How Do I Increase My Love For God?

Hello everyone,how do i increase my love for Him.
Everyday,I pray a full rosary,on Sundays,serve as an altarserver, and sometimes go for morning mass(weekday mass).But I feel like Im not doing it for God.
I don’t want to be called a lukewarm Christian.
And I feel that doing the above is useless if you don’t have love for God.
I want to love God with all my heart,strength,mind body,but how do I do it?:confused:

God Bless:)

“Bintulu” My humble opinion. Perseverence. It sounds like you’re doing all the right things. Keep it up! :thumbsup: Remember… God needs nothing from us. We are mere creatures. But He is very pleased when we make efforts to honor Him. I think you’re doing just that.

Does your parish also have Eucharistic Adoration? Spending time in silence before the Lord… is also very beneficial.

God bless you. And don’t become discouraged.

Maybe you could try reading about the lives of saints, they will probably inspire you and rekindle the fire for God in your heart. You could also try to pray more personally, talking to God and asking Him to fill your heart with love for Him. Reading the Bible would also be a good idea. :slight_smile:

Hi, I think it’s a great idea to learn to love God with all your heart :slight_smile: this is what we all should aspire to. I think if you have this desire you’re already on the right path! :slight_smile:

Remember love is not a feeling. It’s a choice. Don’t measure your love for God by how much love you feel. Rather, try to be obedient to His will in everything. Start with the simple little everyday things, and the big things would be easier. Also, remember our love for God goes together with our love for our neighbour.

If you’re looking for particular practices…

I’ll try to give you some but this is by no means a complete list.

• prayer. It sounds obvious but it’s so important. The more we pray, the more we get to know God. The more we get to know Him, the easier it is to love Him. Say Church prayers and also those in your own words. Just be completely honest and open with God. Jesus told St Faustina, “tell Me all, My child, hide nothing from Me, because My loving Heart, the Heart of your Best Friend, is listening to you”. :slight_smile:

• the Sacraments. Receive the Eucharist as frequently as you can. Try to really give Jesus all your love when you receive Him. Again, this is not about feelings. If you INTEND to give Him all your love, He will receive it. Always keep in mind during the Mass that the Eucharist is really the living Jesus and not a ‘dead object’. Also, maybe it would help saying the Spiritual Communion prayer throughout the day. Stay after Mass to pray before the Tabernacle…remember, Jesus is all alone there, all the time, and is really glad when we visit Him.

• meditate on His love for you revealed in the Passion and in the Eucharist. Do the Stations of the Cross.

• grow in your devotion to Mary. :slight_smile: the more we are devoted to her, the closer to she leads us to her Son. She loves Him more than anyone in the world. She’s the PERFECT person to teach us how to love God. Ask her to teach you.

• Denial of self. This helps conform our will to God’s will, which helps us love Him more purely. Start with the little things. :slight_smile:

• ask God for the grace to break any sinful habits, go to Confession when you can, try to obey Him. But when you sin, trust in His mercy.

• Eucharistic Adoration! This REALLY helps us learn to love God. I don’t know how often you go. The key here is perseverence. The more you go the better it gets. The first few times I went I could barely stay half and hour. But after a while it became really wonderful.

• try Catholic devotions like the Sacred Heart devotion. It really helps us love God too.
    our.homewithgod.com/sacredheart/

I’ve also found that certain books really helped me. I’ll give you a list of them just in case:

• The Practice of the Love of Jesus Christ by St Ligouri. This sounds perfect, because the whole book is about how to learn to love God more!! :slight_smile: and it’s written by a great Saint and a Doctor of the Church.

• Story of a Soul by St Therese.

• Divine Mercy in My Soul by St Faustina

• True Devotion to Mary by St Louis de Montfort (the more devoted we are to Mary, the more grace we receive to love her Son)

here’s a link that might help as well… remember, it’s not about how MUCH you do, but how much love you do it with. Try to put your heart into these practices and they’ll work better for you.

freewebs.com/wallmell/LiguoriMaxims.htm

here’s an online book that really helped me with Adoration:
freewebs.com/wallmell/LiguoriVisits.htm

also, you might want to try asking for the intercession of St Aloysius Gonzaga because he loved God very much and had a deep ‘interior prayer life’. If that makes sense lol.

In fact reading about the Saints is always very helpful and encouraging :slight_smile: there are many great ones to choose from.

hope that helps…

God bless!!

love your neighbor as yourself
service is the answer

Ask God to increase your love for Him, for the selfsame God who is inspiring you to love Him more will give you the words to ask Him to increase your love for Him.

Devotion to the Sacred Heart of Jesus en.wikisource.org/wiki/Devotion_to_the_Sacred_Heart_of_Jesus#Chapter_II._Obstacles_which_prevent_us_from_gathering_all_the_fruit_we_ought.2C_from_the_devotion_to_the_Sacred_Heart_of_Jesus_Christ.

As the devotion to the Sacred Heart of Jesus Christ is useful, easy, reasonable, and solid, in the highest degree, there are few persons of solid virtue who do not relish it and practice it. But all do not feel that ardent love for Jesus Christ, nor that true sweetness which he imparts to those who love Him, though these special favours are the fruit of devotion to His sacred Heart. Whatever impedes the progress of souls in perfection, is an obstacle to the signal graces which this devotion procures us. These obstacles, which few are found to overcome, dry up, as it were, the fountain of these great graces, and are the reason why Almighty God communicates Himself only to a few. We have been in the habit of complaining that we scarcely ever taste, in our practices of devotion, that heavenly sweetness which the saints enjoyed, and which, though not necessarily a part of sanctity, helps very much to make Saints. we experience nothing but dryness, tepidity, and disgust, in our exercises of piety: we have no consolation, no sweetness in prayer, no sentiment of devotion, either at holy Communion or Mass. We feel coldness and weariness in all that ought to be our greatest delight and our deepest interest. Upon this, what do we do? We try to console ourselves by the thought that sanctity does not consist in sensible devotion. But whilst we are so tepid and imperfect, we have reason to fear that it is in punishment of our want of fidelity, that Almighty God does not allow us to experience that interior sweetness, and those spiritual consolations, which would help very much to make us more courageous and more perfect.

The path of perfection is not different now, from that in which the Saints have walked. They all acknowledge, that it is not possible to conceive greater pleasure than is felt in the service of God. They tell us that therein the soul is replensihed with so great sweetness, that the greatest austerities and labours are delightful to her. She does not know what is to feel disgust or melancholy. What appears most frightful, causes in her a joy so pure and perfect, that the most terrible misfortunes of lie cannot trouble it. They assure us that even the most severe trials which Almighty God sends them, have their sweetness and consolation; that sin alone can destroy the peace they enjoy; that Almighty God inspires them with so much confidence in His mercy, that their own failings do not disturb their peace.

These are not the sentiments of a few only. It is what all the true servants of God, of every rank, of every nation, and in all states of life, have experienced. It is what they have confirmed at the moment of death, that moment of the greatest sincereity. What motive can we possible have for imagining that persons so wise, of a probity and virtue so universally recognized, should have wished to deceive us or themselves. With so many irreproachable witnesses, who all speak from experience, and with the greatest unanimity, can any reasonable person doubt the truth of a fact so well established? Whence is it, then, that amongst so many who at the present day profess piety, and seem to walk in the footsteps of these Saints, so few are to be found who receive the same graces? Without doubt, it is because there are very few whose virtue is really solid. Sanctity does not, it is true, consist in these feeliings of sensible devotion; but it is no less certan that this interior joy, that peace which all the misfortunes of life cannot disturb, that perfect submission to God’s will, that sweet confidence in His mercy, which is what is meant by this sensible devotion, has been the portion of all the Saints, and is still of all the true servants of God.

We have now seen what true sweetness there is in the devotion to the Sacred Heart of Jesus Christ. The fruit of this devotion is a most ardent and tender love for Jesus Christ, accompanied by that interior joy, that sweetness, that unalterable peace, which surpass all thought, and are so many gifts inseparable from the perfect love of Jesus Christ. We are now to show what are the obstacles which hinder us from deriving this fruit from it. They may be reduced to four: great tepidity in the service of God; a great fund of self-love; a secret pride; and certain passions, that we have not taken care to mortify in the beginning of our conversion. From these four heads, as from four fatal sources, proceed all these failings and imperfections, which keep so many souls back in the path of piety, destroy the most noble designs, and the most generous resolutions, and finally, render the most holy practices of devotion fruitless.

Suggestions: It is impossible to love God without also loving our neighbor, practice loving your neigbor by spending time praying for you enemies and involving yourself in a service activity - helping at a soup kitchen perhaps - at least once a week.

Start frequenting Confession more frequently and feeling a deep sorrow at each of your sins, and make a sincere and determined effort to weed out every trace of sin in your life.

Read Devotion to the Sacred Heart of Jesus, True Devotion to Mary, The Secret of the Rosary, and St. Maria Faustina’s Diary: Divine Mercy in My Soul with attention and devotion and reflectively, putting important passages in a journal to remind onself, and striving particularly against the sins of great tepidity in the service of God, a great fund of self-love, a secret pride, and certain unmoritifed passions.

Strive to possess the heart of a servant, or even better, a slave, in service of Christ and all as long as others do not lead one apart from Christ. See this Zeitun, Egypt Marian apparition youtube.com/watch?v=S_X8l9OcEDI&mode=related&search Understand and put these words of Jesus into practice, Anyone who wants to be great among you, must be your servant and anyone who wants to be first among you, must be your slave. Just as Jesus came not be served but to serve and to give his life as a ransom for many. Learn that the Kingdom of Heaven is for everybody but not all see it and not all enter it. Then do not be surprised if you see it given to others by yourself. Try and understand that our love is for everyone on Earth, so do not speak harshly to each other, for the Lord will repay with judgment, those you are judging. Continue to proclaim around the world the Kingdom of God, and that the messages of Jesus and Mary are meant to lead you to repentance. Live as if it is your last day on Earth. Pray for peace in your Hearts.

Therefore, since are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us rid ourselves of every burden and sin that clings to us and persevere in running the race that lies before us while keeping our eyes fixed on Jesus, the leader and perfecter of faith. For the sake of the joy that lay before him he endured the cross, despising its shame, and has taken his seat at the right of the throne of God.
Consider how he endured such opposition from sinners, in order that you may not grow weary and lose heart.
In your struggle against sin you have not yet resisted to the point of shedding blood.
You have also forgotten the exhortation addressed to you as sons: "My son, do not disdain the discipline of the Lord or lose heart when reproved by him;
for whom the Lord loves, he disciplines; he scourges ever son he acknowledges."
Endure your trials as “discipline”; God treats you as sons. For what “son” is there whom his father does not discipline?
If you are without discipline, in which all have shared, you are not sons but bastards.
Besides this, we have had our earthly fathers to discipline us, and we respected them. Should we not (then) submit all the more to the Father of spirits and live?
They disciplined us for a short time as seemed right to them, but he does so for our benefit, in order that we may share his holiness.
At the time, all discipline seems a cause not for joy but for pain, yet later it brings the peaceful fruit of righteousness to those who are trained by it.
So strengthen your drooping hands and your weak knees.
Make straight paths for your feet, that what is lame may not be dislocated but healed.
Strive for peace with everyone, and for that holiness without which no one will see the Lord.

See to it that no one be deprived of the grace of God, that no bitter root spring up and cause trouble, through which many may become defiled,
that no one be an immoral or profane person like Esau, who sold his birthright for a single meal.
For you know that later, when he wanted to inherit his father’s blessings, he was rejected because he found no opportunity to change his mind, even though he sought the blessing with tears.Hebrews 12:17

If you question why in fact you should believe in Christ at all, read The Case for Christ by Lee Strobel, former atheist, Yale law graduate, Chicago Tribune Legal editor who sought to prove Christianity wrong and did a well-researched historical investigation of the evidence for Christ that instead lead to his conversion and his new life as a Protestant minister. amazon.com/Case-Christ-Journalists-Personal-Investigation/dp/0310209307

Review the Marian apparitions and the Eucharistic miracles, particularly the Lanciano Eucharistic miracle therealpresence.org/eucharst/mir/lanciano.html and the Kibeho, Rwanda and Fatima, Portugal apparitions.
Eucharistic Miracles are when the Eucharist turns into a flesh and blood Host. The Lanciano Eucharistic miracle was first studied by Dr. Eduardo Linoli in 1970-1971. He was a professor of anatomy, pathological histology, chemistry and clinical microsocpy, and the former head of the Laboratory of Pathological Anatomy at the Hospital of Arezzo, published in pub med: Quad Sclavo Digan. 1971. Sep; 7(3): 661-74. Histological, immunological and biochemiccal studies on the flesh and blood of the eucharistic miracle of Lanciano (8th century) ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/4950729?
New York Times: Honoring Victims of the Rwandan Bloodbath query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9400E4D81738F93BA35757C0A96F958260&n=Top/News/World/Countries%20and%20Territories/Rwanda

Online Adoration of the Sacred Heart of Jesus in the Blessed Sacrament louisville-catholic.net/WebCameras/AdorationChapel/tabid/825/Default.aspx
True Devotion to the Blessed Virgin fisheaters.com/totalconsecrationmontfort.html
**Secret of the Rosary ** montfort.org.uk/Writings/Rosary.html
Reflections on True Devotion to Mary by His Holiness Pope John Paul II http://www.michaeljournal.org/montfort.htm
**The Glories of Mary, ** by St. Alphonsus de Liguori, one of the 33 Doctors of the Catholic Church, explains Hail Holy Queen http://www.catholictradition.org/Mary/glories.htm
On the Dolors of Mary by St. Alphonsus de Liguori, one of the 33 Doctors of the Catholic Church, explains the sufferings of Our Lady http://writer.zoho.com/public/immaculate/Seven-dolors
Marialis Cultus (Apostolic Exhortation for the Right Ordering and Development of Devotion to the Blessed Virgin Mary of His Holiness, February 2, 1974 by His Holiness Pope Paul VI ewtn.com/library/PAPALDOC/P6MARIAL.HTM
Devotion to the Sacred Heart of Jesus en.wikisource.org/wiki/Devotion_to_the_Sacred_Heart_of_Jesus#FIRST_POINT._.E2.80.94_The_ardent_desire_Jesus_Christ_feels_to_be_with_us.
Divine Mercy Chaplet ewtn.com/Devotionals/mercy/dmmap.htm
Rosary Confraternity Enrollment rosary-center.org/nconform.htm (As Pope Leo XIII said in his encyclical on the Confraternity, *“Whenever a person fulfills his obligation of reciting the Rosary according to the rule of the Confraternity, he includes in his intentions all its members and they render him the same service many times over.” * Each member includes deceased fellow members as well; and thus he knows that in turn he will be included in the prayers of hundreds of thousands both now and hereafter.
Cathechism of the Catholic Church vatican.va/archive/catechism/ccc_toc.htm
Litany of Humility ewtn.com/Devotionals/prayers/humility.htm
**Litany of the Blessed Virgin ** intermirifica.org/Mary/marylitany.htm
**Cathechis of the Popes on Mary, Mother of God, ** catechesisofthepopes.wikispaces.com/Mary
Mystical City of God themostholyrosary.com/mystical-city.htm
In Defense of The City of God Mystica Civitate Dei: dailycatholic.org/issue/05Jun/jun10tim.htm - to summarize the research of three priests on the official decision of the Holy Roman Catholic Church regarding The Mystical City of God by Venerable Mary of Jesus of Agreda and to ascertain thereby whether it is permitted for anyone of any authority whatsoever to forbid the reading of this extraordinary book.
Diary of St. Maria Faustina Divine Mercy in My Soul saint-faustina.com/Diary/DMIMS1.shtml

If you read Matthew 25 verses 31-46, you see what Jesus says is the way to love Him, and "a person who does not love the brother that he can see, cannot love God whom he has never seen.” [1 letter of John 4:20-21]

“Walk with simplicity in the way of the Lord and do not torment your spirit. Learn to hate your faults but to hate them calmly.” (Saint Padre Pio) “Heaven is filled with converted sinners of all kinds, and there is room for more” (St. Joseph Cafaso)

God, love and glorify Yourself in us

God, how can I fulfil Your commandments to others and to love and worship God above all?
Unlike holy souls who effuse great joy and praise, my attempts to love and worship You seem very poor. I am child of a scientific and empirical era in a world of physical realities and challenges. I desire faith in Your loving action in temporal affairs even where it is hidden. I desire to praise and love in whatever way You desire, however little understanding I have of Your ways and truth.

It seems to me that loving You is about choices. Jesus witnessed that our salvation depends upon love and service of God in other persons. He proclaimed that, “Whatever you do for even the least of my little ones, you do for Me” who am God. Therefore, we love and worship You in our care of others.

You command that we love others enough to strive even unto death of something of ourselves for their welfare, as Jesus did. I ask You to love others wholeheartedly in my thoughts, prayers, my words and actions. Please bring about blessings for them even in my worst failures to witness Your love. Please develop my trust in Your loving action in temporal affairs even where it remains hidden.

We glorify You in the Eucharist, that summit of worship, petition, and thanksgiving, God’s own offering and fulfilment through Son and Spirit, with the whole Body of Christ. We worship You in the Eucharist as individuals, yet as brothers and sisters of the community. Let me, let us, thus love and worship You in communion.

Blessed be Jesus, who gives us redemption and Eucharist. Blessed be the Spirit who channels His Gift, and gives us creative ways to praise and love God. Blessed be God who is able to give Yourself the honour and praise that we desire to give You.

God alone can appreciate the depths of God, therefore love and delight Yourself in us so that we truly love You. I ask that whatever my activity or state of mind, You will love and adore Yourself in me, our God. Delight Yourself within me in every moment of my existence. This is possible to You for whom “nothing is impossible.” Genesis 8:14]

[INDENT]“We love because he first loved us” (1 John 4:19).

“Anyone who loves God in the depths of his heart has already been loved by God. In fact, the measure of a man’s love for God depends upon how deeply aware he is of God’s love for him” (Diadochus of Photiké).
[/INDENT]God loved you first. Your love for him is always a response.

Be aware of that mystery: God loved you, before you ever even thought about loving him.

Meditate on what that means: God freely chose to love you, to give you the gift of all gifts—the gift of himself.

It is in the awareness of God’s love for you, that your heart opens up to receiving gratitude as his gift to you.

And it is in that gratitude that you will love God even more, and realize that your increase of love for him is itself his gift to you.

Since you go to daily Mass, you might recall this preface which summarizes the ever-deepening spiral of the gift of gratitude that God offers each of us:
[INDENT]Father all-powerful and ever-living God, we do well always and everywhere to give thanks.

You have no need of our praise, yet our desire to thank You is itself Your gift. Our prayer of thanksgiving adds nothing to Your greatness, but makes us grow in Your grace, through Jesus Christ our Lord.

Glory and honor are His as heaven and earth, angels and archangels, cry out in unending praise . . .
[/INDENT]

Love through me

Our God, unless You love through me, I cannot love You above all, or cherish other persons, as Jesus loves me. Know, love and serve through me, for my attempts may be tainted with selfish responses or kindly mistakes.

Others’ logic and reality before You is mystery to me, for I have only my own consciousness. I know something of my sinfulness, yet what appears to be ‘sin’ in others may instead be a differing virtue, or a product of innocence or ignorance that only appears to be sin or error.

I ask You Who-Are-Love to be my love and service of others, welcoming everyone as Your beloved. I want to celebrate Your love, beauty and inspiration in others, even if it is obscure.

Let Your Spirit fill my heart, mouth and prayer with gifts of Your love and truth for others. Let me be endowment of Your own self, Your sacrament, and our gentle Mother present to them. I ask this despite my evident failures in loving.

Please free me wholly into Your love, wisdom, and compassion. I wait humbly in my daily efforts, knowing that in Your mercy You will grant my prayer to love Yourself in me with all strength and being, and to love others in me with Jesus’ love.

The most perfect love we can have is sacrificial love. Jesus had this and sacrificed himself for us in a spirit of sacrificial love. If you persevere and never feel any comfort or consolation or even the will to do it then you are showing our Lord that you love him intensely. Love is not a feeling, it’s an act of he will. Perhaps our Lord is testing you to see how much you love him. Hang in there and don’t worry about the way you feel. Mother Teresa had a dark night where she got no consolation for 50 yrs. This most likely will not happen to you. Bad times end and good times do come. Whichever we experience we think it will last forever but it doesn’t. If you persevere your love for God will be much greater at the other side. And you will have grown. God bless.:slight_smile:

Great post.

I think if we feel NOTHING and God seems far away but we still come to Him and just tell Him that we love Him… and believe that He hears… that is an act of love because our only consolation at this time is that we are pleasing God, while we are suffering ourselves. St Therese said, it’s enough for her if Jesus feels her love, even if she feels nothing :slight_smile:

and St Padre Pio said, God loves us so tenderly but if we don’t feel His love that is just because He wants to humble us.

God bless

That you want to love God more shows you do love him. That you don’t feel it shows God is preparing you to ba able to love him more perfectly. Apart from that you can pray something like,

Lord I want to love you. I accept all you do in me. I embrace your will wholehearteddly and desire to love you and do your will in all things. Do with me as you will. Purify me and cleanse me of my sins, my self love and set me aflame with love for you. A love that desires nothing more than to please you and fulfill your will. Help me to see you in all and to understand that to love my neighnour is to love you. Take my life and lead me where you will. I want only to please you. Amen.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.