How do I interpret this?

What does this mean?

Some imprudently and indiscreetly hold that evolution, which has not been fully proved even in the domain of natural sciences, explains the origin of all things, and audaciously support the monistic and pantheistic opinion that the world is in continual evolution.

From

vatican.va/holy_father/pius_xii/encyclicals/documents/hf_p-xii_enc_12081950_humani-generis_en.html

Does this mean that Catholics are forbidden to believe evolution continues today?

From

vatican.va/holy_father/pius_xii/encyclicals/documents/hf_p-xii_enc_12081950_humani-generis_en.html

Does this mean that Catholics are forbidden to believe evolution continues today? Somebody smarter than I will have a better answer but I believe that all this means is that Catholics are required to believe that human beings are distinct from all other animals and that the human soul is, indeed, not subject to evolution.

You have to keep reading. From that same document:

“The magisterium of the Church does not forbid that, in conformity with the present state of human sciences and sacred theology, research and discussions, on the part of men experienced in both fields, take place with regard to the doctrine of evolution, in as far as it inquires into the origin of the human body as coming from pre-existent and living matter—for the Catholic faith obliges us to hold that souls are immediately created by God. However, this must be done in such a way that the reasons for both opinions, that is, those favorable and those unfavorable to evolution, be weighed and judged with the necessary seriousness, moderation, and measure, and provided that all are prepared to submit to the judgment of the Church, to whom Christ has given the mission of interpreting authentically sacred Scripture and of defending the dogmas of faith” (HG 36).

See here for more info on this subject:

catholic.com/thisrock/2004/0401bt.asp

I’m not sure exactly what points of this encyclical are in question.

Catholics must believe in creation ex nihilo, the special creation of the soul, and monogenesis.

I was inquiring as to what this meant:

and **pantheistic opinion that the world is in continual evolution.

I think the key portion of the quoted section is highlighted below.

Evolution may be true and may explain many things.

It does not however explain the “origin of all things”.

Chuck

Some imprudently and indiscreetly hold that evolution, which has not been fully proved even in the domain of natural sciences, explains the origin of all things, and audaciously support the monistic and pantheistic opinion that the world is in continual evolution. ****

Pantheism is a philosophical framework, and one that is false. That is what the sentence is referring to. The ideas of pantheism as they relate to God and creation are incompatible with the Cahtolic Faith.

I believe you also asked:

Does this mean that Catholics are forbidden to believe evolution continues today?

I suggest that you get a copy of Cardinal Christoph Schönborn’s excellent book, “Chance or Purpose?”, I listened to him speak on evolution of CA Live! ExcellentClick to listen to MP3 (right-click to download)

I think there is a great deal of very useful info that can be gleaned from this man of God and it might be well worthwhile for us to bring some of his insights and comments to this discussion.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.