How do I invite someone to a Mass celebrated by a bishop?

My husband and I will celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary this July. Since a bishop will be celebrating the Mass, I’m not sure what would be the appropriate wording for the invitations, which need to be sent ASAP! The ceremony will be held at the cathedral with a small number of guests, probably 35-40. Do we call this a “renewal of vows”?

Since there is such a small number of expected guests, the easiest, classiest, and possibly cheapest way to handle the invitations is to write a brief letter to each of your guests on nice stationery. You could say:

Dear (name),

In honor of our silver wedding anniversary, George and I will receive a nuptial blessing at a Mass presided at by the Most Reverend Thomas G. Smith, Bishop of Podunk. The Mass will be held at the Cathedral of Our Lady of the Highway in Podunk on Saturday, July 18, at one in the afternoon. We hope you will be able to join us for the Mass and for the small celebration to follow in our home. Please let us know whether you will be able to attend.

Sincerely yours,
(signature)

[quote=mosche1]Do we call this a “renewal of vows”?
[/quote]

No. Please don’t. Marriage vows last a lifetime and do not need to be “renewed.” What you are receiving is a blessing on your marriage on the occasion of a milestone anniversary.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.