How do I interact with a previous boyfriend?

5 months ago, I broke up with my then-boyfriend of 2 years. We had a great relationship and I really appreciate the time that we spent together. I definitely learned a lot about myself and others. Unfortunately, I eventually just couldn’t see us having a good marriage.

I am looking for advice on how to transition from break-up avoidance to once-in-a-while interactions. We haven’t talked at all throughout this time except for a couple texts, and I haven’t seen him much either. However, when I go home at Christmas, we’ll most probably see each other at Mass, sing together in a choir, etc. I do not feel right about complete avoidance forever. How do I talk and act with someone that I have so many memories with?

The two of you will realize that things just weren’t meant to be. Once you two accept that then transitioning to friendship shouldn’t be to hard.

Yes, you two will have your memories of the relationship and a few inside jokes. In short, it will be a special platonic friendship.

It is important to be polite and friendly, but with a distance. You don’t want to give the wrong impression. Have a little chat on how you’ve both been and leave it at that. it helps to have people around, so meeting at church sounds ideal in terms of it being less awkward. Maybe you can be friends at some point, but I doubt that something like that is possible so soon after a breakup.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.