but I don’t know how.

Suggest he talk to his pastor. Eastern Catholic priests have far more insight into the issues that separate Eastern Catholics and Eastern Orthodox, and would be in a better position to guide your friend.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.